My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grecotel Amirandes the second week in September, we had a great stay - lovely food, and this was an ideal hotel for just chilling out for the week. The public areas in this hotel are stunning, the staff friendly and proficient, and there are some lovely touches about this hotel like the constant supply of fresh towels at the pool, beautiful pool area and lovely surroundings, but there are also a few fails that definitely detracted something from our stay.
We had a lovely warm welcome with reception staff greeting us with fresh orange and cool towels - very welcome after a late arrival.
Our room was extremely comfortable - double size with a day bed in the corner. Always cleaned to a really high standard, although I would say that the room was comfortable as opposed to five star luxury.
The pool area is outstanding, and we ate a few times in the pool side bar - the food was excellent, and although a little more expensive that cafes and bars in the surrounding area the portions were huge, and the food really fresh. There is also waiter service in the pool area throughout the day, and the staff come around with free melon slices and water.
We were half board, and the restaurant for evening meals is stunning (mostly outdoors, water features etc). The food was great - always fresh and tasty, but maybe not quite the selection I would have expected from a 5 star hotel. We found the wine on offer at this restaurant was on the whole really expensive, and resorted to getting our own from the local supermarket and drinking it before dinner....however on our last night we ate at one of the a la carte restaurants and found the wine selection better and cheaper!
On the whole the drink is very pricey in the hotel, which was disappointing (over 10 Euro for a vodka and tonic and 13 Euros for a cocktail), so we ended up wandering a 100 yards up the road to the local Taverna where we got 3 rounds for 20 Euros.
The biggest disappointment was that this hotel is not quite the haven of peace and quiet we were expecting. Our room over looked the reception area, and at night there is a lot of noise from the live acts (which do stop at 11:30). There is reasonable sound proofing between the rooms, and good sound proofing between the floors. However there is little sound proofing between the corridor and the room, and practically none between the room and the outside world....which was exceptionally problematic when at least 3 sets of our neighbours sat out in the balconies drinking until about 2 or 3 am while getting generally riotous and very loud!
On the whole we had an enjoyable holiday, although minus a good few hours sleep...my advice - invest in a decent set of earplugs!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amirandes 5 star hotel in Crete, is a sparkling exclusive resort on the coast of east Crete. Themed around the lagoons that swirl through its centre, the luxury hotel in Crete covers a 70,000 sq m beachfront estate comprising of eight restaurants, sandy beaches, Elixir Spa with authentic Ayurveda treatments, outdoor Olympic-size seawater pool, over 60 private pools and extensive children's facilities. The sophisticated guestrooms suites and villas feature indulgent details such as private gyms, home cinema and state-of-the-art bathrooms with colour-therapy and aromatherapy Jacuzzi bathtubs. Refined and considerate service mirrors the Resort's meticulous attention to detail and utmost respect for the privacy of its guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Prestigia and Agoda so you can book your Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grecotel Amirandes Hotel Gouves
- Grecotel Amirandes Amnissos
- Grecotel Amirandes Hotel Amnissos
- Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort Gouves, Crete