Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Algotels
StayForLong
2,629 results
All reviews tholos bar across the road sea view stone bar main pool veranda bar relaxing pool shared pool open plan lovely hotel breakfast and dinner relaxing holiday free bottle buffet style half board sun loungers bottle of water
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 June 2021 via mobile

The hotel property is very nice with 3 main pools a hydro pool, a spa, bar etc. The rooms and bathroom are small with basic amenities...but they were clean. There is a refrigerator, tv and a safe. The lighting is weird in the room where there are only overhead lights which are very bright and hot. The air conditioner didn't cool very well even though it was set on the lowest setting. The ocean is an the rougher side but okay when you go out a little ways. Only one restaurant was opened for breakfast and dinner both were buffets style for each meal. Fabulous view at the restaurant especially if like watching sunsets. I liked that they had a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables available for both meals. I usually don't like the food in the chaffing dishes so I shy away from those items. The pizza was delicious if you like a thin crust simple cheese pizza. The woman overseeing the restaurant can be a little overbearing but I guess she is doing her job. They give you one beach towel in your room so you just keep exchanging that one everyday.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ramadama
Katja Kemmeren, General Manager at The Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2021

Dear Ramadama

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Island. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our pools, the cleanliness of the hotel and the fabulous view and the sunsets from our restaurant.

Regarding the air conditioning, we are really sorry for that inconvenience, if only you had mentioned it at the reception, a member of our team would have adjusted the temperature to your preference on the spot.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again on your next Cretan adventure!

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2021 via mobile

August 2019,,,,,,Best Hotel in Greece. Second time at this amazing hotel for our honeymoon with beautiful staff . Christina, Marina, Irini and Angelica made our time so special. If you want the best greek holiday ever this is for you. Don't forget to pop into Maria yannis bar which is 50yds up the road and Dimitra Taverna almost opposite.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexmathias496

Dearest Mr. Mathias,

Kalispera and warm greetings from Crete!!!

Satisfying our returning guests can sometimes be a challenging service, since we need to constantly keep improving ourselves. We are so glad that we managed to do that on this occasion!

We will happily share this review with the whole team and especially with the people that you mention by name.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope that we will see you again soon!

Sunny regards,
The Island Hotel Team

Reviewed 21 November 2020

This is a review of a hotel, not a location, but that said, although I very much like Crete and the wonderful fishing villages with turquoise waters and places like Elounda, Chania and Rethymon, Gouves itself is not a particularly interesting or scenic location, and that's where the hotel is. The good thing about the location though, is that it is only a 20 minute drive from Heraklion, so if you are keen to get to your hotel quickly, this is ideal. It is also a 20 minute bus ride to Heronissos, the nearest larger tourist town.
The hotel has its own beach area just across a small beach road, and the use of the sunbeds and umbrellas was included in the price. There was always plenty of room in August, but I am guessing it might have been busier in pre-Covid times.
The hotel has three pools for public use, with a variety of sun "beds" with canopies and the usual loungers. At the main pool a local DJ played chill out music. It's not particularly my thing but I didn't mind it. There was a "relaxing pool" which was quieter, and a pool nearer the beach. The complex is actually quite large and my first impressions of the hotel were very good; a pleasant layout with palm trees and Grecian urns. By the main pool there was a restaurant/bar and we thought the quality of the food was good, although a little expensive for Greece. Our room was near the back of the hotel so did not have a particularly great view, and the room was not particularly big either. The bathroom was quite small and I didn't like the way the sink area was not properly separated from the sleeping area other than by a roller blind - weird. You could choose to have the room cleaned daily, or every other day, or even weekly - obviously a Covid thing. I actually thought th is was a good idea but couldn't see why you would want to wait a week for clean towels. Beach towels could be changed every day in the spa area, which looked very nice.

If you got there at the right time the setting for meals was very nice, under a canopy overlooking the beach. Lovely. This was especially nice at breakfast, although some of the seating was actually inside too. The arrangement for meals was buffet service, but in an effort to control hygiene during the pandemic only staff were allowed to serve the food. Fair enough, but this sometimes led to queues, and it could be irritating having to go in one line for toast and another for butter. It reminded me of a childhood Butlins holiday in this respect. I realize it probably isn't the norm, but the situation might have been solved by hiring a few more staff. You could also order from a menu of three options which would be served at the table. The food was OK, but I didn't find it particularly authentic or hot, and cuts of meat, such as chicken, were legs or thigh, which, for a five star hotel, is not what I would expect. For me, as a pescatarian, there were not enough fresh fish or vegetable dishes. I only had dessert once, but there was plenty of choice, and plenty of people seemed impressed by it. For me the best meal was breakfast, as I like copious amounts of fresh fruit, and the fruit station was always replenished quickly. The greek yoghurt and honey was also nice. Tea and coffee was always made with tepid water brought to the table. We went on a half board basis, which meant all drinks, including bottled water, had to be paid for. I personally thought the food at the poolside restaurant was far nicer than in the restaurant, probably because it was cooked to order and fresher. The Greek salads there were enormous and delicious, and the bar staff in that area were the friendliest and politest, although one lady in the morning breakfast area (Elvira?) was always chirpy and polite.

We met quite a few people of different nationalities there. A French couple explained how they had their own private pool. There were several rooms that shared a pool with a neighbouring room or were completely private; I am guessing at a huge premium. Our room was by no means cheap; probably the most expensive European holiday I have had (the last few years I have tended to go long haul during the summer) since I stayed at a Sofitel. I love being in Europe and people watching and chatting to different people from other countries. Most of the people there were young couples, although there were a few older ones, mainly from Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany and England and of course, Greece. The younger couples were of the variety who like to "pose" in the pool, which my husband and I, along with another couple we were friendly with, found very amusing. Thank goodness I am not of the "selfie" generation.

My recommendations to eat out (which we did quite a lot) are the Paradise restaurant right opposite the hotel where the fresh fish platter is fab, but the other local places were also quite nice; much better than eating in the hotel all the time, and the drinks were considerably cheaper. The Island restaurant, a short walk away towards Gouves centre, has a lovely setting right at the water's edge, and there is some form of live entertainment a couple of times a week. The fish there is also great and the staff are very friendly. Maria and Yannis' bar next door was also a favourite, and Andreas runs a nice little bar too. Not upmarket, not pretentious, just friendly, and Greek.

If you want to venture out (who doesn't?), you can get a bus to Heraklion or Herossinos at the top of the road, or you can hire a car for a very reasonable price. We went back to our favourite area of Elounda, but also visited Rethymon and Chania for the first time, along with many fishing villages and inland villages like the lovely Spili, famous for its fountain.

Would I recommend the hotel to someone else? Yes, probably, but not sure I would go again myself as life is too short and there are too many places to see.

Room tip: Front of hotel have views of the sea. Rooms facing the main pool as the chill out music/evening entertainment might be intrusive.
Date of stay: August 2020
7  Thank missnorth
The Island Hotel Crete, Άλλο at The Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2021

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion about your stay at our hotel.
Your feedback is valuable to us and is always taken into consideration in order to improve our services.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2020

Advertised as 5*, no better than 3*, most of the staff were bordering on rude. Hot breakfast food was always cold. Room was small. Clean enough. Facilities non existent. No Kettle, No Iron. Our room was a sea view but overlooked the pool. Music every night outside our window. Last resort was the refusal to give us more than a 2 hour extension to the check out time, we were there for 2 weeks and the hotel was only half full, our flight was 10 pm so we had to sit around in travelling clothes for 5 hours. Food outside in a few of the local Tavernas was far superior to the hotel and the people very friendly. If you want a 5* hotel don't expect here.

Date of stay: October 2020
3  Thank disgruntledNantwich

Dear guest,
We understand that every person's experience is subjective but our many great comments here and on other social media confirms our belief that we do our best to provide our guests with a great 5-star accommodation.
Always at your disposal

Reviewed 11 October 2020 via mobile

I had a really wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Everything is very modern furnished and clean. Had two wonderful relaxing massages at The Bathhouse, definitely recommend one of those. The beach and the sea were just amazing, clear water and you can go in really far. The evenings at the poolbar are very inviting, I've met some new friends and we had a really great time drinking and dancing to the music. One might even have the chance to find a little spark/magic moment ;) Definitely planning on coming back next year.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank angel_ika177
The Island Hotel Crete, Άλλο at The Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2020

Dear Angelika S,
Good morning from the Crete!
Thank you very much for your kind words! We really want to thank you for sharing your thoughts on our hotel, it is valuable and inspiring!
We are looking forward to welcoming you again here at our premises.
Kind regards