See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 September 2015

A great place with a comfortable room and bathroom including a huge bath. The staff is great, typical for "Noord Brabant", the food is of a high standard and with a lage group we had a hell of a birthday party and - dinner

Room tip: Ask for one on the back, quieter
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2015

We stayed here for one night to visit Baarle on our way to Amsterdam. The hotel is small and cozy with a beautiful dining room. Best way to stay here is to have dinner at the hotel. The building is old but the rooms were well-sized and reasonably priced. Staff was friendly and helpful for getting around and seeing things. The only weirdness was that they brought us to the room on a difficult spiral staircase, but then showed us that there is a normal staircase around the back of the building! I still don't understand that one.

Room tip: Windows facing the street are not well insulated and can therefore be noisy.
Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel for an overnight stop before catching the motorail from Den Bosch next morning. Parking the car was easy although there is no private parking. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room that had been reserved for us was in a building around the corner and was up two flights of the steepest and narrowest stairs that I have ever seen in a hotel. My wife just about managed the 1st flight but would not attempt the 2nd. Steep, narrow, twisting and very awkward. We rejected this room and were shown to a 2nd. This too was accessed from round the corner but did have stairs leading down into the bar area. These stairs were still steep but were wider and there was only one flight. The room was large with a large bathroom but didn't seem fully finished, there was no bathroom door for instance. We were tired after a channel crossing and the Antwerp ring road and were grateful of the beds.
We eat in the hotel restaurant and the food was good. On balance this is a restaurant with a few rooms rather than an hotel with a restaurant!
Breakfast was nice but for 12 euros each it should have been.
The town is interesting and the location of the hotel is convenient. Not a place we will be rushing back to but it served its purpose for one night.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeemerBikerAbroad
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is the second time I stayed in this hotel-brasserie. The first one with my husband and the second time with my mother. The staff is very, very nice. It is true that the room (I always saty in the room nr 3, a super-big room with living and huge bathroom) it maybe have some difficulties for not-so-young people because of the stairs but it looks the best.
The breakfast has everything (even a home-made pate, delicious), fresh bread and pastries...I am not fun of fruit so I did not miss it. The location is perfect. If you think about spending a day to visit Baarle Nassau/Hertog, unique in the world, I recomend you to stay in Den Engel.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank HELENA_AIRLINES
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We spent last Friday in Hotel Den Engel in Baarle-Nassau. Hospitality for the evening was great, drinks and dinner were fine, with good service.
The hotel room was located in a separate dependance around the corner. Unfortunately, the street noise kept us from a solid night sleep.
Hotel leaflet indicated breakfast from 8 am, but when we checked at 9:30, we found the hotel door locked, so had breakfast elsewhere. When checking out, the locked door was conformed, however no suggestions were made to find a solution and we had to pay the agreed rate for hotel including breakfast.

Date of stay: March 2013