“First anniversary holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“First anniversary holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

We had a very good week in this lovely hotel but it is not a 5 star and should not be judged as such. Yes it does appear a little tired in places but does not detract from the overall impression. Fantastic views and very good location and of course the best bit was no children which meant it was quiet and relaxing. There was generally no noisy daytime entertainment around the pool which was lovely. The food selection in the buffet was very good, although some of the plates were chipped, and we never had a problem with finding something delicious to eat. It does get very busy in the buffet restaurant and the staff work very hard to keep the tables clean etc but we always had a smile from them and they were generally curteous. Food in the a la carte restaurant was very nice and as all inclusive you get one free meal here, although the hotel very kindly gave us another one free for our anniversary as well as leaving a complimentary bottle of fizz in our room. We were very pleased to see that a large selection of branded drinks are part of the all inclusive option including Gordons, Baileys and various whiskies. A few very small issues as follows:- If you don't reserve a sunbed with your towels before 8am it is almost impossible to find one let alone a pair together during the day, I believe the hotel are addressing this and doing their best to ensure all their guests are happy, but we found ourselves getting up at 7am to reserve beds which we are not in the habit of doing! Also men have to wear long trousers in the buffet restaurant of an evening which in itself is not an issue but maybe there should be rules for women too as some of them were wearing extremely short skirts/dresses or shorts and if the rule is for decency then maybe that applies to them too? We did find it strange that you had to pay for the use of the fridge so we did not bother as being all inclusive we could get cold drinks whenever we wanted. Previous all inclusive hotels we have stayed in have provided soft drinks in the fridge so not sure why Timanfaya Palace do not do this or at least leave the fridge switched on for your drinks if they do not have the staff to keep them stocked? We did have an enjoyable holiday and for our first wedding anniversary it certainly was special and we would be happy to return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tansy B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,830)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed at the timanfaya palace from the 6th to the 16th September. The hotel is clean, spacious, nice pool and gardens. Rooms are very spacious and clean with good views over the pool or the sea depending on what view you have. Good range of activities such as pool, table tennis, tennis and giant chess. The ala carte restaurant is also very nice offering something different as the main restaurant gets very busy. Also the town of Playa Blanca is easily reached as there is a promenade than runs right in front of the hotel.

However there were a few minor drawbacks- air conditioning in the restaurant is not good, gets very hot in the evening. Also wifi is available in the reception only and not anywhere else in the hotel. Certain staff also have an issue with basic English- sometimes food and drink orders were mixed up as the staff were sometimes too busy talking to their colleagues rather than actually listening to what we wanted. Finally sunbeds go very quickly we had to be down by the pool around 7:10 each morning just to get the beds we wanted.

Would we return: yes

Room Tip: A higher room is better as you can see the pool area and the sea more easily. Also more private balc...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kuredu06
Sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Holliday duration august 28th to september 9th 2012....

I feel that disappointed with the H10 Timanfaya that I had to write this review. The hotel was certainly not what was expecting. It was sold to me as a four star plus, but in my opinion it fell far short. My wife and my self have stayed in five star hotels over the last few years but all the complaints I have with this establishment was nothing to do with the hotel rating/stars, but bad management, staff and two many niggles. I think it would be easier to break the down as followed....

HOTEL:-
1 Majority of the staff we came across were un-helpful or in some cases just rude.
2 The main windows of the hotel were filthy and never cleaned while we were ther over our two week stay.
3 Asked where the ironing room was as there was no facilities in the room "no problem with that" but told there was no such room, how ever they could supply one in my room for €40 while we
were their. So take your own!
4 Swimming pools were bad. Main pool was dirty and had servettes all at the bottom. And the small pool had all the paint is flaking off...how ever I did see maintenance man cleaning the pools most morning.
5 You should not have to pay for your fridge in your room in my opinion if you are not using it as a mini bar.
6 The day before we left we got our selfs organised and released we would not need our towels any more. so I took them down to reception to get the €40 deposit back. I was sternly told because I didn't have my little white ticket that they gave me two weeks prior on arrival that they couldn't give me my money back. How stupid !! I am handing them back !! So had to wait till you check out to get money back.
7 The disc room " main evening entreatment room" was tiyed and makes it not a place were you would like to spend your evenings. I think there should be more entreatment out side, rather than just once a week. Make the most of the weather !!

RESTAURENT:-
1 Again some of the staff are very rude, especially one of the managers.
2 So many of the plates are chipped. Most visits in the restaurant we had to ask members of staff for glasses for juice or other items as they were always running out.
3 If you are reading this review and still go and stay at this hotel just a quick note to you. On arrival in the restaurant for the first time. Find a table you would like and seat your selfs. A waiter will then be over to take your drink order. We watched so many new quest " including our selfs" waiting to be seated or explained how the restaurant operates but this does not happen.

REP:-
1 I don't mind on the welcome meeting being sold execrations as I choose to go on many myself . And we all need to make money! How ever you should also be told/explained how the hotel operates and is run. For example one day we swapped our evening meal to lunch in the hotel. We sate in the pool bar resturaunt for the first time to order our food, to then be what felt like thrown out and told we can only eat in the hotel restaurant. No problem with that if that's the rules but this should have been explained.
2 I asked to have a meeting with the hotel manager (to discuss all the problems) but my rep explained to me he was not in on that day. However she would organise a meeting on the following day. The next day I went down to the rep to take me through to the manager to the be told he was not in again!!

GOOD POINTS:-
1 Entertainment staff did a good job with the resources they had. Would also like to praise Ben who was always polite friendly and approachable. "all staff should use him as a roll model"
2 Cleaners were always friendly and did a good job
3 Resort it's self is lovely.

SUMMURY:-
I will never return to a H10 hotel after this experance. It will be the Atlantica hotel chains for me from now on. I would also like to ask you Jose Vazquez (manager) not to reply to this review as you will just say we can't resolve any problems when you are back at home!! How ever like I said I have tried to speek to you on three different occasions (days) and you were always unavalibe. This is after you telling quest to come and see you if any problams.The only time I say you in our two week stay was Friday and Sunday mornings for the welcome meetings. Most places I have stayed you see the managers going round speeking to their quest day to day, asking if they are having a pleasant vacation and all is well in their hotel.
To top the holiday off on the last day the younger deputy manager aprochesed us asking if all was ok? We explained one or two issues with him "as his english was not that good" and he did seem interested with my commented. He later came back to see us about 20 mins later to offer us a free coca cola and ice pop. Thank you very much.....

Sorry for any bad spelling as I suffer with dyslexia.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Threetimes
VazquezRomero, Director General at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear "Threetimes",

First of all, I´m very sorry that you were not happy with you holiday, I say that really, not to excuse myself. As I appreciate to enjoy my holiday, I wish all my guests to enjoy their holiday.

You don´t want me to reply this review. I´m sorry, but I have to reply o explain you and all reader your comments:

-Staff in the hotel un-helpful and very rude, specially in restaurant. I´m sorry for this point of view. I don´t know what happened to you to this like this... I really appreciate the work of my staff, and I find them very helpful and nice. Sorry for your point of view.

-All the front of the hotel to the pool and sea view is of glass. We cannot clean them by ourselves. Everymonth are coming climbers (surely you have seen many pictures of them from the guests). As we are so closed to the sea (humity and mist), Calima very often and seagulls... it is very difficult to keep them perfect for a long time...

-We have loundry service and we charge for it. Wash, Iron,... is not for free in a 4 star hotel in the Canaries. I´m sorry if you thought it.

-In H10 Hotels we charge for the frigde if you want to use it. If you order 10 drinks (anyones) you don´t have to pay for it, and you can use it for anything you wish, as your private drinks. I´m sorry, it is not a rule just of the hotel, it come from the head quarters. We can not do exceptions. If someone have medicaments, we have a fridge at the reception 24 hours available for the guest they want to use it for free.

-When you give the deposit for the towels you were said to bring the last day also the receipt of deposit. You mean it is stupid, but this is the best way to control that noone steals towels and try to get money giving them back to the reception. As you didn´t bring the receipt back, you had to wait some minutes, so long as we went to our account department to check it and you got money back.

-Evenning entertainment: you didn´t like the show bar. We have a very nice piano bar with a nice and big open air terrase with seaview. Every evenning we have live music in the piano bar.

-In the main restaurant you can sit wherever you wish and come whenever you wish. We find this is an advantage. In other places you have a fix sitting and fix place. We always have a higwaiter to find a table for you when the restaurant is very full.

-I´m in the hotel normally from monday to friday from 9:00 to 21:00h... My office is at the reception and, when I´m in it, ALWAYS they are opened. I always speak with pleasure with my guests: I get compliments and complains, and I thank both of them. If it is a complains I find a solutions, and if there are no solution, I also explain it (as the examples with the loundry, deposit or so on...).
I always receive, welcome and listen my guests. If I´m not in the hotel (by meeting outside, day off or other reason), there is always a manager on duty who can help you. Also they inform you when I'm at the hotel.

I'm sorry again that you were not happy with you holiday and you haven´t contact me me before to tell me your opinion and complain in your two week stay...

Sorry again, and I hope you really enjoy you next holiday.

Kind regards,

Jose Angel Vázquez
General manager.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

First stay in this adult-only hotel - half-board. Lots of people seem to go back again and again which must be a good sign.

On arrival at hotel, guests received a lovely glass of champagne. Staff could not do enough to make everyone's holiday a good one, especially the waiters in the Piano bar. The food was very good - buffet style with lots of choice every night and different menus each day. A la carte restaurant was great too for an extra special meal.

Fantastic pool area with two pools and private beach. Some activities during the day if you want to join in but no pressure. Nice resort - fairly quiet at this time of year. Hotel is close to some bars, restaurants and shops but about 45 min walk to Marina. Turn right at back of hotel and there is a great Italian restaurant and also good cocktail bar.

Bedroom overlooked the pool and sea. Had recently been refurbished and could not have been cleaner. It seemed that most rooms had a sea-view.

Would love to go back to this hotel another year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kaz122_1
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

When we first booked to stay at this hotel I was a bot dubious as I am 17 and my boyfriend is 25 and the area was said to be quiet with not a lot to do.

When arriving at the hotel the reception area is just breathtaking as its dead bright and airy we then checked in at reception the staff seemed helpful however moving further in to the holiday it would of been helpful if they provided more information as the next day at breakfast I took cash down to pay for drinks to be told by the bar that no where in the hotel accepts cash and that we have to put everything on our room card and pay at reception, this was slightly annoying that we didn't get to told but either way the staff were always approachable if you were in doubt.

The food in the hotel is 10 out of 10 for me the selection is brilliant and that they have different types of food nights on offer as the first night we had dinner it was tacos and wraps and then the second night was Chinese with noodles prawn crackers etc and all the food tasted delicious there was nothing that I had within the whole week that was not nice. The breakfasts are also really good with a massive variety you can have cereal, full english, pancakes, ommlettes, toasties and they have a lot of different cheeses. We only went half board with the hotel but we then decided we made the right choice as we swapped one day of dinner to lunch as we were going out in the evening and the lunch did not meet up to the same standards as breakfast and dinner.

I do not have one bad thing to say about any of the staff all of them were friendly and helpful and you would always get a hello and a smile which is more than welcoming. The cleaners ate superb everyday our rooms had new sheets New towels and freshly mopped floors. All of the hotel is in immaculate condition and no where is dirty. The dinner staff are more than helpful and they even crack a few jokes whcih is nice it gives it a homely feeling.

The wireless internet connection which is offered by the hotel is not worth the paper its written on. We brought an iPad with us and not once could we get on it to do anything and in the end we had to pay to use the computers that are on sight upon asking reception why the internet is always so poor they advised it was something to do with the time of day which we didn't understand as we had tried on numerous occasions at different times and it never made a difference.

The drinks are also fairly priced and are not too expensive however everything is double measures in the spirits and I do prefer just one shot in my drink however each to our own.

I also had a massage in the spa which was 30 euros for half an hour a bit steep however it was well worth it and chilled me out no end. The hotel also has a gym which my boyfriend went to twice and it wad apparently good but could do with colder air conditioning.

The evening entertainment of the hotel is also a good laugh we seen an acrobatics show which was really entertaining and it doesn't run too long in to the night, they also had a Michael Jackson tribute on so there is a lot going on.

The view in our room was meant to be a garden view however we had a view of a skip/lock up we stayed on the third floor this didn't really affect us as we aren't ones to sit on the balcony.

The pool is far too cold for me especially the big one but they do have a hydra pool that is warm and is very relaxing.

It was also very nice to feel the presence of the managers in the hotel at our welcome meeting with Thomson we got introduced to the manager and assistant manager and we then continued seeing them throughout the holiday and they also ate in the dinner hall which gives you more confidence in the food.

Overall I throughly enjoyed my stay at Timanfaya and would deffinitly recommend the hotel to friends and family. The hotel is situated just the right distance away from playa Blanca city its about a 15 minute walk a long the front and there are a lot of shops and restaurants.

So thank you H10 had a lovely stay :)

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room if you enjoy sitting on the balcony as there is not much of a garden to view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple