“Pleasant relaxing holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Pleasant relaxing holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Myself and my friend stayed in this hotel with our children of 8 and 7 years. I found the location and hotel very true to all information that was given, very enjoyable, kids loved the pools, food and overall no complaints a very enjoyable happy holiday by all, would defo stay there again and old reccomendt others.

2 Thank warrington01
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,750)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just got back from 10 days at Papagayo.
On arrival we were left to find our room in the middle of the night carrying all our luggage with scant instructions and a really bad map.. Not a great start - it would have been nice to have someone show us to the room, which you get in lots of 4 star. Or at least point out the luggage carts which we didn't see until the next day!
Anyway that is the only gripe!
The room was spacious, very clean. We just booked a standard double and had huge double bed and a double sofa bed for our daughter. All rooms in blocks A-D have sea views as far as we could tell. Lovely bathroom, all cleaned by maid every day to a good standard. ( you have to pay 3 euros per day for the safe) Good air con- controlled in the room and not too noisy.
Lovely hotel with 3 nice pools plus 2 childrens shallow ones, masses of sunbeds and no need to get there at silly o'clock to get one.We came back from morning trips on 2 occasions and got beds at 1pm no problem. Also beds not all crammed together- lots of room. Plenty of room in the pools too. Pools very cold due to resort being very windy and temps around 25, it's really easy to get sunburnt as it doesn't feel that hot! Need a cardi/ jumper when the wind gets up and take a fleece for the mountain trip!
Spa had 3 jacuzzi and turkish hamman and sauna and it was great that kids could use it until 3pm- my 9 year old daughter loved it!
Food was excellent- yes it's buffet style and a bit canteen-like, and no it's not intimate fine dining with candles, but for all inclusive families it was great with loads of choice. Chinese (which is included but you have to book) was also good. Didn't try al a carte (extra) so can't comment. Snack bar (next to pools) did burgers, chips, pizza, salads, ice cream from 11-6pm (and pancakes in the afternoon) Then it opened again at 11pm until the next morning if you wanted a midnight feast!
You could help yourself to wine, beer and soft drinks from stations in snack bar and dining area which was nice not to have to try to catch a waiters eye to get another glass of wine, or queue up at a bar during the day.
Hotel felt very safe for kids, pools and pool bar and snack bar all nicely contained in central area within the hotel so kids could have a bit of independance without getting lost.
Entertainment. The animation team were great - thanks to Danny and Iona especially! The pool games were fairly basic and it was quite low key - but the animation team were great - really friendly and worked so hard! The evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss and we've had better with Tui / Thompson. The kids stuff finished at 9pm, and then there was a gap until adults at 10pm.
Trips . Did volcano morning trip - amazing and quite educational for kids. Submarine trip was brilliant! Wild west night - masses of food, ok entertainment but wouldn't bother with it again.
All in all a really nice hotel and holiday.

5 Thank daisydh
Co Wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the 5th May this year. It was a lovely experience. Arrival was dealt with very quick and efficiently. All our requests were met. We stayed on a Royal Elite basis. For the extra cost we had a separate breakfast dining room with breakfast served till 11am. A Royal Elite lounge with high end drinks and snacks. Our room was no different than anyone elses except for very heavy bath robes which would be lovely in cold weather but a bit useless in very hot weather. Our sparkling wine was not in our room on arrival (part of elite package) I had to request it the next day. But a second bottle was left on our wedding anniversary Nice Touch. Food was very good something for everyone. The hotel was not full during our stay which I would say helped No Queing for anything. The Spa was lovely but the cost was no different to home. Two things in my view need to be addressed to make guests return. There should be at least one heated pool as they were all absolutely freezing and closing the all inclusive drinks at 11pm is unheard of in any of the other all inclusives we have stayed at even midnight would be better. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would consider returning although Sandos must ask itself why would we if other hotels offer no restriction All Inclusive at a cheaper price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank bluecafe59
SUBDIRECTORA, Manager at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear clients,

We thank you for having used the Royal Elite Service, and we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed it. Concerning the Spa, the jacuzzis, hammam and sauna are free.

We shall take all your suggestions into consideration, and we would be delighted to receive you at this establishment once more.

Best wishes,

Lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I have just returned from a week staying here with my 12 year old daughter. I had emailed ahead and requested a room in block c on the top floor which is exactly what we were given, so thank you to the hotel staff for this.

Usually I prefer small family run hotels or apartments so to stay in such a large Hotel was a new departure for me.

The reception staff were friendly and efficient, however the map given to find our room was somewhat confusing. it is a very large hotel and it took us a little while to find our way around.

The room was spotless as is the rest of the hotel and the view from our room of the beach and Fueteventura was lovely and we could hear the waves on the beach. The rooms were cleaned every day and I really cannot fault the staff, they even arranged my daughters cuddly toys on her pillow for her each day which was lovely.

The restaurant was busy but we could always find a table, the staff were very efficient at removing plates when finished and were again very friendly. There is a very large choice of food if you eat meat and fish but as a vegetarian I did struggle slightly apart from the pizzas and Pasta in the Italian restaurant which is adjacent to the main buffet restaurant. Special thanks must go to Danilio (sorry if I have not spelt his name correctly) for making me a lovely vegetarian pizza one night . There were plenty of salads and vegetables available, however I did have to be careful as many did include meat and fish and also if you are vegetarian be careful as the yoghurt I picked up one morning contained gelatine. I've been vegetarian for most of my life though and i'm used to having to be careful so this isn't really a problem, i'm used to limited choice. My daughter eats meat and had plenty of choice each night.

Breakfast for me was the best meal of the day with omelettes available and my daughter throughly enjoyed the pancakes most mornings. You could eat anything from a fry up to cereal, fresh fruit,cake etc I even saw sparkling wine available for a bucks fizz!

The all inclusive drinks included cocktails (yummy) and thanks to Bari for remembering our drinks order on only the second night :-) The frozen Mojitos available at the pool bar were also rather nice. I only tried the white wine which was OK but I only drank this with meals.

The pools were rather cold but warmed up by the late afternoon but this meant we tended to avoid the pools in the morning. There was never a shortage of sun beds, in fact i've never seen so many at one hotel and therefore no need to get up at 6.30 AM to grab one.

I can't comment on the entertainment as we did not use it apart from seeing a couple of singers in the Canarian bar but from comments I heard the magic show was very good.
Both my daughter and I are members of an Archery club and I had emailed in advance to check on the age limit which I was told was 12, Great I thought, however on the morning of the Archery I was then told the age limit was 18 so as my daughter was not allowed to shoot I didn't either which was a shame.

The Jacuzzis and the Hammam are also included in the price and were nice and again spotlessly clean and can be used by children up to 3 .00 pm

The Hotel is at the end of the strip and there is not really anywhere to go in the evening that is within walking distance unless you want to stroll to the Rubicon Marina which at a slow pace took us about 30 minutes. However being at the end of the strip means it is is very quiet with no main roads running outside like many other hotels I saw.

Overall, my daughter and I had a lovely time here, the staff were lovely and I would like to thank them all, I'm sorry I have only been able to mention two of them by name. I would definitely return to this hotel again and have given it a excellent rating as the tiny niggles we did have were so minor they are not really important.

Room Tip: Rooms in blocks A B and C have sea views, ask for a high floor for the best views.
10 Thank juliamartin01
SUBDIRECTORA, Manager at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Dear guest,

Many, many thanks for your lovely review. and for your detailed description of the hotel; thanks for the time you have devoted us.

We wish to remind you, and all our clients, that with our new Royal Elite service, you will enjoy your holiday even more (the details can be found in our website).

Best wishes,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I don't normally write reviews on hotels, but I feel compelled to on this one, as I want to ensure that all the hotel bits get covered. Just returned from a week at the sandos papagayo hotel.

Rooms - we booked a junior suite as we are a family of 4. Great choice! A nice bar area with table and mini bar. Living room area was converted into the kids room with a double sofa bed and a single sofa bed. Flat screen tv in their room as well. We had a separate area, with it's own door so we could close ourselves off if we wanted to. Big double bed, our own flat screen tv. Both rooms had balconies. Bathroom was huge! Massage bath, walk in shower, 2 sinks, toilet and even a bday (spelt wrong!). Room was great!

Food - good buffets for all 3 meals. As we had a junior suite, we got a separate room for breakfast which was lovely! Would recommend the Royal Elite service which came with the suite, but can be bought separately. Meat and fish for all lunch and dinner buffets, and good choice at breakfast. Only downside was the Chinese. It is included in the all inclusive, but just not worth visiting. Didn't try the French a la carte.

There is also a pool bar serving burgers, hot dogs, chips, cakes, pancakes (4-545pm) and drinks. Also open from 11pm till 8am!!!

Pools - only downside. There are 3 big pools and 2 kids pools, but they were all cold. I still went in, and so did the kids, but it wouldn't hurt to have one heated.

Surroundings - really nice walk to the marina promenade and the market on a Wednesday was lovely. The wife and kids bought lots of little bits, which were well priced!

Overall a lovely hotel and week break!

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank LolK
Much-esteemed customers,

We are very glad that your holiday was pleasant, and we thank you for the review and for recomming our new Royal Elite service.

We take good note of your remarks, and we are looking forward to receiving you again.