4,165 results
All reviewsdeluxe guestsdeluxe restaurantdeluxe roomdeluxe optionvolcano restaurantwellness centrepapagayo restaurantbooked deluxevip loungego deluxerear poolde luxesea viewhalf boardlovely hotelrubicon marinasunbathing area
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a week with Delux half board option. The room was clean with added extras like coffee machine (initial free drink), free use of slippers and dressing gown (option to buy). I have mixed feelings about the Delux option. I certainly wouldn't stay here without paying for this extra. This is because there are segregated areas BUT are beside each other! Grassed and roped off areas with signs of Delux, with clean loungers (others weren't), glassed blocked shower screens, you were offered fruit during the day at your lounger but original guests who are right beside you just off the roped area weren't. A member of staff comes to check your a Delux paying guest every day by ticking a list and marking your room number while your at your sunlounger! Would it not be better to have Delux at the front of the hotel and original at the back or vice versa? We've stayed at other hotels where you can obviously pay for added extras like this, but not as blatant or as in your face as this. Our stay was lovely don't get me wrong and the staff were so attentive and made you feel that they cared that you enjoyed your stay. More positives of the hotel is that it is so central to everything. Bars, cafes, shops, beach, marina. Food was lovely with plenty of options. Meat, fish, eggs were cooked fresh in front of you. There were queues at times for this, but you could request what you wanted and go back. No need to stand and wait. A special mention to Anna at reception, as our check in was so quick and professional. Also a mention to Israel who was so kind, polite, professional and had a genuine care for the guests. I'd also like to thank the staff for whoever left a letter and piece of birthday cake in our room for my husband's birthday. Nice touch! Thank you so much for our stay.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marie I
HHPlayaDorada, Guest service department at Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Dear Marie I,

Thank you for yoru candid review about your stay with us.

We are quite happy to hear that your overall experience has been satisfying. We will ensure to pass your comments regarding the deluxe areas to our management team so they take the proper measures shortterm.

Thank for the mention of our staff, specially Ana, who has been woth us for a long time and is always there with a great smile for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Respectfully,

Guest service department

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

We visited as a group of females. This hotel wouldn’t be your normal choice for groups, but we found the hotel staff amazing.

We were greeted by a very professional and friendly team. Hotel rooms included 2 double beds, stocked fridge, coffee facilities, robes and cleaned daily.

We had paid for deluxe upgrade. So not sure if some things only as part of upgrade.

Located 2 mins from a lovely beach, The hotel is and grounds are spotless, staff constantly cleaning. Separate seating areas outside for deluxe (which we didn’t use incase we were too noisy) and plenty of sunbeds and other seating areas.

Deluxe had separate breakfast and evening restaurant where choice of food was fantastic. Cava for breakfast.... lobster for dinner. Why complain. Again excellent staff and clean environment.

Branded drinks and good mixers at bar, cocktails, hot drinks. So much choice.

Entertainment was usual including live music night, bird show, flamenco dancers. Guests seem to enjoy it.

Spa on site, looked lovely but we didn’t use it. Heated indoor pool, sauna and steam room.

Entertainment team really good at communicating and talking to guests.

Lovely bars around 10 mins walk to right. Beautiful harbour area and shops around 15 mins to left. All walking distance.

Really for a group of 12 ladies, we have no complaints. Looked after, pleasant, friendly and accommodating to us. You shouldn’t underestimate the value of good customer service. So this, the facilities and food and drink, are the reasons I have given 5 review.

Thanks and for any guests staying when we did, thank you too ;-). I hope we amused you!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank GirlsGang
HHPlayaDorada, Guest Service Department at Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Dear GirlsGang,

we would like to thank you for the time you spent sending us your beloved review of our hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada ****.

We are really amused to hear your nice words about our hotel, service and staff.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back really soon.
Please if there is anything we can arrange for you for your next holiday just send us an email at gs.hhplayadorada@nh-hotels.com.

Kindest regards from Lanzarote,

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Questioners on Trip Adviser have asked about the difference between ‘Junior Suite with view’ and a ‘Deluxe room’ at The Hesperia Costa Dorada. My booking, with lastminute.com, just three days before we set-off for the sun, still showed a number of rooms available. The ‘best value’ indicated was the ‘Junior Suite with view’. In my, now obvious naivety, with there being very little difference in price, between this and the ‘Deluxe’ - neither of them could be considered cheap or last-minute bargains - I took the indicated advice and booked my wife and I the ‘Junior Suite with view’ and added the All Inclusive option. Logically, it appeared to me that the deluxe would have some superior/quality fittings but the suite was so much more spacious – so it did appear the best deal to be had.

On arrival at the resort and in the coming days, the differences became oh so clear. Really it was little to do with the rooms, apart from their superior locations, more about EVERYTHING else that one could ever begin to imagine!

We were offered a drink (Cava), when checking-in, which was very pleasant, but even then we noticed that the deluxe guests (THEM) had a quieter, more select, welcoming reception area. Then: THEY had their own lounge; THEY had extra, premium, drinks in their All Inclusive package; THEY even had their own restaurant – guessing from the many good food reviewers I can only assume these had been from, more aware, deluxe (room) option customers. We (US) never got a look-in at THEIR food offering so I can only review my findings, as I do below, with added photographic proof. Their own restaurant! That was nothing! THEY even had their own cordoned-off, un-crowded, sun-bed area, on artificial grass, while we (US) had close-together cheaper loungers on concrete areas, around the pool, and some on brought-in sand! THEY had different (black) coloured arm-bands – clearly to ensure that no favours were given to US (blue armband wearers) in error. THEY appear to have had continued complimentary Spa entry – US very limited entry with extras to pay to loan swim hats and non-slip footwear.

Frankly, as is probably clear, I am totally against this segregation of one-purpose holidays makers. I think that we should all be treated as valued guests – OR use two different hotels, for the two class-structures – OR, at least make it clear what ‘deluxe’ and (eh..well) ‘standard’ is all about.

I must say how I believe that guest services at this hotel will at this stage be building a response of how they present all the information perfectly clearly, that they are right in every way – and, that they truly believe it. However, I state my findings.

Now, leaving the segregation issue to one side, I booked a ‘Junior Suite with view’. This came with the option of double (king) bed or twin. Important to my wife and I, I requested the double-bed option. We were given a twin!! I was told by a second reception staff member (the first of whom checked and was up for making a room change, but needed to gain permission from her senior) that there were only three ‘Junior Suites with view’ that had double beds! They couldn’t make any changes to our allocated room, at that time(!) but, if we still wanted to, we could change half-way through the holiday – clearly a corporate individual convinced of herself being ‘right’ – after all, and it was made very clear to me - bed configuration can only be ‘requested’. Bearing in mind the good availability of rooms, when I booked just three days earlier, and a feeling around the hotel, I would guess the establishment to have been about 60-70% full – I was later told, by staff, that it could be up to about 80-85% - possibly an enthusiastic estimation.

As can be seen from my previous reviews, my wife and I are very experience travellers. Maybe it is the ‘norm’ in Lanzarote, it has been 9 years since our visit to that particular Canary Island, and indeed that very same hotel, but never before have we been asked to sign a disclaimer when checking-in – a disclaimer, as I remember (I was not given a copy) that accepts that no complaints about the hotel will be upheld if they are not raised while in the location first. Does this tell me something? So… to be clear, I am NOT complaining about anything – just telling it as it is – and, after all this, believe that the company knows best and have clearly trained their staff in this belief. (I am wondering if the signing of a disclaimer has influenced any of Trip Advisor reviewers?)

So.. our ‘Junior Suite with view’ had a ‘view’…. of the large car parking area, immediately below, and the front of the hotel entrance (please see the photos) and yes a strip of sea in the far distance, the other side of the hotel. Fortunately we were on the third floor so exhaust fumes and some (some) of the noise from the traffic was much reduced. The suite was promoted as having a mini-bar – this was totally non-existent. There was no mini-bar, but there was a large, completely empty, refrigerator – possibly where a mini-bar had been at some stage, perhaps many moons ago! The, also promoted, bathroom amenity pack was just a bar of soap – I didn’t expect premium shampoo and the like (perhaps I did!) I guess that was for THEM, in deluxe, but many 4**** hotels that we have stayed in include a tooth brush, or shaving kit, when promoting an amenity pack. Not complaining, just stating it as it was found. Room furniture was basic, please see photo, but sufficient, and the beds (twin!) were very comfortable. There were two large televisions on the wall – one more than we needed – with many, good reception, channels including Sky News but no BBC World. An extra-charge safe was in the wardrobe and plenty of storage and hangers. Bathroom, with tub and shower over – of good water force - and separate toilet with wc and bidet but no hand-wash facility. The (included) Wi-Fi was with a very good signal, meaning, to me, that the extra-charge upgrade was not necessary. The balcony was of good size, with table and two chairs, but not used much due to its disappointing location – already mentioned.

The All Inclusive food and drink options, I would describe as ‘just about acceptable’, but the food choice was greatly spoiled by the lack of presentation skills – more of a ‘slap-it-on’ style. Please see the photos - admittedly, I have presented, just about, the best of the ‘bad’ views, but there was plenty to choose from.

The hotel is in an enviable location with an attractive walk right outside at the back area, close to the sea. In one direction is the busy little town and in the other a few shops and a marina. Although the immediate frontage to the hotel offers no beach access, just a short walk along, towards the Princesa Yaiza 5***** hotel, reveals an amazing and very popular (holiday-makers and locals) south-facing, golden sand beach, with quickly-shelving waters.

The back gates for the Hesperia state that the entrance is private, for guests only, but they are permanently wide-open and without any visible security.

Entertainment was pretty basic stuff, a few singers and Bingo! Backwards Bingo was somewhat exhilarating (not really). Seating for the ‘entertainment’ was on old wicker-style sofas, with the addition of, from outside, plastic bucket chairs to boost the capacity.

Some members of staff were really corporate individuals, as already mentioned, but many others were REALLY friendly, nice, helpful and down-to-earth. Our room attendant always offered a cheery smile and greeting; Dining staff were proficient in finding available tables – there was always good availability – and in clearing the dishes; The drink order-takers at the main bar were very efficient; The absolute STAR was Diana on reception who was very pleasant in checking us out and then went out of her way to help us with a return flight problem – clearly this was not her problem, but she owned it and stayed with it until resolved. She, Diana, was a first class ambassador for the nh hotel group – we feel that they need more like her, and with her attitude, to see an improvement in ratings and any return of our custom, in our many, many, many, travels, again.

Note to Guest Services @ Hesperia: Please do not respond to this review. Your previous ‘responses’ clearly indicate how right you believe you are. You do not need to emphasise your beliefs / expected disagreement with my assessments. Please see my hundreds of other reviews, always with unbiased truth; good when good, bad when bad, and with honesty when needed – as with yours. Let the reader decide. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David B
HHPlayaDorada, Guest Service department at Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Dear David B,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us such a detailed and helpful review. Your opinion is crucial for us, which we do our utmost to improve with each and every stay.

We have seen your note; however, as you may understand we are committed to provide a response to every review. Negative or positive both are valuable for us. The positive ones tell us our strong points, which we are engaged to pursue with and our the negative ones reflect a non-delivered or unsatisfied service. These last, take an important part in our continuous improvement program, as they help knowing how we can provide our guests with a better experience. We do appreciate those customers, who in goodwill approach to any of our Guest service agent to provide a feedback which we rate as constructive or other clients, like yourself, who do not give the hotels the opportunity to remedy any wrongdoing throughout the stay but decide to leave a comment on TripAdvisor or other websites.

Going to the booking process, as you clearly mention, you have been given several options on the website to choose from. You have chosen for a Junior Suite with View, which, we truly regret, has not met your expectations. As experience travelers, perhaps you may know that bed configurations not only at our hotel, but most hotels around the world are subject to availability except from certain hotels that have specific rooms where the bed configuration is as default. In our particular case, we do not confirm or guarantee that any room has or will have one or two beds. We are happy to hear about our guests preferences and accommodate whenever possible. We strongly believe that if the information was not sufficiently clear where you have booked, which by the way was not the hotel website, you are always free to contact the hotel prior to closing your booking so you do not find any unpleasant surprises upon arrival.

As per the segregation, we have special package called Deluxe, which offers a few plus and extras out of the standard package. It has never been our intention to create such feeling. This kind of services is available at most hotel chains nowadays, which we confine to mention for professionals matters. Perhaps the example of the Airlines would help; Have you been in an airplane where there is First/Business class and Economy class? Most likely the answer is YES. Do you have the opportunity to buy a first class ticket? Most times YES. Do you get to have a priority check-in desk, more comfy seats and a larger drink and food menu and other extras? We all know the answer to this is YES. Are you all (business and economy) inside the same airplane? YES. Do you ever complain about it? NO.

On the other hand, we highly appreciate your mention to Diana, who is lovely young lady at our front desk always willing to go above and beyond for our guests. We will ensure to personally congratulate her for such an amazing job.

Please find that this response is not intended to disagree with your findings. In fact, shoudl you wish to pursue this review, we will be glad assist you in our email gs.hhplayadorada@nh-hotels.com where we shall ensure that any doubt is addressed.

Lovely greetings from Lanzarote,

Guest service department

Reviewed 8 May 2018

excellent hotel lovely location 3rd time back rooms spacious lovely food service excellent lovely walk to the marina and shopping precinct within easy reach to beautiful beach and bars and restaurants

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
2  Thank kevindebbie

Dear kevindebbie,

thank you very much for sending us your review with your impressions of the Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada ****.

We are glad and very happy to know that the hotel and the service has been of your liking.
We really can't wait to welcome you back!!!
Please if there is any detail that we can arrange for you send us an email at gs.hhplayadorada@nh-hotels.com.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

We have just returned from the most amazing short break to this hotel. The staff were so friendly helpful and polite and the amenities were excellent I can’t speak highly enough of this hotel. It’s well situated for strolls along the prom and evening visits to local bars but there is no need to leave the hotel if you just want a relaxing break. Hints - ask for crisp olives or peanuts at the bar we didn’t think they were available until the last day. The food is excellent and freshly cooked in front of you beach towels are free and cost 1 € to change mini bar and snacks in the room also free. Tvs in room can be changed into English it’s on the home screen - I will be booking this hotel again x

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank Princess031315
HHPlayaDorada, Guest Service Department at Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2018

Dear Princess031315,

thank you very much for choosing our hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada **** as the perfect place to spend your holiday in Playa Blanca.

We are excited to know that your holiday by us was a good experience full of good memories and we really can't wait to welcome you back to Lanzarote. If for your next stay there is anything we can do for you , please just contact us at gs.hhplayadorada@nh-hotels.com.

Kindest regards,