All reviews golf course woodland walk main building executive room lovely hotel swimming pool blunsdon house tennis courts leisure facilities restaurant manager an upgrade reception staff birthday party changing rooms wedding venue lovely grounds flame restaurant
Reviewed 14 October 2017

I was a long term customer, i had the opportunity to work in UK for a few months, and absolutely loved my stay at the BHH. The staff was great, they listened and responded to my complaints, and they mad me feel welcomed, and at home when i was away for so long.

Upon arrival in June, i was given a room out in the pavilion, a great room, beautiful view, very spacious and plenty of storage for a guy who over packed for a 130+day stay. The only problem, a work out, broken bed. Once i notified reception, the went out of their way to make it right, Merv and Lizzie swapped me out mattresses, where the discover the box spring was broke. i had a new room in 48 hours! With a busy summer due to the RIAT, i was moved into the main building. This was supposed to be a temporary move, but it was a nice room, and i was comfortable. So i asked if i could stay which they were nice enough to oblige.

The Reception staff was amazing. being a long term guest i was able to build a strong rapport and great friendship with them all. they were great for advice on where to eat and things to go and do.

Most of the time i would use the Bar and Restaurant. The awesome bar staff was super friendly and made me feel at home. I loved walking in after a long days work and being greeted by my first name, that is the way a bar should feel, like you're hanging out with friends and family. thats a way better feeling than being addressed as sir all the time...after leaving work and being professional all day who wants that stuffy atmosphere when you want to enjoy a pint and talk to your friends? well besides that phil guy who didn't like the staff being nice to him.

My only complain about the Bar was they didn't bring down the big screen enough to watch games. one quiet night we asked to watch a "soccer" game, and the staff was nice enough to turn it on, but it was a short lived experience because the Bar/Resteraunt manager came and said it wasn't a sports bar. but come to find out he didn't mind the games being on, except for when it was my friends and i requesting...This "manager" who i believe is in the hospitality business had the worst customer service skills i had ever witnessed. he was rude to his customers, and would never speak to them or ask them how things were going. All he would do is stand at the edge of the bar looking for things to complain about. He would audibly complain to his staff about business that they didn't need to be concerned about, a complain down not up type of management. he shunned and made his staff and regular customers feel very uncomfortable.

In my experiences, when someone is a regular customer, its the staffs job and management job to welcome them to their establishment, and make them feel comfortable. not this guy, after 4 months of staying and eating there nightly his first words to me weren't "hi, how are you, how is everything" it was, "you can't eat that there" referring to eating outside food in the hotel common area. Not a nice guy. the only reason why my friends and i even went to that hotel was because of the awesome bar staff.

I highly recommend the BHH if you want to feel welcomed. i will be staying there again!

Room Tip: The Pavilion has great rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank itzcoldak
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

As my family originated from Blunsdon I thought it would be nice to hold my mums 90th birthday party at Blunsdon House Hotel. We met Jane, Business Co-ordinator Conference & Events. Jane was very helpful and considerate and we booked the event, to include a buffet for 40 friends and family. We had a wonderful evening there in Tawny’s Room with the adjacent bar also available for use. The food was delicious and plentiful and we were very well looked after by Charles and Natalie, who were both very kind and attentive.
Thanks to everyone concerned for helping to make my mums evening so memorable.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Checked into the hotel to find our bathroom floor was flooded. Moved rooms with no apology. We tried to use the Spa on the Saturday morning to be told that there were public swimming lessons going on in the pool until 13:30. This was at 9:30. The changing rooms were full of children and parents and the bar above the pool was full of parents watching their children swim. This is not what we expected from a 4* Spa hotel. No apology at reception when we checked out. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ckd19842017
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The staff were all very helpful and always there when you needed them. The bedroom that we had was stunning. The food was fabulous and I would really recommend this hotel if you would like a couples weekend away as I stayed over with my girlfriend.

I was very impressed by the facilities which are clean and well kept. The staff go out of their way to assist the customers but they don't intrude and let you relax and get on with your weekend. Me and my girlfriend both loved the hotel!

Needless to say the room we had was very clean and well kept, the layout unlike most hotels made sense and made you feel relaxed. All the facilities we used worked perfectly and we had no issues.

We will definitely be staying here again! I'd strongly suggest staying here if you want to relax for a while and take your partner with you!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

In terms of appearances, don’t give the hotel’s website much attention, the hotel is stuck in a time warp from 1988 and doesn’t appear to have had anything done to it since. The whole hotel has the stale whiff of an old people’s home, not helped by the smell of chlorine wafting from the nearby spa that permeates everywhere you go. When you first walk through the door you’re almost choked by an overwhelming sickly perfume which I assume is an attempt to distract from the musty old carpet mixed with chlorine odour.

Communal areas of the bar and restaurant are large airport lounge sized areas which are soulless and unpleasant to sit in for any longer than necessary. Staff walk around calling out to each other, shifting chairs and tables around you in total disregard for the impact to the handful of customers braving the clash of two loud music streams playing, one from the bar and one from the adjacent gym, complete with loud squawking fitness instructor.

The restaurant doesn’t fare any better and took 45 minutes to bring a uninteresting and overpriced burger. Other food in the restaurant and bar is bland, unimaginative and prepared by a kitchen team who going by appearances have long lost interest in the product they serve. Breakfast is a similarly minimal effort, with a poor selection of mostly tinned fruit, or the usual average quality, unappetising fried foods. You’ll want to eat somewhere else after one night.

Staff are remarkably cheerful given the depressing 1980’s surroundings, and that’s to their credit. They seem busy doing something even when there seems to be very low numbers of guests in the cavernous communal areas. The cheerfulness does break good manners at times and they would benefit from improved training to remind them that guests aren’t their “mates”.

My room is large, dated like the rest of the hotel, has peeling wallpaper, torn bedding and a stained carpet. It too has the omnipresent stale whiff that comes from old furnishings. The water coming from the bathroom’s hand basin taps is a bare trickle and the taps themselves are too short, so you’re not able to get your hands under them. I have to let it run for 10-20 minutes before it eventually runs cold and becomes drinkable. The shower works well and the bathroom is generally clean. The walls are paper thin so keep your voice down as your neighbour can hear every word of your phone calls. The radiators don’t seem to be adjustable so there’s no way of adjusting the heat in the room. If you wanted to keep your window open, you’ll be treated to the constant loud hum of traffic.

WiFi whilst free is very slow and mobile signal is terrible, on EE at least.

I’ve stayed in Best Western hotels all over the world and this is by far the worst. There’s nothing premier about it. The AA 4 star rating gives you a false impression of quality and you’ll be let down if you used that as a guide. I’m here for work, there is no way I’d stay here for any other reason. I'm looking forward to checking out, it’s depressing being here.

If I can avoid coming back I will. Come here if you have to. Avoid if you don’t.

Message to the hotel: Close down. Refurbish. Refresh. Retrain.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business