All reviews golf course woodland walk main building executive room lovely hotel swimming pool blunsdon house tennis courts leisure facilities four poster bed reception staff an upgrade changing rooms birthday party wedding venue flame restaurant swindon area
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

As my family originated from Blunsdon I thought it would be nice to hold my mums 90th birthday party at Blunsdon House Hotel. We met Jane, Business Co-ordinator Conference & Events. Jane was very helpful and considerate and we booked the event, to include a buffet for 40 friends and family. We had a wonderful evening there in Tawny’s Room with the adjacent bar also available for use. The food was delicious and plentiful and we were very well looked after by Charles and Natalie, who were both very kind and attentive.
Thanks to everyone concerned for helping to make my mums evening so memorable.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Checked into the hotel to find our bathroom floor was flooded. Moved rooms with no apology. We tried to use the Spa on the Saturday morning to be told that there were public swimming lessons going on in the pool until 13:30. This was at 9:30. The changing rooms were full of children and parents and the bar above the pool was full of parents watching their children swim. This is not what we expected from a 4* Spa hotel. No apology at reception when we checked out. Will not stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ckd19842017
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The staff were all very helpful and always there when you needed them. The bedroom that we had was stunning. The food was fabulous and I would really recommend this hotel if you would like a couples weekend away as I stayed over with my girlfriend.

I was very impressed by the facilities which are clean and well kept. The staff go out of their way to assist the customers but they don't intrude and let you relax and get on with your weekend. Me and my girlfriend both loved the hotel!

Needless to say the room we had was very clean and well kept, the layout unlike most hotels made sense and made you feel relaxed. All the facilities we used worked perfectly and we had no issues.

We will definitely be staying here again! I'd strongly suggest staying here if you want to relax for a while and take your partner with you!

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

In terms of appearances, don’t give the hotel’s website much attention, the hotel is stuck in a time warp from 1988 and doesn’t appear to have had anything done to it since. The whole hotel has the stale whiff of an old people’s home, not helped by the smell of chlorine wafting from the nearby spa that permeates everywhere you go. When you first walk through the door you’re almost choked by an overwhelming sickly perfume which I assume is an attempt to distract from the musty old carpet mixed with chlorine odour.

Communal areas of the bar and restaurant are large airport lounge sized areas which are soulless and unpleasant to sit in for any longer than necessary. Staff walk around calling out to each other, shifting chairs and tables around you in total disregard for the impact to the handful of customers braving the clash of two loud music streams playing, one from the bar and one from the adjacent gym, complete with loud squawking fitness instructor.

The restaurant doesn’t fare any better and took 45 minutes to bring a uninteresting and overpriced burger. Other food in the restaurant and bar is bland, unimaginative and prepared by a kitchen team who going by appearances have long lost interest in the product they serve. Breakfast is a similarly minimal effort, with a poor selection of mostly tinned fruit, or the usual average quality, unappetising fried foods. You’ll want to eat somewhere else after one night.

Staff are remarkably cheerful given the depressing 1980’s surroundings, and that’s to their credit. They seem busy doing something even when there seems to be very low numbers of guests in the cavernous communal areas. The cheerfulness does break good manners at times and they would benefit from improved training to remind them that guests aren’t their “mates”.

My room is large, dated like the rest of the hotel, has peeling wallpaper, torn bedding and a stained carpet. It too has the omnipresent stale whiff that comes from old furnishings. The water coming from the bathroom’s hand basin taps is a bare trickle and the taps themselves are too short, so you’re not able to get your hands under them. I have to let it run for 10-20 minutes before it eventually runs cold and becomes drinkable. The shower works well and the bathroom is generally clean. The walls are paper thin so keep your voice down as your neighbour can hear every word of your phone calls. The radiators don’t seem to be adjustable so there’s no way of adjusting the heat in the room. If you wanted to keep your window open, you’ll be treated to the constant loud hum of traffic.

WiFi whilst free is very slow and mobile signal is terrible, on EE at least.

I’ve stayed in Best Western hotels all over the world and this is by far the worst. There’s nothing premier about it. The AA 4 star rating gives you a false impression of quality and you’ll be let down if you used that as a guide. I’m here for work, there is no way I’d stay here for any other reason. I'm looking forward to checking out, it’s depressing being here.

If I can avoid coming back I will. Come here if you have to. Avoid if you don’t.

Message to the hotel: Close down. Refurbish. Refresh. Retrain.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Since my last disappointing visit for an adult party dinner in 2016 something has happened: providing much better, attentive and hospitable service but also the two restaurants' quality and service were excellent, especially providing for a family group of 16 (adults and little ones). Alas we were only able to experience one session of 'dinner, bed & breakfast' (and Sunday lunch in the Tawny is worth booking too) but Room 365 was more than sufficient compensation!

Room tip: Grab an executive room in The Pavilion and Room 365 if you want to go mad!
Date of stay: September 2017