All reviewsthe main housecellar bardevon countrysidetennis courtsleisure facilitiesdevon view restaurantmanor houseround of golfthe main hotel buildingexcellent golfhole golf courseplay golfswimming poolsuperb viewsloft suiterolling hillsrelaxing break
Reviewed 18 October 2017

I suppose I had not got my head into gear re the Devon lanes as not having been that way for 3/4 years and I am not a fan of Sat Navs !! A good old map still gets me there.
However, that is the first warning, this place is well tucked away up some really narrow back lanes but quite impressive on arrival and set in lovely grounds as well as the golf course so plenty of walking area's.
Very pleasant lounges, main restaurant and bistro. Very good breakfast selection and quality. For evening meals we hit on, once again, the issues with fine dining and what I call "messed with" or "funny" food. Some of these chefs do go over the top with their experiments that we are completely turned off by going to bed hungry. !!
In this case, yes, we were prepared for the worst but the meals turned out to be reasonably acceptable and tasty in both eateries.
The usual problem came for my wife who is not a meat eater but takes fish and vegetarian and once again, she was faced with a very limited choice. We had a three night stay and the menu was the same on the first two, which meant I had to go for the same as the previous night due to its limitations. So, that was when we changed to the bistro for our last night which at least allowed us to have a change of menu, ie, steak's, burgers, fish and chips ect. We must sound like 'heathen' fast food eaters but far from it as I believe, like most people we talk with in hotels, we like a sensibly cooked amount and quality at realistic prices with a varied selection plus not having to lay out for vegies and potatoes to make a meal.
Our room was excellent on the first floor of the house. Roomy, clean and comfortable with a good bathroom
A Warning. I have to own up to not asking if the hotel had a lift so beware, it does not as it is a listed building. As a result my wife, who is not that good with stairs, had to navigate two flights up and down due to the eateries being in the basement.
There are 3/4 ways to reach this hotel and now that I have found the shortest may well consider a future stay coupled with some eating at the village pub 2/300 yds along the road.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
WMoore001, General Manager at Highbullen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you were happy with the service and facilities we provided. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Highbullen on a future occasion. Kind regards, Andrew

Reviewed 18 October 2017

A group of five of us came to High Bullen for one night and a round of golf. We were all impressed by the warm and friendly welcome from all the staff we came into contact with from the receptionists, to the catering staff and including groundsmen on the golf course. We are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, and your wonderful comments. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Highbullen on a future occasion. Kind regards, Andrew

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

This is the 3rd visit now in the last 18 months after a summer visit in 2016 and a New Year stay late 2016. We stayed in one of the sportsmans lodges which are in the grounds, rather than the Manor House. The lodge is great, very spacious room and a lovely view of the countryside.

The spa and pool facilities are still top notch and we booked a massage this time with Dee Brand, this was well worth it.

The food in the Cellars restaurant was ok but they should note that the soup portion for lunch was minimal, barely a few centimetres and the burger in the evening was very undercooked, although tasty.

The Devon View menu and food was excellent and highly recommended. The service was great as well.

Breakfast, as always, was tasty.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments regarding the soup portion and beef burger, and I will be reviewing it with my Head Chef. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Highbullen on a future occasion. Kind regards, Andrew

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We had a fabulous stay. Beautiful surroundings, lovely room, delicious food and brilliant staff!

The only suggestion i would make is to make the fine dining vegetarian option a bit more interesting. When we visited it was something like ravioli or risotto - not very exciting! We opted for the cellars restaurant instead as more choice however the veggie options there were also the usual suspects- mainly pizza and pasta.

The food we ordered was really delicious though and we hope to stay again next time we are in Devon!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break with us. I have noted your comments regarding vegetarian options. I am delighted that you were able to experience both the Devon View and Cellars restaurants. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Highbullen on a future occasion. Kind regards, Andrew

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night following a visit to nearby RHS Rosemoor . Despite being down some very narrow country lanes, not dissimilar to those in our own locality, the hotel was easy to find, even using the old fashioned map method - hate sat-nav! We were impressed with the main building but a little disconcerted to find we were in a separate building a few minutes' drive away. However, our room was large, light and very well equipped with a very comfy bed and excellent bathroom. Above all, it was quiet, which we had requested - big tick for that! The Cellar bar was very pleasant for a pre- dinner drink & I had a job deciding which gin to try! We ate in the Devon View restaurant from the fine dining menu and the meal was good without being exceptional, apart from the iced cream cheese blueberry parfait which was outstanding, my only complaint being there wasn't enough of it! The staff were friendly & attentive. There was plenty to choose from on the breakfast menu next morning and we really enjoyed our choices. Sadly, we didn't have chance to try the pool or spa facilities so we'll have to do that next time, as I'm sure there will be a next time.....

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen C

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you were happy with all of the facilities and service that you received. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion. Kind regards, Andrew