“Tasteless staff and tasteless food”
Review of Jade Palace

Jade Palace
Ranked #12 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

I couldn't believe that the food was so bad. It was tasteless and the staff was not interested in entertaining us. They were more concerned about going home n closing the restaurant

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

I am a Kiwi Chinese who had the unfortunate experience at this place with 8 of my Asian friends from overseas

What a disgusting experience! In fact even if the owners read these bad reviews, they wouldn't give a damn anyway! I am writing this review so that others wouldn't be ripped off!

Just like they don't care about anything except to make some fast buck & well aware that any customers are transient.

SERVICE: non existent
FOOD: quantity small for the price, nothing authentic, taste - what taste!

And they want to charge $1 for a portion (probably satchet size) chilli sauce!

These people shouldn't be in this business as they obviously dont' have any passion. Gives Tekapo a bad name & experience.

2  Thank Samm13alls
Reviewed 21 October 2016

Worst food we have experienced during our 3 weeks in New Zealand
It is a real shame a beautiful day at Lake Tekapo is totally spoilt by dining at Jade Palace
The place obviously exists because of the many tourist passing through Lake Tekapo going there expecting reasonable food and who not checked out previous reviews from other tourists who have sadly have similar bad experiences
Just do not go

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

We are a group of 4 couples who get together once a year to catch up. This year was Tekapo. After a few too many beers on Friday night we decided Chinese would be the perfect cure for dinner on Saturday. We were wrong. We read the reviews and didn't have high expectations but there aren't a lot of take away options in this beautiful town and nobody was feeling up to going to a restaurant so we took a chance.

The service the bad. The waiter didn't say hello or greet us in any aspect expect for pointing us to the bar to order while he cleared plates. The waiter at the bar also thought a greeting was unnecessary and stood here staring at us. I greeted him with a friendly hello and politely asked to see a takeaway a menu. Their customer service skills are zero and I'm not sure they understand much English. My cousin asked the waiter "what meat comes with the hokkien noodles?" To which he replied "spicy". It was such a drama to order anything from this man. After we ordered he told us it was a 15min wait so we happily moved off to the side to wait. This is when we noticed the general uncleanliness of the place. The chairs are disgusting and looked like they haven't had a steam clean since the 80s and the walls were grimey and black. We told ourselves the kitchen would be clean and left it at that.

Once our food was ready, another waiter who spoke better English read out our orders and we were off. There was no thank you or goodbye offered until we said it to them, we were just handed our bags and hustled out the door.

Once home, the food was bland. There was nothing that popped out and made the experience worth it. It was just plain. Often you will find the places with the worst customer service skills have the best food but unfortunately not this place. I don't think anyone finished their meal except for the chicken cashew which was apparently pretty good so that's something.

Would definitely recommend bypassing this place and getting pizza from the Tin Plate next door. That was amazing!!

1  Thank Ashlea F
Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

I had to walk over to the bar & ask to be seated despite there being 2 staff just standing by the bar watching me. I was never greeted or asked if I would like something to drink.
Eating by myself it didn't take long to make a decision but couldn't get served, the staff were standing around ignoring the customers. There were only 2 or 3 other small groups so no excuse for their lack of service.
Once I finally had my order taken the food came out quickly & was adequate but nothing memorable.

Wouldn't come back to this restaurant again because of the staff. Also it was expensive for the quality & quantity received.