“Bit cold on the day”
Review of Tahr Bar and Cafe

Tahr Bar and Cafe
Ranked #11 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Reviewed 29 December 2016

I decided to eat here whilst at the pools.
Wide open space with two couches by a fire - which was not burning on the day - operates during winter only, despite it being a cold day still in October. Wide windows taking the view. Dining inside and outside - heavy wood furniture - close proximity.
I was intrigued by the name of the bar - Tahr - which is Monarch of the Mountains, yet a lot of the memorabilia on the walls - is Canadian origin. There are a few items of NZ around the place.
Menu items - a small selection. Food cabinets were a bit bare on the day. But I settled for a chicken burger and chips. Chips were crispy and soft on the inside. Chicken burger was juicy and had all the right accompaniments. No complaints. The prices are better than in town.
I had three drinks on the day.
Wait staff were under training on the day.
Selection of newspapers and reading material. Wifi is available.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

While we enjoyed our day at Tekapo Springs, we can hardly say the same for our experience at the cafe. We were initially put off by the fact that the cafe staff would not make eye contact or smile. When we queued up at the counter to place orders, the lady who came up looked very unhappy, as if I was calling her away from something much more important that she had rather do. We gave orders for drinks and a snack platter, and we had to repeat which dish we wanted thrice because the lady was not familiar with the item printed on their menu! We got the drinks immediately, and we tried to slow ourselves down so we could have the drink with the snacks... after 15 minutes, our drinks were finished and there was no sign of the snacks. We were fine with that, because we could see there was one other table where a family had placed orders for 5 people, and only two were filled, so the rest of the group were waiting for their food and we understood that the cafe probably wanted to get one table's order complete before starting on the next table. I went to the cafe counter again to place an order for a second drink, and the lady unhappily took the order again, then suddenly went inside leaving me wondering what had happened, and eventually came back and continued processing the payment as if there had been no interruption at all... I presumed that she had gone inside to check if they had stock of the drink I was ordering, but it would have been nicer if she had just told me that instead of disappearing while I was talking to her. I had to stay at the counter while she mixed the drink, so, to make small talk, I asked if our earlier order would take much longer...and she gave me a stare, looked into the kitchen over her shoulder, and snapped "Already started".
I am normally not someone who gets irritated with a short wait, however I do think that, being the single restaurant catering to everyone who turns up at tekapo Springs, they should put a few more staff there, hopefully staff with some experience in customer service.
I must say the food, when it arrived, was quite good and we wanted to have more of it...but decided against spending another hour going through that horrible experience.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

Really enjoyed my day at Tekapo Springs and it was a pleasure to find nice food, good coffee and friendly staff.

Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

Came to the hot springs for a few hours with my sister, which were lovely! Would visit them again. Decided to stop and grab a bite to eat in their restaurant before leaving. As a vegetarian, there were limited options (on an already small menu) but there was a veggie burger so we ordered one to share (omitting cheese and eggs from the burger because I do not eat them). When the VEGGIE burger was ready, it had a huge slab of bacon on it. My sister took it back to the counter and was treated rudely by the staff. She said "well, I will just go have them take it off. You only said no cheese and no egg." I mean, if it is a veggie burger why on earth would I want bacon on it? Absolutely NO apologies for the inconvenience and my sister ended up eating it because she is not vegetarian and having bacon far on the burger would have made me ill. Would not recommend eating here if you are expecting friendly and helpful service.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

we just finished from the hot pools then headed to the bar, order beef nachos, curling platter and 2 kids meals. we the order done, we picked them up and started to dine when suddenly the waitress approach us and said another kid meal was ours too, we said we only ordered two, she said she made three and no apology at all. we were pretty exhausted after all the trekkings in mt cook beforehand so we asked to have it wrapped for takeaway, she said okay then few minutes later she came back and again no apology. was it purposely done as she thought we just ordinary tourists?