“Stone cooking is a tasty way to cook meat to your liking”

Mackenzies Cafe Bar Grill
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2018

Boy did this work out well. I had the venison, lamb, beef combo and I could cook each kind of meat the way I like it, bite by bite. You get a 300 degree hot rectangular stone, set in a tray, with you meat on it. I seared all sides of each cut and set it aside. With each slice from those cuts I sear/cook it further to my liking. Wonderfully good natured staff. Many thanks for a wonderful meal.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

I had two evening meals here, really enjoyed both of these. The food was great - large portions so didn’t need a starter as well. The salmon main and steak yum! Good wine too. I found both my servers really friendly and helpful with questions. Would definitely recommend

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Ate here twice during our stay. Food was good and staff were friendly and attentive. Prices were reasonable.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

We nearly didn't visit this restaurant due to some rather poor reviews on the website. I'm glad we ignored them!

Service was excellent, food was good. The waitress (from Canada) made a minor error on our order, but immediately rectified it with a smile. My husband ate the monkfish and I had the slow cooked pork belly. Both were delicious.

As we were leaving I asked rather nervously if I could have a disposable cup full of ice as I had a very bruised foot and wanted to put ice on it. This was provided with a smile and all good wishes.

Certainly can't fault the service. I recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

We drove from Queenstown, found the place was crowded when we arrived at 8.30pm and was told to wait for another 1/2 hr which we luckily did although we were starving. The food was exceptionally good. The steaks we ordered were cooked to perfection (medium rare) and the salmond was served with a delicious gravy with coconut milk. Will definitely visit again when we are at Lake Tekapo!