Nethybridge Hotel
The Mountview Hotel(Nethy Bridge)
TripAdvisor
Balciuin B&B(Nethy Bridge)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrefurbished roomgarden viewgroupon dealtraditional scottish hotelbuffet breakfastold fashionedpublic roomsthree course mealdinner menueach eveninga wee bitlounge areadb bshort breakwaiting staffhaggiswarm welcome
Reviewed 4 April 2017

From the outside the hotel looks old fashioned but nice but inside it was like stepping back in time. As others have said we were warmly greeted by the reception staff ,our room was along a long corridor with squeaky floorboards and ancient woodchip on the walls. Our room was one flight up and was accessed by stairs or by an extremely small lift which was big enough for one person and their suitcase. The room itself was small and it had been recently upgraded but it still looked dated. The bathroom was nice, clean but small. On the plus side was lovely soft pillows they were lush on the downside was the state of the bedroom windows one window was completely painted shut and the other would only open a few inches (allegedly for heath safety reasons) the outside of the windows were seriously rotten with the retaining putty falling out an accident and a big claim waiting to happen. The lounge was connected to the public bar and service was slow as the bartenders dodged between serving the locals and residents. One big disappointment was the total lack of any decent Scottish beer on draught the choice was French, Australian, English beers and the appalling McEwens Export . There was some local bottled craft beers on sale but black marks to the barstaff none in the chiller during our visit. The dinner menu was a table d'hote throw back to the 70's.We decided to pay extra for sirloin steaks which were cooked to perfection one complaint I had was the size of the dinner plates which were very small which meant there was not too much room to cut your food. Breakfast was nice sausages were of cheap quality full of filler and disappointingly for a Scottish hotel no haggis or lorne sausage or tattie scone or breakfast. Overall I think the hotel is trying hard to revive its past glory days but please FIX your windows

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
lparker84, Manager at Nethybridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, The Nethybridge Hotel is over 120 years old and this is part of its charm, we have just finished fully refurbishing fifteen bedrooms and bathrooms at the end of last year and an ongoing programme is being rolled out through out the hotel group. We have to have a restriction on the windows for health and safety regulations to ensure that they can not be opened above a certain height incase of injury.

Im happy that you enjoyed your steaks and that they were cooked to your liking, I will pass this onto our kitchen department.

Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

We purchased a two night stay at this hotel through Groupon. Here's an honest review in our opinion.

Positives: hotel looked nice from the outside; bedroom was ok in size; hotel had character; some staff were very pleasant and helpful; breakfasts were excellent in choice and quality.

Negatives: our ensuite shower was tiny and so small we couldn't bend down in it; our double bed was small and sagging in the middle, resulting in sore backs for both of us; we'd paid extra for a superior room but didn't feel it was superior in any sense; dinner was rushed and both starters and desserts were previously refrigerated and not cooked to order; dinner service staff were pretty curt and not all could speak good English; bar service was slow and both meals and bar service were very limited in availability. For example, dinner is only served over a two and a half hour period. The kitchen shuts promptly at 8:30 and when we asked for something to eat at 8:45, we were told nothing was available. This had also happened to us previously in the same day when we asked for lunch in the afternoon and were told the kitchen was shut and didn't open until 6 pm.
Decor is extremely dated, as is the menu selection. We felt like we'd travelled back to the 1980s. There was no music served during dinner and no atmosphere at all. Most of the evening service staff appeared to be in a bad mood. Our meal choices were slapped down on the table curtly within a minute of us ordering them and our plates whipped away as soon as we'd eaten the last morsel. Our three course meal including bottle of wine was done and dusted within an hour! The average age of clientele was about 70.
Fires were lit during the day but not in the evening when they were needed. All in all, we won't be rushing back!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
lparker84, Manager at Nethybridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Thank you for your review of your stay, I am sorry to hear that you did not feel that the room you occupied was superior this was fully refurbished last year and we have been receiving good comments. It is extremely hard for me to sort out any problems that you have had as these were not mentioned during your stay, only if we are informed by our guests during their stay are we able to try and rectify any problems, as we want our guests to leave with fond memories of Nethybridge.

We do have music on at all times however during dinner it can be very faint if the restaurant has a lot of guests in, our fires are on all day and into the evening however we do start allowing them to die down around 10 pm to enable us to clean them for the next day.

I will follow up with the restaurant staff with regards to service and also that you felt that they were not the usual happy team that we receive a lot of positive comments about, my Food and Beverage Manager will also speak to the team and work with them to slow service down.

I do hope that you will perhaps come and stay with us again in the future and let us show that we have made improvements.

Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights on a groupon deal. The hotel itself is very beautiful to look at. We left very happy with our choice and we would certainly return.
There is a main road right in front of the hotel which the photos don't show- 30 speed limit tho, we were just not expecting it.
We brought our dog, which they were very welcoming of. I wouldn't say the hotel itself was 'dog friendly' there were a few reasons I say this, the main doors were swing doors, you can get out of the normal door but you can't get back in, unless their is a receptionist that isn't busy and is happy to help....There were no bins to put in poo bags. We were placed In a upstairs room, which was fine, but was a small trek to take the dog for the toilet.
The hotel room itself was exactly what we needed, couldn't complain at all. Would have just of been better if it was the bottom floor, tea and coffee facilities were also provided.

The deal allowed us to get a meal in the restaurant or the bar, as we had the dog we opted for the bar. The food was lovely. The staff were very welcoming and even offered water for the dog.
I would say with a little tidy up as it was quite basic, a lick of paint, and maybe the restaurant and bar area given a little spruce, but in keeping with the old school theme this hotel could be an absolute winner!!!

The location is great for keen walkers and explorers....I used to live up at Glenmore so I know the area well. So I know what I was getting into....
We would however as I said at the beginning definitely return on a groupon deal. However we would just request a bottom bedroom....

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Many Thanks for your kind comments about your stay with us, I will be looking into sourcing a dog waste bin will hopefully have this in place soon.

Please when you come back and stay with us again let us know and we can allocate a ground floor room to make it more comfortable for you.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme within the hotel and Strathmore hotels are investing a lot of money within the group, we have had 15 bedrooms and bathrooms fully completed at the end of last year and with more to come in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

We arrived at the hotel to be warmly greeted by Aleksander who created a very good first impression of the hotel .
Our room at the front of the hotel had been refurbished & was lovely . It was roomy but warm with a very comfortable bed . I usually have to fight with my pillow in hotels but these were lovely & I had a good night's sleep .
Service in the restaurant was good but as another reviewer mentioned perhaps a little too quick for a 3 course meal . My vegetarian main dish was fine but I wish the same could be said for my husband's fish which was cold & underdone. However on the plus side when this was pointed out to the staff they dealt with the situation well & went the extra mile to be helpful. A special mention also to Bruce behind the bar.
The Wi-Fi was fine in the public areas so we didn't pay extra to get it in our rooms as the 4G signal was strong,

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
lparker84, Manager at Nethybridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2017

Thank you for your kind review and I am in agreement the staff are a credit to myself and the hotel and I am extremely proud of them.

We want all our guests to have a comfortable sleep and im happy to hear that you did.

I do apologise with regards to your husbands meal and im happy that the team managed to resolve this for you, I will speak with the kitchen and pass on these comments.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and went out of their way to make us welcome. We were first to arrive out of 3 couples and spent time in the bar having a chat with the very friendly and helpful barman while we waited for our friends to arrive. The weather was terrible when we arrived in the middle of the afternoon and there is nowhere to go in Nethybridge and the 6 of us ended up in one of our bedrooms watching tv and chatting. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We dined in the restaurant on our first night and the food was nice.
Nothing wrong with the hotel but we would rather have stayed in Aviemore.

Room Tip: if you cant walk far as for a room near to reception - some are a long wayaway
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sparkyju
lparker84, Manager at Nethybridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, Nethybridge is based in a very quiet village and is ideal for walking if the weather is good, a lot of our guests come to stay as they enjoy being in a small village and just relaxing.

Im glad that you enjoyed the food and that you liked your rooms.