“Average hotel - Great gym / pool facility”

Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Average hotel - Great gym / pool facility”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed for a week during a cold wet April on business.

The gym is brilliant, superb facility, full service, clean, great weights area, super pool, brilliant classes (own spinning suite), and if you want to stay away and exercise this place has to be on the list....

Rooms are average, ample size, but rather dark for working, and comfy beds. Apparently some rooms are shower only (mine was a decent rain shower over a bath)....

Negatives -

Food takes a while to arrive on room service (c. 45 to 50 mins on the 2 occasions I ordered), and when it does you wish you'd walked to the Nandos (3-5mins across the car park).

No real fruit / healthy option at breakfast (good fry up tho for a weekend in Manchester).

Noise from the motorway with the window open was disturbing to sleep (although I just put ear plugs in)...

Caution ... they do not provide an alarm clock in the rooms... the shower gel and hand gel is the stuff from the gym (the girls I was working away with were not happy about this).

We negotiated a rate of £65 a night, and for that I have to say, great gym, good to have Starbucks on-site, full service hotel, not falling apart, worth every penny ....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The crazy, stripey decor is suddenly beginning to look dated and is anything but relaxing. The food was poor, especially if you are even vaguely trying to be healthy. The beds look uninviting with very small pillows and a dog eared Village chain magazine thrown on them for you to read. (When I saw it I thought that somebody must have been using my room already). The bathrooms only offer an all in one body and hair wash so unless you want your hair to look like straw - take your own. The air coditioning is noisy and inefficient and you can't leave the window open because of the noise from the motorway. The only thing to recommend it were the staff. They are friendly, efficient and trying very hard under the circumstances.

Room Tip: Ask to be at the fron and on the left hand side as you look at the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bishybarnaby
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights at this hotel in April 2012. We arrived 90mins too early however the helpful front of house staff were happy to let us have our room straight away.
Really impressed with the main foyer, Bar, Verve Grill, Starbucks and entrance to Gym all easily accessible from here.
Our room on the 2nd floor was 'compact and bijou'(please excuse my spelling), which we didn't mind other than we had no wardrobes, cupboards or drawers! One open rail and the head board which helpfully had to double as a shelf. Not the end of the world really but a few drawers at least please? Although we generally prefer a bath the walk in wet room shower was very good.
This weekend was exceptionally busy as there were the usual Friday / Saturday night events + the Grand National event and a youth rugby tournament all impacting, which on the whole, the Hotel I felt coped well. We managed to enjoy the Gym and the use of the Pool, spa steam and sauna. The pool was a good size with relaxing sun beds for use. Of course the steam and sauna rooms were not massive but did the job. The Gym was particular big and very well equipped, very impressed, if I lived around here this would certainly be my regular Gym.
As this was a vist to see various family we only used the Verve Grill for our two breakfast mornings. The good news is that the food was very good, everything you want from a fully equipped buffet breakfast, however the staff on both mornings seemed over stretched. There needed someone in control to oversee what was going on, our second breakfast we were shown to our table and never had further contact with anyone. We eventually chased someone down to deliver a pot of tea - not too much to do as everything else is self service.
Would we come back - yes, I think the vibrant style associated with this hotel along with the many activities on offer make this a great choice - I will be optimistic that staffing issues will improve for our next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank PeterW092
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My wife and I booked in on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal this weekend. We arrived and thought it looked fantastic, and the staff on reception were very helpful and we were looking forward to a very nice stay. We first used the leisure facilities which are brilliant, nice big steam room and sauna but found the jaccuzzi a bit lame and wimpy to be honest. The changing rooms are very good, if a little confusing as every corner looks exactly the same but are very smart.

We next went to the bar area where we had some drinks and asked about local entertainment. The lad behind the bar was very helpful and we opted to stay in the hotel for the evening as we had already booked the meal for 8:30pm. We arrived at the Verve restaurant promptly at 8:30 only to be told that there were no free tables and they would need to clear some (despite us being able to see at least 5 empty laid tables, We returned 20 minutes later to be told that they still weren't ready so had another 10 minutes wait in the lobby area, the same empty tables were still empty at this point so we weren't very happy. When we finally got in there wasn't a great choice for Vegetarians, however the waiter was very helpful and advised of another dish the kitchen could put together. My wife ordered the mushrooms only to be told they would have to use different mushrooms that were served on a bread based as the ones they use had run out. When this arrived it was the most ridiculously tiny starter we had ever seen. 3 very small mushrooms with garlic and breadcrumbs on a huge 14" plate, with no bread base. I ordered the salmon fishcake which I was very pleased with and had goats cheese salad while my wife had the veggie pasta meal they had prepared. Both were very average, Desert was cheesecake - a very no-nonsense affair served with little more than the waiter's good grace (he was fantastic).

After our meal we went back to the bar for drinks and liquour coffees, very nice but took 10 minutes to make.

when we returned to the room we noticed a smell in the air and tracked it down to a wet patch next to the bed, which had quite clearly been recently vomited on and cleaned. It was a little late by this time and we didn't want to cause a fuss so we just covered it with a towel and did our best to try and ignore it. The night was quite noisy, we were placed next to a lift with a banging door, just the luck of the draw I guess. My only other complaint about noise was the buzzing from the light control unit next to the bed. The face plate was also coming away from the wall which I thought was a bit tatty.

Morning came, and I had a look at the menu for the food we had and have to say I was seriously shocked at the prices they are asking for what we were served. The meal I had I would value at roughly £12- £15. It was sub-standard, nothing special and messily put together, yet would have cost nearly £30 each if we had paid full price.

Then we went down to breakfast. You guessed it - more waiting for a table despite plenty of empty ones on view. When we were finally let in we were pointed to a table, not offered coffee, asked if we had ate there before or told the breakfast situation. As we looked dumbly around we saw the buffet tables and went first for the toast. The toaster machine takes on average 3-4 attempts to toast the bread, warming it a little each time, so there ends up with quite a queue for this. I then went to look for some jam. If you're staying at this hotel I hope you like apricot jam, because they have buckets of the stuff and nothing else. We didn't have any of the danish pastries but went for the cooked breakfast buffet. There were only a small number of serving spoons here and the same spoons and ladles were being used for both black pudding, sausage and bacon and then going into the vegetarian dishes with eggs, sauteed potatoes etc - we had to ask for another ladle and then pick out the bits of black pudding from the food, Also half the salt and pepper pots don't work. We ended up leaving it and sat down to flag a member of staff to ask for our coffee which should have been offered when we arrived. We then tried to add milk - the milk jug on our table was also empty. Any of these things on their own we would overlook with a smile, but after a while it becomes a real annoyance, so we left an went to Starbucks. Checking out was easy and no fuss.

All in all, the venue is superb in appearance but some of the staff need a lot more training, the restaurant needs to run smoother and the food needs drastically improving from its current below Wetherspoon standard. All in all, what could have been a very nice night away ended up being a bit of a disappointment, and I'm still trying to get rid of the smell of vomit lingering in my nostrils.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aisforandy
WilliamsVAM, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Ashton, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. I am very sorry to hear of your dissapointment with the Verve Grill and I am keen to look into the matter further for you as I certainly don't want this to be your lasting impression of De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. We take all guest feedback very seriously here at the hotel as it is key to the sucess of delivering a great experience for our guests. If you could be so kind as to email me directly with the finer details of your stay I can certainly follow this up.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind Regards

Mark Williams
Senior General Manager for De Vere Village Hotels
Tel: 0844 980 0017
Email: mark.williams@village-hotels.com
Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

We have stayed in this hotel before and we had aways thought it to be a good hotel. Well, what a difference 12 months can make. We booked a one night special rate, dinner bed and breakfast that was incredible value for money. However that is the only good point about the hotel in 12 months it has changed beyond measure. The food in the restaraunt was of a very poor standard. Food was being returned at an alarming rate by fellow diners. As for the nights sleep it was constantly disturbed by drunk and rowdy guests slamming doors, shouting in corridors, our sleep was constantly disturbed until 5 am when the hotel finally fell quiet. Unsurprisingly the breakfast was of the same poor standard as the diner the previous evening.
Hard over cooked food and the continental choice consisted of stale and soggy pastries. A very dissapointing stay and a very dissapointing hotel that has gone down hill. Oh, there was a
very understanding and embarrassed receptionist who tried to made amends by offering a complimentary bottle of wine. Her proffesionalism and that of many of the staff is obviously holding this hotel together.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank David M
Dear Guset,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. I'm very surprised to hear of you dissapointment of the food standards in Verve Grill, I have looked into this matter with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manger and they haven't had any meals returned to the kitchen from Diners throughout the month, may I ask that you contact myself directly in order for me to look into this matter further.

I am extremely sorry that you were disturbed during the night, we have had very busy weekends with up to two hundred and fifty residents staying in the hotel on any one night. Our guests stay at the hotel for many different reasons and at weekends it is often to celebrate an occassion. I can assure you that regular floor walks are carried out to ensure disturbance is kept to a minimal.

Thank you for your kind comments about the Jackie the receptionist you spoke with upon your departure and the staff you spoke with throughout your stay. If i can be of any further assistance please do contact me directly.

Kind Regards

Mark Williams
Senior General Manager for De Vere Village Hotels
Tel: 0844 980 0017
Email: mark.williams@village-hotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashton-under-Lyne
2.9 km away
Barton Villa
#1 of 1 in Dukinfield
2.7 km away
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Ashton? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK