New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Needs improvement, prepare to wait for food.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Manchester Ashton

Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Needs improvement, prepare to wait for food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My wife and I booked in on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal this weekend. We arrived and thought it looked fantastic, and the staff on reception were very helpful and we were looking forward to a very nice stay. We first used the leisure facilities which are brilliant, nice big steam room and sauna but found the jaccuzzi a bit lame and wimpy to be honest. The changing rooms are very good, if a little confusing as every corner looks exactly the same but are very smart.

We next went to the bar area where we had some drinks and asked about local entertainment. The lad behind the bar was very helpful and we opted to stay in the hotel for the evening as we had already booked the meal for 8:30pm. We arrived at the Verve restaurant promptly at 8:30 only to be told that there were no free tables and they would need to clear some (despite us being able to see at least 5 empty laid tables, We returned 20 minutes later to be told that they still weren't ready so had another 10 minutes wait in the lobby area, the same empty tables were still empty at this point so we weren't very happy. When we finally got in there wasn't a great choice for Vegetarians, however the waiter was very helpful and advised of another dish the kitchen could put together. My wife ordered the mushrooms only to be told they would have to use different mushrooms that were served on a bread based as the ones they use had run out. When this arrived it was the most ridiculously tiny starter we had ever seen. 3 very small mushrooms with garlic and breadcrumbs on a huge 14" plate, with no bread base. I ordered the salmon fishcake which I was very pleased with and had goats cheese salad while my wife had the veggie pasta meal they had prepared. Both were very average, Desert was cheesecake - a very no-nonsense affair served with little more than the waiter's good grace (he was fantastic).

After our meal we went back to the bar for drinks and liquour coffees, very nice but took 10 minutes to make.

when we returned to the room we noticed a smell in the air and tracked it down to a wet patch next to the bed, which had quite clearly been recently vomited on and cleaned. It was a little late by this time and we didn't want to cause a fuss so we just covered it with a towel and did our best to try and ignore it. The night was quite noisy, we were placed next to a lift with a banging door, just the luck of the draw I guess. My only other complaint about noise was the buzzing from the light control unit next to the bed. The face plate was also coming away from the wall which I thought was a bit tatty.

Morning came, and I had a look at the menu for the food we had and have to say I was seriously shocked at the prices they are asking for what we were served. The meal I had I would value at roughly £12- £15. It was sub-standard, nothing special and messily put together, yet would have cost nearly £30 each if we had paid full price.

Then we went down to breakfast. You guessed it - more waiting for a table despite plenty of empty ones on view. When we were finally let in we were pointed to a table, not offered coffee, asked if we had ate there before or told the breakfast situation. As we looked dumbly around we saw the buffet tables and went first for the toast. The toaster machine takes on average 3-4 attempts to toast the bread, warming it a little each time, so there ends up with quite a queue for this. I then went to look for some jam. If you're staying at this hotel I hope you like apricot jam, because they have buckets of the stuff and nothing else. We didn't have any of the danish pastries but went for the cooked breakfast buffet. There were only a small number of serving spoons here and the same spoons and ladles were being used for both black pudding, sausage and bacon and then going into the vegetarian dishes with eggs, sauteed potatoes etc - we had to ask for another ladle and then pick out the bits of black pudding from the food, Also half the salt and pepper pots don't work. We ended up leaving it and sat down to flag a member of staff to ask for our coffee which should have been offered when we arrived. We then tried to add milk - the milk jug on our table was also empty. Any of these things on their own we would overlook with a smile, but after a while it becomes a real annoyance, so we left an went to Starbucks. Checking out was easy and no fuss.

All in all, the venue is superb in appearance but some of the staff need a lot more training, the restaurant needs to run smoother and the food needs drastically improving from its current below Wetherspoon standard. All in all, what could have been a very nice night away ended up being a bit of a disappointment, and I'm still trying to get rid of the smell of vomit lingering in my nostrils.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank aisforandy
WilliamsVAM, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Ashton, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. I am very sorry to hear of your dissapointment with the Verve Grill and I am keen to look into the matter further for you as I certainly don't want this to be your lasting impression of De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. We take all guest feedback very seriously here at the hotel as it is key to the sucess of delivering a great experience for our guests. If you could be so kind as to email me directly with the finer details of your stay I can certainly follow this up.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Senior General Manager for De Vere Village Hotels
Email: mark.williams@village-hotels.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

We have stayed in this hotel before and we had aways thought it to be a good hotel. Well, what a difference 12 months can make. We booked a one night special rate, dinner bed and breakfast that was incredible value for money. However that is the only good point about the hotel in 12 months it has changed beyond measure. The food in the restaraunt was of a very poor standard. Food was being returned at an alarming rate by fellow diners. As for the nights sleep it was constantly disturbed by drunk and rowdy guests slamming doors, shouting in corridors, our sleep was constantly disturbed until 5 am when the hotel finally fell quiet. Unsurprisingly the breakfast was of the same poor standard as the diner the previous evening.
Hard over cooked food and the continental choice consisted of stale and soggy pastries. A very dissapointing stay and a very dissapointing hotel that has gone down hill. Oh, there was a
very understanding and embarrassed receptionist who tried to made amends by offering a complimentary bottle of wine. Her proffesionalism and that of many of the staff is obviously holding this hotel together.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank David M
Dear Guset,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. I'm very surprised to hear of you dissapointment of the food standards in Verve Grill, I have looked into this matter with our Head Chef and Restaurant Manger and they haven't had any meals returned to the kitchen from Diners throughout the month, may I ask that you contact myself directly in order for me to look into this matter further.

I am extremely sorry that you were disturbed during the night, we have had very busy weekends with up to two hundred and fifty residents staying in the hotel on any one night. Our guests stay at the hotel for many different reasons and at weekends it is often to celebrate an occassion. I can assure you that regular floor walks are carried out to ensure disturbance is kept to a minimal.

Thank you for your kind comments about the Jackie the receptionist you spoke with upon your departure and the staff you spoke with throughout your stay. If i can be of any further assistance please do contact me directly.

Senior General Manager for De Vere Village Hotels
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is a review of the leisure facilities and the eating areas.
We have now been leisure club members since Nov 2011, we have found the gym to be an excellent standard with fantastic classes including the likes of Spin, Zumba, body pump and my personal favourite circuit training, anybody who is staying at the hotel can go on the classes.
The pool area is nicely kept with plenty of room in both the sauna and steam room.
We have eaten at both the Victory pub and the Verve restaurants and found them to be very pleasant experiances with a good choice on the menus.
All staff members have been very friendly from the moment we joined, Village Ashton should be very proud of the hard work they all do.
We will be staying overnight sometime later this year so will give a review of the accomadation then.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank fuzzy67
WilliamsVAM, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Ashton, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of the leisure club at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton.

It's great to hear a review from a leisure club member and also great to hear that you have enjoyed meals in the Victory Pub and the Verve Grill.

I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on the Lee Martin the leisure club manager and his team as I'm sure they will be delighted to hear them.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I've been coming down to the Manchester area for many years, and trying to find a decent hotel that wasn't full of football supporters was tough, til I started coming here.

The hotel is just off the M60 motorway and in a fairly new retail area. On our first visit here, the gymnasium was being used by Ricky Hatton as he prepared for a world title fight.... the gym isn't my area, but was worth looking into. Very nice pool area and well equipped gym.

On our 2nd visit we arrived late at night, and when we woke next morning and went to reception, there were lights, cameras, films crew.....turned out they were filming part of an episode of Coronation Street there, so you can see how popular this place is!

The rooms were very comfortable, ipod docks on the LED TVs and plenty room for a single bed to be added as we had our son with us. Tastefully decorated rooms and well equipped bathrooms keeps the mrs happy, so she had no complaints there...free wifi kept the young boy happy, so I was happy too.

Best to go when you can get a deal with free dinner on your first evenings stay, although not overly pricey, every little helps. Good selection of food at The Verve Grill, and there were always clean plates all round. All in all, the facilities are excellent here.

Would recommend for couples and small families, you may pay a little more than other hotels, and of course, watch out, when there is a football match in town, the prices do tend to go up, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better hotel at a better price

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank fighttheflab
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this tripadvisor review about your recent stay at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton.

I'm delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experiences at the hotel and that you have become a loyal guest . It's great to hear that you have enjoyed all the facilities that the hotel has to offer and have returned on numerous occasions.

I do hope we will welcome you back in the very near future and hope that you continue to enjoy the hotels facilities. Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Village Hotels
Tel: 0844 980 0017 (opt 5)
Stockport
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

The food.... It would be wrong to put it in the same category as food as it is utterly diabolical for example how hard is it to cook peas! I am not joking and the rest of our order was barely palatable. Go to the Fairfield Arms round the corner, you will get simple home cooked delicious food and will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JustincStockport
WilliamsVAM, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Ashton, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to visit tripadvisor and make a review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Manchester Ashton. I'm extremely surprised to here of your disappointment with regards to food in the Victory Pub, I would like to assure you that this is by no means the standard we aim to deliver and would like to discuss this further you. We have very strict food specifications within the Hotel which is why I am surprised to hear of your dissapointment.

If you could be so kind to email me your contact details I will certainly be in touch personally to discuss this with you.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and I do hope to speak with you soon.

Village Hotels
Tel: 0844 980 0017 (opt 5)
Email: mark.williams@village-hotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashton-under-Lyne
2.9 km away
1.7 km away
Barton Villa
Barton Villa
#1 of 1 in Dukinfield

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Ashton? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK