All reviews amazing views recommend this hotel spent nights luigi villa sea terrace
Reviewed 6 July 2009

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Colombaia for a couple of nights in May. This hotel was recommended by another friend and we have him to thank for a lovely experience. The sunsets each evening from the terrace were amazing. We were a bit disappointed when we arrived because the pool was being serviced and the restaurant was closed because there were so few guests. Luigi could not have been more helpful. He recommended a nearby restaurant (and even drove us there!) the first night and called in a chef the second night so we could enjoy dining in the lovely room by the pool. He also gave us great suggestions for places to see nearby. I cannot wait to go back there and, hopefully, stay longer and explore more of the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I have to start by saying every summer for the past 10 years I travel to Italy from New York and stay the entire month of August. I have stayed in many different B&B's hotels and motels. After My stay at La Colombaia I can assure you that I will only return there, I will never stay at a different hotel again! The staff is fabulous everyone is so kind, corteous and extremely attentive. My personal favorite was Luigi what a warm wonderful person. I really felt like I was part of a family there. The rooms are gorgeous, clean. The food is wonderfully mouth watering. The pool an amazing oasis amidst the mountains with spectacular views of the ocean. In closing I would like to say thank you once again to the staff of La Colombaia and to all people reading this I vow to only stay at La colombaia every summer from now on. Agropoli and La colombaia are superb.

Christina Mkaiki

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank georgeswife
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Fabulous time! relaxing! Agropoli is a lovely sleepy little village with much to offer. Hotel Excellent, staff excellent. We would love to go back soon.

Trish Bill
Melbourne Australia

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We suffered 3 days of a planned and paid for six day stay before leaving this hotel, fed up with unhelpful, arrogant, rude management and second rate services.

It was booked as "The food and wine lovers southern Italy tour". It was a shambles! The "tour" was arranged through In Italy Online - also, ultimately unhelpful and rude - to the extent of simply refusing to respond to e-mails!

It began with us not being met in Naples for our transfer to Agropoli, despite e-mail and calls confirming our arrival time and train number. After phoning the Villa to sort this out, four people and their luggage were crammed into a compact for a very uncomfortable trip to Agropoli.

As others have said, this hotel is a long way from anywhere, along winding "goat-tracks" in the hills behind Agropoli. Unless you have a car there is no way out, and nothing in the immediate vicinity. For those who are mindful of their own safety, it is without fire alarms and guests are "locked in" overnight, with the owner residing off-site. It boasted satellite TV, which didn't work , wireless internet access, which worked occasionally, and an in-room phone that had to be replaced on day two.

The food at the villa was basic at best and, at times, inedible. We were served at different times, burned bruschetta, dried out, overcooked fish, questionable veal and on one occasion, pre-prepared canneloni that had been cooked to the toughness of leather. Desserts were either nonexistent or equally uninspiring. Just like another reviewer, on one evening we were offered a piece of fruit! And breakfast? In this country of wonderful cheeses, meats and breads we were simply offered a single boxed cereal and a croissant!

The rest of the "tour" was an ad-hoc affair, with a driver who spoke not a word of English and who repeatedly became lost - on one occasion spending an hour to get back on route. We were taken to the exit rather than entrance of Paestum, taken to see the workings of a buffalo mozarella farm that were closed, and to a luncheon venue that did not serve lunch. Our complaints to In Italy resulted in hurried attempts to make good , with the provision of an English speaking "chaperone" whose greatest value, ultimately, was in assisting us to make preparations to "escape".

This is not a place for anyone who enjoys the fundamentals of holidaying - good food, warm hospitality and relaxation. Luigi is not a host. When it suits, his bellowing at staff can just as promptly be turned on guests when things aren't going his way.

In short, La Colombaia and booking through In Italy are both to be avoided.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wayfaring
Hotel_Colombaia, proprietario at Hotel La Colombaia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2009

A real disaster, that what your sejour in my hotel was.
What about us? We went through 5 days of calvary always ready to satisfy the nonsense requests of a couple who didn’t know what wanted! What a sigh of relief when you left! A very bad nightmare. Fortunately Guests like you are very rare. Sorry, and I beg your pardon again if something did not go as your plans. When we have the chance, satisfying our Guests’ desire is our strength. The certain fact are the negative messages published on this site: only three among thousands of Guests that every year honour us with their presence. Thousands of people from all over the world and though the years, come to our Hotel and we try to be available and to assist them with their needs. I don’t want to be polemic about the accuses have been made to us because with no sense and false. That is my suggestion: remind, for your next holiday, to be more human being towards the workers and to keep in mind the quality/price evaluation. Obviously the price has to be paid anyway………………without running away.
Life is beautiful………….but that’s another matter.
Luigi Botti

Reviewed 25 October 2008

A warm welcome and delightful accommodation.
A super base for relaxing and exploring the area.

Excellent value and no hesitation in recommending.

Richard and Juliet.