See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here just in beginning of tourist season, so it was quite slow and not too crowded. The manager on site, an American called Rick was very nice and helpful. Upon arrival we wanted to change rooms because of a whole in the wooden floor (on our earlier travels we had some problems with unexpected "guests" in our hotel room so we didnt want to take a chance) and that was no problem.

The surrondings are nice, a small garden, a clean indoor seating area (where breakfast is served) and a large kitchen where you can prepare your own meals. As we were backpacking and Costa Rica, or at least Monteverde, is a bit more expensive then our other destinations in terms of food/drinks in restaurants we enjoyed cooking our own food and spending our money on discovering the rainforest instead. The rooms are nothing fancy at all, but hey, you are just sleeping there, right? You are in the rainforest so you get what you expect. A fully wooden room with two beds, a chair and a bathroom. Not very hot water in the shower, but didn't bother us too much.

We recommended the place to some friend of ours, and when they visited a month later they thought it was so so. Maybe because Rick was not there at the tie, he added much to our stay with his fun ways and helpful tips.

And oh, if you are lucky, the monkeys will come to visit around breakfast so you can feed them right out of your hand :-)

/Emma & Anders

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Quetzal Inn in August of 2012 while traveling in costa rica for 3 weeks. We covered a lot of destinations during that trip and this was by far the best value. Clean, affordable rooms in a great location with breakfast included. It was my understanding at the time that there had been a recent change in management. We were a party of 4 seeking 2 rooms. Sergio showed us a few options before settling on two rooms towards the back of the property with huge picture windows and private patio/balcony. Perfect setting; set back far enough from town to find peace and quiet and wildlife in the trees all around. We also had the pleasure of a private night hike with Sergio as our guide. Absolutely amazing! He is a biologist with a wealth of knowledge and a super easy guy to talk to. I hope to find him again on our next visit!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Coryg63
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The family are lovely but it stops there. Bed linen old and ill fitting, lights - bare bulb and dim, walls very thin, generally run down and it could have been so much better. Towels with holes and very thin. Spend your money elsewhere and get value. No cupboard or chair in room. Pillows very small and lumpy.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Upon checking into the Quetzal Inn, my 13yr old son commented about the smell of mold and urine in the bathroom. My wife requested a room change and it was granted.
Within minutes in the new room my son (not normally a super spy) found sand under his pillow. I guess I'll sleep in that bed as I can deal with that. My daughter went to take a shower and the hot water was non existent. I went to check it out and noticed one of the wires that heats the showerhead dangling above her head and not a single towel in the room anywhere. That's 4 issues. We're outta here. While leaving the front desk girl handed a cell phone to my wife. I assume it was the owner. Instead of apologizing she got into a heated argument with my wife, and threatened to call the police as now she has to make the beds. (for real!!!!!) So here's my summary: If you are vacationing with you're family "MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE". If you're with a few biker buddies who've had too much too drink need a cold shower and don't care about sleeping in dirt you'll be right at home. Except for the missing towels!

3  Thank JohnMMcKenzie
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The strongest points of Quetzal Inn are its location, in the heart of Santa Elena, and, at the same time, at a very quiety and secluded place; and the friendliness and care of its staff. Good for families.