See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 November 2015 via mobile

We state here for two out of our four nights in Unawatuna and would definitely go there again if we return to this beach. Location is great! Right on the beach, close to main beach restaurants (including SurfCity's "Black and White" restaurant which was also great). Staff was nice. Rooms were comfortable (including fan, mosquito net, towels and soap). Toilet could have been cleaner.. Wifi was good. The place had quite a few sitting areas - which made it great for meeting and hanging out with other guests.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank OfirKatz
Reviewed 27 October 2015

The SurfCity Guesthouse in Unawatuna is a few seconds away from the beach, what makes is a great place to stay. Kalinga & Asard (the receptionist & manager) were always there for us and ready to help.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2015

I stayed here for a few nights while backpacking around Sri Lanka. Staff were very friendly, the room was pretty good value, but there isn't any hot water. It was hot so this wasn't a massive deal breaker. I went for a non air con room with a fan and this was fine. There was a couple of holes in the mosquito net though, and this was the only place I visited where this was a problem.

The hotel is pretty centrally located, but isn't as such on the sand anyone, this is down to the fact there is a lot of erosion happening in Unawatuna at the moment and the sand has been washed away. A few years ago this place would have been a lot more picturesque. I had breakfast here a couple of mornings and also I had dinner, the food is good, and drink prices around average for the area.

As has been mentioned WiFi isn't really working in the rooms, but does sometimes, and works in reception and the restaurant. Worth considering but probably if I went back I'd go somewhere located a bit further along which still has sand at the door.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Gavin22y
Reviewed 8 April 2015 via mobile

I stayed at Surf City guest house for 4 nights at the beginning of April. The staff are friendly, but it wasn't clear who was in charge.
The wifi only works in reception.
I was in the non a/c ground floor room between reception and the cleaning cupboard. The room didn't have a basin, only toilet and shower.
Incredibly hot day and night, plus there was quite a few ants.
Room could have been cleaner. Power cuts everyday.
Mosquito net provided above the bed. No mosquito screen over windows.
I didn't eat at the restaurant.
Things that annoy me are misleading descriptions - there was no hot water, safety deposit and lockers consisted of a lockable filing cabinet behind the reception desk. This meant a tiny drawer, but you couldn't get access unless staff were on reception. Reception was unguarded several hours a day.
Good location, but I wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank MagicalMysteryTour15
Reviewed 9 March 2015 via mobile

Nice guesthouse in an ideal location right next to Unawatuna beach with plenty of bars and restaurants along the beach.
The staff were very helpful and the little restaurant attached to the guesthouse served fresh seafood and the best chocolate banana pancakes!!

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends