“Meal with my parents”
Review of Captain Digby

Captain Digby
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain Digby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Kingsgate
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With a unique childrens outdoor and indoor play area close to the bar serving snacks and light meals. Our restaurant is separate and raised from our bar area with our ever so popular restaurant menu. A friendly, family pub and restaurant with spectacular cliff top views close to the beach. Providing fresh home cooked food and local real ale.Catering for all ages all year round serving food from 12pm till 9.30pm/10pm 7 days a week.
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Staff were really nice, friendly and helpful.
We had a great seat with a good view of the Kingsgate Castle across the bay.
My parents both had the scampi, they both said this was really good.
I had the chicken burger, which was very nice.
There are a lot of children around the bar, some running about, which is not for everyone. They also do not allow dogs, so for that reason and that there are a lot of children about, I can only give them 4 stars.
The food and staff are very good though.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

We took our youngsters to show off our favourite local restaurant. As ever the staff were friendly and welcoming and the waitress quickly took our drinks order and then the food order. The food arrived quickly. The garlic king prawns were declared by the son in law to be the best he'd ever had. My wife had the garlic and cheese mushrooms and was delighted by her choice as was our daughter who had the prawn cocktail. I had the green lipped mussels (my favourite) and they were perfect. The special curry, the chicken supreme, the hake and the fillet steak were all excellent with the food piping hot and the vegetables perfectly cooked. The portions were more than large enough and I had to admit defeat and left some of the vegetables. The mushroom sauce supplied with the chicken supreme was delicious and there was an extra sauce boat of it. I have to confess that I ate all of it. Mind you, we were all so full that we couldn't manage a dessert!
It is clear that the manageress, Hollie, has a real enthusiasm and that showed in her food. I recently visited Ballards at the Royal Albion Hotel and subsequently left a scathing review on Tripadvisor. The chef at Ballards would, I am sure, benefit from a visit to the Captain Digby.

1  Thank John W
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Have visited on several occasions, and has always been a lovely place to have a spot of lunch or enjoy a drink whilst overlooking the bay.

The castle-style exterior has been left untouched, but inside is a friendly and welcoming pub with internal and external restaurant areas. Botany, Kingsgate and Joss Bays are all within walking distance.

If the weather is nice, take the opportunity to sit outside and take in the fantastic views over Kingsgate and the English Channel. Prices are very reasonable, particularly for food and the portions are more than generous.

1  Thank Lee R
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Our party had an adult over 90, four adults over 70, and a baby of 8 months and whilst you may not have had a problem on any other day the wind whipping through every time somebody opened the door was most invigorating and eventually distressing.

The fact that the staff seemed to need to move several pieces of furniture back in, whilst we were eating did not help.

On the food side we ordered a few starters and  drinks which came in a timely manner, and were at best - mediocre, but about half an hour after we had finished a waitress came over to ask whether we would like deserts. We informed her we were still waiting on our mains and she went away; a number of other diners managed to come and go after eating while we were waiting and my brother went to ask several times when we could expect our main course and eventually they arrived about 1.5 hours after ordering. It was clear that some of the dishes had been re-heated and others just covered in hot sauce to give them some heat and what made it worse was that the waitress, acting out some charade, informed us the plates were extremely hot, when in fact they were at best cold. With the exception of a salad all meals seemed to have been 'got at' to make them appear hot although all vegetables were cold.

If I had been paying the bill you would have been lucky to get the drinks paid for, but in view of the fact that it was a birthday celebration for my 92 year old mother we had no wish to upset her and so the reduction offered was accepted.
At no time was this visit a pleasure and I hope that others take note of your service.
To make matters worse four of the adults and the baby now have streaming colds!

1  Thank rayndpam
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We just celebrated a 30th birthday and all staff were soo lovely and attentive. The manager Holly was exceptional and could not have been more helpful. The food was absolutely delicious and the portions were huge. We will definitely all be recommending the restaurant to anyone wondering where to have there next meal .