“A real find in Broadstairs”
Review of Captain Digby

Captain Digby
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain Digby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Kingsgate
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: With a unique childrens outdoor and indoor play area close to the bar serving snacks and light meals. Our restaurant is separate and raised from our bar area with our ever so popular restaurant menu. A friendly, family pub and restaurant with spectacular cliff top views close to the beach. Providing fresh home cooked food and local real ale.Catering for all ages all year round serving food from 12pm till 9.30pm/10pm 7 days a week.
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Have visited on several occasions, and has always been a lovely place to have a spot of lunch or enjoy a drink whilst overlooking the bay.

The castle-style exterior has been left untouched, but inside is a friendly and welcoming pub with internal and external restaurant areas. Botany, Kingsgate and Joss Bays are all within walking distance.

If the weather is nice, take the opportunity to sit outside and take in the fantastic views over Kingsgate and the English Channel. Prices are very reasonable, particularly for food and the portions are more than generous.

1  Thank Lee R

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Our party had an adult over 90, four adults over 70, and a baby of 8 months and whilst you may not have had a problem on any other day the wind whipping through every time somebody opened the door was most invigorating and eventually distressing.

The fact that the staff seemed to need to move several pieces of furniture back in, whilst we were eating did not help.

On the food side we ordered a few starters and  drinks which came in a timely manner, and were at best - mediocre, but about half an hour after we had finished a waitress came over to ask whether we would like deserts. We informed her we were still waiting on our mains and she went away; a number of other diners managed to come and go after eating while we were waiting and my brother went to ask several times when we could expect our main course and eventually they arrived about 1.5 hours after ordering. It was clear that some of the dishes had been re-heated and others just covered in hot sauce to give them some heat and what made it worse was that the waitress, acting out some charade, informed us the plates were extremely hot, when in fact they were at best cold. With the exception of a salad all meals seemed to have been 'got at' to make them appear hot although all vegetables were cold.

If I had been paying the bill you would have been lucky to get the drinks paid for, but in view of the fact that it was a birthday celebration for my 92 year old mother we had no wish to upset her and so the reduction offered was accepted.
At no time was this visit a pleasure and I hope that others take note of your service.
To make matters worse four of the adults and the baby now have streaming colds!

1  Thank rayndpam
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We just celebrated a 30th birthday and all staff were soo lovely and attentive. The manager Holly was exceptional and could not have been more helpful. The food was absolutely delicious and the portions were huge. We will definitely all be recommending the restaurant to anyone wondering where to have there next meal .

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I am not a person who reports on restaurants on this site unless I have had an exceptional or terrible experience. Unfortunately I am reporting the later. This place had been recommended to us so we thought having gone to cliftonville for the day from London we should try it. It was a beautiful day and Sunday so of course very busy but I like to rate a restaurant when it is busy not when it is dead. When busy the management should get their act and staff together and minimise the impact on customer service. There must have been at least 70 people on outside tables because the weather was so good. On arrival was told by a member of staff that if you eat inside we will take your order but if outside I had to go to the bar and do so . So far so good . On arrival at the bar there was only one person taking orders and a queue of 4 people . As the first order was being made by some tourists their order started to take more time and by the time they had finished and paid the queue had 9 people. After taking the first order the girl disappeared to make coffees leaving the people waiting to make orders with nobody. At least 15 minutes had passed when I asked a member of the barstaff if I could speak with a manager . The directed me to a young guy and I explained that surely they should have more people helping with the food orders due to the wait. He said he would come over and help out but he disappeared and the next thing I saw him do was slice a few lemons behind the bar. In all I was waiting 30 minutes to order two meals and two drinks. Whilst it was busy and everyone seemed to be doing something many were just wandering around without a care in the world. There seemed no organisation. How can any business treat customers who want to spend money on food just have one person taking orders at the bar and expect them to stand for 30 minutes. After this wait to order we knew it was going to take longer for the food to arrive but it was a nice day to sit outside so we persevered. After another 40 minutes had passed we saw the person who was in the queue in front go to ask for a refund and the person behind us in the queue get their meal we decided to go and ask for a refund too. I found someone who looked like a supervisor or manageress as she was standing chatting to a friend. I asked for a refund and she looked at my receipt and said "its only 30 minutes" I corrected her to say it was actually 48 minutes. She came back to say it would be ready in a few minutes. No apology that I can remember either. The food arrived and the only redeeming factor was that it was ok to good but definitely not worth such a long wait. This place may be pleasant in the week when it is not busy but out of principle I would never give them my custom again. The management should take a look at how most pub restaurants operate and offer multiple points where food and drink can be ordered at the bar not at one station. In my opinion they should employ staff who are more capable of prioritization of workloads when the place is busy .

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

When we sat down the table beside us said " dont expect to get served anytime soon", they left without final order. I love the captain digby !but! wont be going back. Service was bad, I dont blame the staff because they are lovely. Its clear they dont have enough. The food was not what it used to be, what went wrong. Might go back for coffee and view but not to eat.