“Deplorable service--stay away!”

Ranked #73 of 88 Restaurants in Parikia
Limassol, Cyprus
“Deplorable service--stay away!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This concerns an experience I had in early August 2011. At the time, Coffeeway did not have an entry on tripadvisor under which to post my review, so I am posting it now.

_______

At the cafe I received the most incompetent and appalling service ever.

First, even though the cafe advertised serving crepes on the hand-written menu board outside, the waiter curtly informed us that they were out of crepe batter, but that waffles were still available. So we ordered a waffle with whipped cream and honey, a plain croissant, Greek yogurt with fruit, and a ham and cheese omelet, along with filter coffee and orange juice. The drinks, the yogurt and the omelet arrived without incident.

After a 15 minute delay arrived the waffle, only it was the wrong type--it came with Nutella chocolate drizzle, 5 massive wallops of whipped cream, and some extra Nutella for good measure. Since we were too hungry at that point, we decided to accept it without saying anything, but alas it was inedible as it was toothache-inducing sweet.

In the meantime, the croissant--the easiest item in the order--was nowhere to be seen. When we asked about it (when the waffle arrived) we were told that it was coming. After an additional 5 minute delay, we asked again, and the waiter said ambiguously (in English) "It finished" (which my friend interpreted as "it's done baking"). Being wary of the accumulating evidence of poor service, I went inside to the bar to clarify (in Greek) what was meant by that, and as you may have guessed it meant that they had in fact run out of croissants. They couldn't give me an explanation for why they had to wait 20 minutes to let us know that. Ironically, there is a bakery directly opposite the cafe, and at the very least, if this were a service-oriented establishment, they would've walked two feet across the street to replenish their baked goods. That's in fact what my frustrated friend did--she walked to the bakery, got a croissant, and came back to the table, as we weren't willing to order an other item and wait 20 minutes so that it may or may not arrive.

Apparently bad service wasn't restricted to our table, since a group of people next to us got up and left without paying after being served either the wrong coffee drink order or a poorly executed version of it (I didn't catch the full exchange).

Altogether this cafe seemed like an amateur operation: staff was curt, indifferent, and unapologetic about their obvious mistakes, and their communications failed throughout the system--from non-updated menu boards, to delayed and wrong orders, to not informing customers about shortages of basic items.

Stay away from Coffeeway!!

• Visited August 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow