“13 Euro 13:00!”

Freizeit-Land Geiselwind
Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

Our family of six enjoyed this Freizeitpark deal! We arrived at 13:00 and paid a total of 13 Euros per person; 78 Euros and parking was free! Wow, right?! Worth a visit, in Autumn (October), for that price! Enjoy!

Date of experience: October 2016

Reviewed 16 September 2016

I visited this Park about shortly before Schools started Summer Vacation in Bavaria in July.
My visit was a spontanous one, as I had initially planned to visit other things in the South of Bavaria, but the weather report said it would be raining there. So I got in my car and drove North instead, since I didn't want to spend my off-day at home.

This Park has been around since the 1970s and I remember coming here as a Kid back in the 80s. It was one of 3 Amusement Parks located within an hours drive from the Nuremberg Military Community back in the day.
I remember that this one was my least favorite back then, as I much preferred Schloss Thurn and even the Wunderland for their Old West themed areas and shows, as well as the Fairy Tale Forest at Wunderland. Sadly I found out that the latter has closed, and may or may not open again once extensive refurbishments are carried out.

Having seen it from the A3 on another trip North, I thought I might check it out again, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Getting there:
Geiselwind has an exit from the A3 Autobahn and there is good signage towards the Park. There were some roadworks being carried out both around the on-off ramps and the Autobahn itself, so that could lead to a bit of traffic on busy days.
Coming from the South (Ingolstadt) there was also heavy traffic at the Interchange from the A9 to A3 due to roadworks. Traffic was still pretty heavy between Nürnberg and Aurach (shortly beyond Erlangen), but then lightened.

Parking:
There is free parking available at the Park, and it's more than enough.
While I was on the "Top of the World" I actually thought that with all those available spaces still empty, if they were to fill up, the Park might get extremely crowded.

Tickets:
The price for a day ticket was €27.50 which I found relatively high when you consider the prices at some of the other Amusement Parks in Bavaria. They do have a large offering of different Shows, a good number of rides, a nice Woodlands Area, and several different types of Animals and a Petting Zoo. Schloss Thurn (which is the closest other Amusement Park) costs €19.50. Geiselwind does appear to have more thrill rides for older kids and adults though.

My visit:
I got there shortly after Opening time, and there were a few tour busses as well with School Classes on an outing.
Considering that there had just been a series of terrorist attacks (and mass shooting) in Bavaria, I would've thought that places like this, which are Soft Targets would do a bit more about Security, such as checking Visitors bags and having visible Park Security.
I didn't take any, but many people were walking around with backpacks. Having a X-ray machine at the entrance would've given a more assuring feeling. Though all in all I never felt unsafe, and I'm not going to stop having fun just because some Crazies want us to alter our way of life.

There were some lines at a few rides, but I never waited more than maybe 15 minutes on a ride.
No single rider lines available, but on my visit there was no need as things did move ahead at a good pace. The only place where I was a little disappointed was at the log flume ride, the Operators didn't try to fill boats a bit more, and I ended up having one all for myself, which was maybe the ride I felt most awkard at.

There is a decent selection of rides, though they are mostly of the mobile variant that you find at many of the Travelling Fun Fairs at Volksfeste all around Germany. Not much was done to integrate the rides to make them look more like permanent installations.
My favorites were definitely the Free Fall Tower which was a real blast, and the Vekoma Boomerang (though that second sharp breaking when returning to the station feels unnecessary and nearly had me hurling my lunch). Many of the other rides, while fun, did have a much older feel to them. Especially the Spinning Coaster had a rough ride, and the two Huss Rides, Shuttle and Enterprise seem to have been around since at least the 80s (with a drawing of Nemoy's Spock from Star Trek TOS).
The 4D Motion Cinema was an interesting concept, but it has it's flaws in my opinion. The movie shown (Escape from Dragon Mines) was quite dark, and whenever they had flames shoot up you no longer saw the movie but the white screen. I think in the future these kinds of rides will integrate VR or AR Headsets for a better immersion into the experince.

I do have to admit, this was the first time in my life that I went on a "Big Coaster" with inversions. When I was a kid and teen I would always chicken out on those. So I'm glad I've finally gotten over my fear of them, and actually really enjoyed it.

I had lunch at the Park, and I must say as far as Amusement Park Food goes, it was quite decent. There are many different options: a main Self-Service Restaurant, a Self-Service Beerfest Tent, a Grill offering Brats, Steaks (pork) and Currywurst, a Creperie and a Pizza Place, as well as several different places where you can get Cold Drinks, Ice Cream and other Snacks.
Initially I wanted to go to the Beerfest Tent, but it was closed on that day, so I wound up going to the Main Restaurant and had a Frankonian Sauerbraten which was more than acceptable and gave it all a feeling of having something from the Region.
Half-liter bottles of Drinks in the Park were around €2.50-3.00 as I can't recall the exact price. More expensive than at the Supermarket, but nothing that would break the Bank.

The Woodland Area, Petting Zoo, Bird Cages and even a Barbary Monkey Area were all very interesting and made for a nice break from the Fun Fair feeling at the rides. Especially the Woodland Area was much cooler and since it was a fairly warm day that was quite pleasant.

The real highlight were the Shows, I went to all of them (well except the second showing of the Acquatics Show) and had a blast.

Around midway through the Afternoon I felt that the Park was getting quite empty, which was not necessarily bad, as now the wait time for all rides was pretty much non-existant and you could get on any ride almost instantly.

I spent about 45 minutes before leaving the Park on some loungers they had on a meadow, quite relaxing.
Left at around closing time 1800h.

Final considerations:
It's definitely not a Theme Park, as it doesn't have any overlying themes. It's more of a classic Luna Park Amusement Park. You can find many of the same rides at Travelling Fun Fairs, so it's sort of a Permanent Installation of one.
The Price is expensive when compared to similar Parks within 1 hour drive, but I guess if you compare it to riding all the rides at maybe the Nürnberger Volksfest or Munich Oktoberfest then the price is quite convenient.
Also it does seem a bit dated at some points.

If you're already in the area or want to take a break from the Autobahn, it might be worth considering a visit. They do seem to have offers of cheaper prices when you come in the Afternoon, and a reduced-price Family Day.
Though I wouldn't recommend planning a trip exclusively for the Park.

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank SaschaRai
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Travelled by car in almost 2 hours to get there from Frankfurt while highway A3 had some road constructions.
The park is not as huge as you expected but they have plenty of attractions to enjoy, live shows to watch and applaud to, have restaurants, ice cream booth, kids zoo, water parks. Probably you can finish all the activities in a day and it closed at 6 pm.
So much actions and had so much fun! With all the rides as long as you still can, 27.50 Euro worth it all! so happy ....

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

Perfect place to have fun with kids 14 and 8 . Plenty atractions. Almost no waiting time. Super. 4d movie not 5 stars. But summary is 5. Enjoy. We had pizza. Parking is free.

Date of experience: August 2016