“Now I have to go back to Arbois ;)”
Review of Maison Jeunet

Maison Jeunet
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Arbois
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Guardian has called it 'the best restaurant in France', and H��tel Jean-Paul Jeunet was voted 'Establishment of the Year 2006' by the prestigious restaurant guide Gault Millau ��� so its safe to say that the 2-Michelin-starred Restaurant Jean-Paul Jeunet in Arbois is a highly desirable dining destination. Tucked away in a far-flung corner of Jura, the restaurant is renowned for Jeunet's light, contemporary cuisine which is filled with flavours from yesteryear. Best known for using traditional ingredients in exceptional ways, Jeunet's signature dishes include foie gras poached in Macvin caramel; buttered snails cooked in liquorice flavoured bouillon; and warm chocolate soup flavoured with pine bark. The rustic dining room ��� decorated with colourful canvases and an open Franche-Comt�� fireplace - exudes an atmosphere of hushed awe, and this divine establishment is guaranteed to impress even the most spoiled gourmands.
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

My wife daughter and I visited Jean-Paul Jeunet's for a good French meal. We were not disappointed.

I have celiac and must eat gluten free. This was no problem for the chef or wait staff--who were the best. They helped us choose our dinners and drinks with great, friendly attitudes and seemed to enjoy it almost as much as we did!

Will now have to drive to Arbois (awesome little French country town) every time I am within 100 miles. I can't wait until next time...

Reviewed 16 August 2016

We usually visit Arbois once a year. Too bad that we did not discover Maison Jeunet earlier. But better late than never. Most times we try lunch in a restaurant we visit for the first time. We went on a Monday and were surprised to find the dining room almost full. From amuse bouch to dessert we loved everything and the stars are well deserved. The staff was very friendly. We will come back.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

Crossed over into France from Geneva, on back country roads - no destination in mind, no plan ... the R90s was loaded to the maximum with gear and the soon-to-be wife. As twilight came on, and the light rain dried up, we entered Arbois from 'the rear' on rural minor roads. Just needed a good nights sleep. We were extremely fortunate on our first try and checked into the Hotel Maison jeunet. The dinner was excellent; a very old-world dining room, and heavy velvets everywhere, but the menu was more than enough. Not too much to choose from, which I always take as a good sign. I don't want a chef who tries to put too much through the kitchen on any night. The local Vin Jaune was unknown to me, but we soon became friends. The meal finished with a good pudding trolley and to my delight a choice of outstanding Cognacs and Bas Armagnacs. This is one of the places / restaurants that my memory often drags me back to. A lovely evening, made all the better by being unplanned.

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

After having stayed two weeks in Italy, on the way back we decided to stop in Arbois and visit the restaurant of the Flemish chef, Steven Naessens. The Jura kitchen is one of my personal favourites, so I was looking forward to this.
The interior is very well done, modern and 'old' at the same time. Staff is variable, some are outstanding youngsters, others seem to be a bit annoyed of having to work so long days.. I would advise to dress them up a little bit more modern as well, it might make them more inspirational.
We chose e bottle of mature savagnin (2006). This was an excellent combination with at least one of the dishes (the escargots) but in itself it always surprises me how long these white wines of the Jura stay good..
About the food: first dish surprised through its freshness, mainly by the different forms of celery used. The second was the summum of the evening: escargots with some great herbs and crispy crusts. The fish was excellent and also the duck was fabulous, especially as it was combined with several variations of the meat.
In short: worth the detour? Depends how far, but if you like Jura wines and good food like we do, you might like it as well.
Total cost, incl. aperitif, coffee & brandy: 350€ (2 people).

Reviewed 21 May 2016

Since Februar 2016 a new couple has taken over the Hotel and Restaurant from the old owners. We have been going to the Hotel / restaurant for many years.

The interior has been redesigned and has a modern look. The reception is excellent and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms have not been changed. The menu contains an 8 course dinner which was nearly perfect and extremely creative and innovative. Only 1 course was not really great and also very salty. Keep up the great work.

The service in the restaurant is a little un-coordinated (everybody does everything for all the tables) and a "boss" (head waiter) in the restaurant is really missing. The restaurant staff seems to be under stress and when we compare it to the pass times we have been there, they have little time for some small talk and a joke. But still worth going!