All reviews black pearl fan bungalow great beach per night great escape we loved our stay tropical island beach towels buffet breakfast beach view nice resort silver sands samet island hot shower bars and restaurants white sand beach other resorts
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Staff
+ couple of friendly faces
- most seemed actively sullen
Breakfast
+ coffee was nice, egg station was good
- asian options bland, fruit juice too artificial
Accommodation:
+ mattress was comfy, shower was hot
- very basic
Restaurant
+ Massaman curry was really tasty
+ most food we tried was decent
Beach
+ clean and great sand
- way too busy for what we were after
- no sunloungers only deckchairs for rent
Price
- overpriced compared to what we saw elsewhere
WiFi
- 5 days without any WiFi (not helpful for planning + booking next part of the trip)

As the whole booking was charged to the card beforehand, we had to stay. Luckily we had motorbikes to venture elsewhere. Tasted some great real food and had whole beaches to ourselves. We saw much better value elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Perfect food, best service-staff we have EVER had in thailand and on it‘s islands. I can only recommend the whole resort and especially the chicken wings. Thanks to „Nit“ - the guy who made us feel at home and being welcome as FRIENDS. Thank you Nit and greetings to your lovely dog „Soda“ - we will come back to Koh Samet only because seeing you again will be a pure pleasure sawasdee kap my friend, greetings from oxana & tobi

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We arrived by speedboat (love that!) - so yes, we got wet getting out of the boat. No problem - we're here for a beach holiday! Staff helped carry my heavy case - easy check in (had booked and paid through Agoda) - then off to our deluxe bungalow (N zone). I really think it's worth paying a bit extra for these - just 4 in a row, big verandahs with sun loungers overlooking the bay. The bungalow was comfortable without being over the top - had air con, fridge, safe box, basic shower and toilet (separate), comfy bed with awesome view.

We stayed a week and had a wonderful relaxing time. No there's not a lot to do - so don't come here if that's what you want! We enjoyed lots of swimming (out to the pontoon) - and not many boats come in to fight with the swimmers - unlike Sai Kiew beach which was simply HORRIBLE! Nice massage ladies with beds in the shade on the beach, you can walk in either direction (although I recommend walking south which is jungle and more lovely bays - north is the vile Sai Kiew!!!!!). We ate at a couple of other places but mostly at Tubtim, because we didn't have a bad meal there and I didn't think the prices were exorbitant. And contrary to other reviews we got along really well with the staff - as I always say 'a smile costs nothing' and when you are nice to people they will usually be nice back. And you can get a good real coffee at the Black Pearl coffee bar right on the beach.

My only grumble would be that the area set up for breakfast (included with the price of our room) was a dark space at the back of the resort next to a mosquito infested pond. Breakfast was pretty average anyway so we ended up paying for it (next to nothing) so we could sit at the beach away from the mossies. By the last couple of days there were so few people there they moved the whole operation to the beach anyway.

It is a tropical island so you will need to spray for mossies around 5pm - but that's to be expected. Overall my partner says it was the best holiday he's ever had and I have to say we are both pretty chilled despite a long haul flight home. Tubtim is lucky to have one of the best positions on the island IMHO.

Room Tip: WE loved our deluxe bungalow (N zone)
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was so dark and there was no light outside. The facility was just acceptable coz only 1300bth for a night so what should I expect more. Besides this is the island so there are A LOT OF mosquitoes. A lot. They were so huge so you should bring lotion or some kind of medicine from the store in the resort. It was not near any 7/11, if you wanna go, take around 2 or 3 km of walking. Anyway the resort was just 6/10.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Boo B
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights/ 3 days. It is exactly what you think of when you think of a tropical island, turquoise sea, golden sand,palm trees. A beautiful place. The resort is one of the quieter ones.
We had a cabin next to the beach. We are a family of 6, myself, my partner, our children aged 19, 12, 8 & 6. Our cabin only had 2 double beds (which we knew when we booked) we took a single air bed for our 19 year old. Everyone else shared. The cabins are basic, but we could have had more if we'd been willing to pay more. It had a shower & toilet. A kettle & a mini fridge. They provided some bottled water & sachets of coffee.
The breakfast was nice. You had a choice of cereal, toast, eggs, sausages & a Thai breakfast. Hot drinks & juice.
It sounds strange but I'd recommend taking some vinegar as there are jelly fish in the sea, & vinegar helps if you get stung. It's only like a stinging nettle sting, no worse than that.
The restaurant is really nice & prices are good. There is a mini mart shop, plus shops selling local crafts, swim wear, a place to get a Thai massage. You can hire a motor bike to explore the island but you must have your passport to be able to do so.
I would recommend staying at tubtim, it's like paradise.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family