Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Lastingham Grange(Lastingham)
  • Restaurant
The Hawkhills(Easingwold)
1,482 results
All reviewsoutdoor poolfeversham armspoolside suitehot tubdeluxe suitepool sidesteam roomverbena sparelaxation areaheat experiencethe underground car parktreatment roomsroom wasn't readytasting menufood loversevening meala la carte
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I feel impelled to write this review because there were so many disappointments during our short, but very expensive stay.

For Fathers' Day we booked a Food Lovers' Package and chose to stay in a poolside suite with our two small children. We paid £500 for one night db&b, which is more than we've paid in some of the world's finest hotels. We have stayed at the hotel twice before though and love the facilities; particularly the pool and the spa.

Upon our arrival at the hotel, the lady on reception was cold and not welcoming at all. She did not smile once and this same point was observed by friends of ours who were also staying in the hotel.

Our suite wasn't ready (230pm) so we joined our friends in one of the lounges near the bar area. There was no-one at the bar for quite a while whilst I waited to order drinks. Even though several members of staff walked past (behind the bar), not once did any of them acknowledge my presence. Eventually I ordered and was told there was no draft beer becasue of a problem with the pumps.

By 2:45pm we managed to collar a member of staff to ask for our afternoon cream tea (this came as part of our package). We told him that one of us had a spa treatment booked at 330pm so we were tight for time. The scones arrived at 3.20pm but no tea.

We checked into our suite and decided to swim straight away. No bath robes.
The not so friendly lady on reception informed me that the tumble drier had broken down and that they would get robes as soon as they could. I had to ask again before the robes eventually arrived.

At the children's bedtime we noticed that the upper level of the suite, where our daughter was going to sleep, was very hot. After several attempts to switch on the aircon without success I decided to ring reception. The phone rang for a good few minutes with no answer. I decided to walk across to reception and ask for help. A member of staff arrived at our room a few minutes later, commented about how warm the room was and pressed a few buttons on the control box. She left shortly after saying that it wasn't working. That was that!

Before the children went to bed I rang reception again to order milk for their bedtime drink. Again the phone was unanswered at reception and again I had to pad across for assistance.

In the restaurant at dinner we had to ask for the champagne cocktails that were actually a part of our package - this felt uncomfortable (as though we were making sure that we got our freebies! - Freebies that were actually part of a £500 package).

Although the Feversham Arms is a lovely hotel in terms of facilities and appearance etc. it is greatly let down by the service to its guests. The staff seems to lack organisation and warmth. A few smiles and more attentive service for 5* prices is required. I feel that we certainly didn't get value for money during our stay.

On a more positive note, the food at dinner and at breakfast the following morning was tasty and nicely presented.

Our spa treatments were lovely too!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tripstay
Reviewed 26 June 2012

At £420 for a Spa suite on DB&B terms this hotel is asking top price and needs to deliver top service. Unfortunately it doesn't quite manage it. The check-in/welcome was poor but the room was spacious, quiet and clean (an unfortunate choice of bathroom tiles means the floor looks soiled but is in fact just marked). Dinner was well served but the food was no better than average (cheese trolley excepted which is excellent). However at breakfast next morning a 30 minute wait for 1 egg, 1 sausage and two slices of bacon is unacceptable. The heated outdoor pool is pleasant and I believe the Verbena Spa to be good.

Overall a pleasant experience but the price charged is not matched by the service.
As an aside, the Black Swan Hotel (4*) right in the middle of Helmsley provided a first class lunch, well and pleasantly served so, unless you really want the spa/pool, this might offer an alternative.
Whichever you choose Helmsley forms a pleasant and convenient base from which to visit some great areas - particularly Castle Howard and Fountains Abbey.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rover10
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Had a lovely day at the spa with a friend. We paid £100 for a special offer, which included use of the outdoor pool and hot tub, indoor heat experience- aromatherapy room, salt steam room, sauna, foot spa, experience shower and ice tub. The offer included an Elemis facial of 1hr 15 mins, back massage of 30 mins, one course lunch and ice tea and water throughout the day.
Overall good value. Beauty treatments were really good value and therapists were lovely. Mine was named Alexis and she was very professional, polite and conscientious. The young girl who served us lunch and helped with advice was very friendly and obliging.
Lunch was lovely, very tasty and well presented.
Spa environment was very relaxed and surroundings tastefully decorated.
Downside- aromatherapy room was not working during the morning, apologies were given when I pointed this out. The outdoor "heated" pool was cold. we only stayed in 5 minutes, other guests dipped their toes in and didnt bother! One guest stated they had been a month before and it had been warm.
The real downside was the fact that the spa had a special Elemis offer on display. It advertised buy two products and get a fee gift. My friend and I deliberated as the products are expensive, but we decided they were worth it. We went to the counter and then Lyndsey tried to find the gifts. She was very lovely and helpful but couldnt find the gifts. She enlisted help and still no gifts. We were told we could have the one on display and a different one. I explained that because alot of the tester products were empty on the shelf, other guests, like myself were likely to have opened the display set to try. As we had waited now over half an hour Lyndsey said she would ask her manager if she could substitute something else. After a further 15 min wait we were told by Kayleigh that there were no other substitutes and as she was the assistant manager that was final!
Oh and showers in the changing room were in need of updating.
Lovely day, would have said excellent value had the downsides not occurred.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank melita8
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I may well be just getting picky in my old age, but in my opinion there are things not quite up to my standard here for the price paid.
This review is going to be as fair as possible, but will include negatives as well as positives.

I have had my eye on here for a while and often cruise the hotels web site for deals.
Spotted a deal for one nights dinner, bed and breakfast at for the top grade room at £309, so booked it.
For this you get £45 per head towards your food and your breakfast, no drinks apart from the breakfast style drinks are included.

On arrival no one came to help us with our luggage when we pulled up.
We checked in easily enough and were shown to our room.
We can manage our own bags of course but the usual custom of a hotel which charges this much is for them to automatically take them off you......

We were shown to our suite, and to be quite honest I was a tad disappointed when I first walked in.
Nice enough bathroom, a large bath big enough for two, but very slippy!
Top notch toiletries are provided.
The towels are just not good enough though, again for a place like this.
Mine were going on the thin side.
The dressing gowns need upgrading as well.
The bedroom area is good, nice comfy bed, the linen on it was quite creased though, just natural folding but it did not look impressive to my eye....yes I know I am being picky, but then again you never get that at Rudding Park!
The lounge area was what I was actually disappointed in.
It was small and cramped.
The flowers in the vase were well past their sell by date and the petals kept dropping.
Some sort of advertising card by them was there to read, it had stains on it.
It was not as clean as it should of been in my opinion, not bad but not 5 star.
The TV was tiny in the lounge, but way better in the bedroom.

I asked for a ice bucket for the champers we had fetched with us.
I was informed they have a corkage charge of £10, so basically I had to pay for a bucket of ice!
Not impressed at all by that.
I have NEVER EVER had that happen in any hotel I have ever stayed in.
Bad touch.

Right on to the positives.
Downstairs for the food.
Nice sitting areas before you go in to dine, relaxing comfy seats.
We went to the bar and ordered our drinks, sat down and were given menus.
A 10 course taster menu and a menu of about 5 of each choices for a 3 course meal at £45 per person.
The food is brilliant, just brilliant.
Some of the best food EVER to be honest.
The staff here are very informed on what they are serving, and they serve it well.
Tips are equally shared out as well.
Very happy with the evening meal and the service, 5 stars in all departments.
Brilliant friendly staff.

Back to the room, we had a good nights sleep, the bed was spot on, no problems at all.
Down to breakfast the next day, they finish serving there at 9.30am.
This was one big let down for both of us.
We wanted a full English breakfast and toast and that alone, we did not go for the fruit, cereals, pasties etc and we just fancied a good breakfast that would set us for the day.
It did not!
On my plate was one small sausage, one poached egg, half a tomato, 2 very thin slices of bacon, one mushroom and that was it.
My husband had a slice of eggy bread on his, for some reason I did not!
It looked pathetic on the large plate it came on.
If I had served that up at home as a full breakfast my family would think they had been out on major diets!
I asked for my toast to be served with the breakfast, in the end I had to ask for it, and was given it when I had two mouthfuls of food left and it was cold.
The service was just not good enough, such a same as well as the night before they were spot on.
We were not asked if we wanted more hot drinks at any time.
The breakfast menu was on the table, it was old looking and had stains on it, it is little details like this that need sorting out.

I was disappointed really.
I had expected it all to be perfect and top notch.
It is top notch prices, but it needs attention to details in certain areas.
Not sure if they need more staff or what at times possibly.
They need to pay a deeper attention to dusting as well, just little areas are not spot on.

I will return for an evening meal.
I will not pay that price again for a room what I feel was not good enough for price paid.
I will mention Rudding Park again as they have it all spot on, damn near perfect actually, and a far less price.
A pair of fresh eyes are needed possibly to go through the place to fine-tune it.

I wish them well.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank whatnamecaniuse
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We recently stayed here for one night dinner, bed and breakfast after a trip abroad couldn't be taken. What a treat it was. The hotel is beautiful and well presented, staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are amazing. We were upgraded to a pool side suite which had a huge maste bedroom with a very large and comfy bed with a brilliant bang and oulsen tv and sound system, iPod dock, wifi and a DVD library. The bathroom was just as big with a huge roll top bath and walk in shower with lovely little touches such as candles and lovely bubble bath. We also had a cute separate sitting room with a tv and a separate single room for our three year old. We had a patio with furniture and lots of little extras which made you feel in the heights of luxury. Our three year old loved the pool which was very pretty and as we had good weather, it honestly felt like we were abroad. The spa was very nice too and the staff were equally as friendly and helpful there. Our bathrobes were the softest and snuggliest I have ever worn... Wanted to keep them. Breakfast in the room was such a treat and totally delicious. Dinner on an evening was delicious although on the expensive side at £45 per head without drinks. Staff here were very professional and friendly. The setting is really picturesque. The children's menu is very good and very reasonable and children are fussed over and made to feel very welcome which delighted our son. He had dippy eggs and ice cream. Although this hotel is on the expensive side it is so worth the money. We had such a lovely stay and it out the smiles back on our faces. Very romantic and family friendly. I'm saving my pennies for a return visit. The best hotel we have stayed in and a total hit with our toddler. Thank you to the staff

Room Tip: Pool side suite no. 21 was fantastic And very family friendly
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family