New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Helmsley
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Good, but not as good as I thought it would be.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I may well be just getting picky in my old age, but in my opinion there are things not quite up to my standard here for the price paid.
This review is going to be as fair as possible, but will include negatives as well as positives.

I have had my eye on here for a while and often cruise the hotels web site for deals.
Spotted a deal for one nights dinner, bed and breakfast at for the top grade room at £309, so booked it.
For this you get £45 per head towards your food and your breakfast, no drinks apart from the breakfast style drinks are included.

On arrival no one came to help us with our luggage when we pulled up.
We checked in easily enough and were shown to our room.
We can manage our own bags of course but the usual custom of a hotel which charges this much is for them to automatically take them off you......

We were shown to our suite, and to be quite honest I was a tad disappointed when I first walked in.
Nice enough bathroom, a large bath big enough for two, but very slippy!
Top notch toiletries are provided.
The towels are just not good enough though, again for a place like this.
Mine were going on the thin side.
The dressing gowns need upgrading as well.
The bedroom area is good, nice comfy bed, the linen on it was quite creased though, just natural folding but it did not look impressive to my eye....yes I know I am being picky, but then again you never get that at Rudding Park!
The lounge area was what I was actually disappointed in.
It was small and cramped.
The flowers in the vase were well past their sell by date and the petals kept dropping.
Some sort of advertising card by them was there to read, it had stains on it.
It was not as clean as it should of been in my opinion, not bad but not 5 star.
The TV was tiny in the lounge, but way better in the bedroom.

I asked for a ice bucket for the champers we had fetched with us.
I was informed they have a corkage charge of £10, so basically I had to pay for a bucket of ice!
Not impressed at all by that.
I have NEVER EVER had that happen in any hotel I have ever stayed in.
Bad touch.

Right on to the positives.
Downstairs for the food.
Nice sitting areas before you go in to dine, relaxing comfy seats.
We went to the bar and ordered our drinks, sat down and were given menus.
A 10 course taster menu and a menu of about 5 of each choices for a 3 course meal at £45 per person.
The food is brilliant, just brilliant.
Some of the best food EVER to be honest.
The staff here are very informed on what they are serving, and they serve it well.
Tips are equally shared out as well.
Very happy with the evening meal and the service, 5 stars in all departments.
Brilliant friendly staff.

Back to the room, we had a good nights sleep, the bed was spot on, no problems at all.
Down to breakfast the next day, they finish serving there at 9.30am.
This was one big let down for both of us.
We wanted a full English breakfast and toast and that alone, we did not go for the fruit, cereals, pasties etc and we just fancied a good breakfast that would set us for the day.
It did not!
On my plate was one small sausage, one poached egg, half a tomato, 2 very thin slices of bacon, one mushroom and that was it.
My husband had a slice of eggy bread on his, for some reason I did not!
It looked pathetic on the large plate it came on.
If I had served that up at home as a full breakfast my family would think they had been out on major diets!
I asked for my toast to be served with the breakfast, in the end I had to ask for it, and was given it when I had two mouthfuls of food left and it was cold.
The service was just not good enough, such a same as well as the night before they were spot on.
We were not asked if we wanted more hot drinks at any time.
The breakfast menu was on the table, it was old looking and had stains on it, it is little details like this that need sorting out.

I was disappointed really.
I had expected it all to be perfect and top notch.
It is top notch prices, but it needs attention to details in certain areas.
Not sure if they need more staff or what at times possibly.
They need to pay a deeper attention to dusting as well, just little areas are not spot on.

I will return for an evening meal.
I will not pay that price again for a room what I feel was not good enough for price paid.
I will mention Rudding Park again as they have it all spot on, damn near perfect actually, and a far less price.
A pair of fresh eyes are needed possibly to go through the place to fine-tune it.

I wish them well.

5 Thank whatnamecaniuse
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We recently stayed here for one night dinner, bed and breakfast after a trip abroad couldn't be taken. What a treat it was. The hotel is beautiful and well presented, staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are amazing. We were upgraded to a pool side suite which had a huge maste bedroom with a very large and comfy bed with a brilliant bang and oulsen tv and sound system, iPod dock, wifi and a DVD library. The bathroom was just as big with a huge roll top bath and walk in shower with lovely little touches such as candles and lovely bubble bath. We also had a cute separate sitting room with a tv and a separate single room for our three year old. We had a patio with furniture and lots of little extras which made you feel in the heights of luxury. Our three year old loved the pool which was very pretty and as we had good weather, it honestly felt like we were abroad. The spa was very nice too and the staff were equally as friendly and helpful there. Our bathrobes were the softest and snuggliest I have ever worn... Wanted to keep them. Breakfast in the room was such a treat and totally delicious. Dinner on an evening was delicious although on the expensive side at £45 per head without drinks. Staff here were very professional and friendly. The setting is really picturesque. The children's menu is very good and very reasonable and children are fussed over and made to feel very welcome which delighted our son. He had dippy eggs and ice cream. Although this hotel is on the expensive side it is so worth the money. We had such a lovely stay and it out the smiles back on our faces. Very romantic and family friendly. I'm saving my pennies for a return visit. The best hotel we have stayed in and a total hit with our toddler. Thank you to the staff

Room Tip: Pool side suite no. 21 was fantastic And very family friendly
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank gemtur
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

First the good news; dinner was very good (tasting menu with excellent wines) and restaurant staff very attentive. Breakfast in room was also delicious.

On the other hand: room (poolside suite) very tired and shabby, especially bathroom (stained,loose tiles,taps wobbly); the most tired, frayed bathrobes I have ever seen, hot tub with unpleasant scum on surface...oh yes, and a leak from the room above, for the considerable inconvenience of which we were offered (despite asking), erm... nothing.

Interesting to note that the previous owners sold up and moved on some time last year. Not at all clear that those in charge now understand how to run a good hotel let alone one with four red stars.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sd17_12
chester le street
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the early May bank holiday for 1 night dinner bed and breakfast, we booked a poolside suite which was lovely it had a wood burning fire in the lounge area and a small outside patio which would be nice in the summer, as it was early May we never used the patio or the pool but some did. The room was nice and bed comfortable the bathroom was good too with a separate shower, also the l'occitane toiletries were a nice touch.

The restaurant was good we had the a la carte menu with 2 other guests who were not staying at the hotel, my only gripe with the restaurant was that as we were finishing off our wine at the end of the meal we were asked to leave the restaurant and go to the bar so they could set up for breakfast, the bar was busy so we went to our room to finish our drinks there this is not good practice in my mind.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice

I had a manicure at the salon that was ok but very highly priced for what you get also I don't think that painting nails across a treatment bed is the right way either, I have manicures at home and never had that at all, very strange.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bagbuddies
Cheshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

This would have been a truly lovely hotel when it opened, but now it is very tired, the carpets mostly being cream are dirty and not at all welcoming the room that we had (a suite) had everything you could want overlooking the pool, but the throw on the bed had stains on it (can't guess what they were but not nice at all) a small pot of biscuits that were meant for us had been part eaten, and a tea stain on the bath side, would we use this hotel again NO.
We paid £280 for B & B and evening meal and the food was OK not the best we have ever had, but they had tried but for what we paid, not good enough the local chippy had better food.
The restaurants manager Steven was very nice and helpful.
Sometimes all that glitters is not gold!!

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room complain, on hind sight we should have!!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pauljan9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
0.1 km away
0.2 km away
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 5 in Helmsley

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK