“Great evening”

The Colosseum
Ranked #11 of 84 Restaurants in Teignmouth
Price range: US$ 23 - US$ 92
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

We left it late to find a table for a Saturday night only booking on Thursday evening, because of this we were only able to take an early table at 6 or a late one at 9. We chose to take the 6 slot. Despite the early time the atmosphere in the coloseum was lovely and vibrant, it is a small restaurant with an intimate atmosphere. We had a lovely welcome from the owner and there were ample waiters/ waitresses all of whom were polite and friendly. The menu had a great range of pasta dishes, meat, fish and vegetarian options and shortly after being seated the owner went through all the specials with us. The food was fantastic, we had deep fried mozzarella on tomato and bruschetta to start, my fiance had a pizza which looked fantastic and I had tagliatelle with shellfish for our mains. The shellfish were obviously fresh and local, the mussels were the best I've ever had. We had a bottle of house red which even at the cheapest price on the menu tasted great and finished off by sharing a chocolate souffle which was light and gooey in the middle. Overall the experience was on the pricey side but 100% worth it for amazing food and great dining experience. Would definitely recommend this place to anybody.

2  Thank Dave M

Reviewed 15 May 2016

We were squeezed in as having just arrived in Teignmouth we were unable to book anywhere for dinner, and the staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful. However, the food was a bit of a let down, our starters of Carpaccio were so drenched in a lemon oil, you could not really taste the star of the plate, the beef and it was tricky to eat as it was impossible not to end up with oil running down your chin. We both had a pizza to follow, which were ok but mine was very oily (again) and my husbands was very dry.

1  Thank UKholslover
Reviewed 9 May 2016

Firstly, I cannot recommend the Colosseum enough! There was not one fault. I was treated to a meal here for my birthday, and straight away we were greeted by friendly staff who had specially prepared a birthday table for me. The food was incredible and very high quality - well worth the money. The deserts were especially good, I had the gelato Franco, which is an old family recipe of the chef - the best ice cream I've ever had. My friend had the chocolate soufflé - which was delicious! The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, there was a live musician which simply added to the warm ambiance. The staff were very friendly and efficient, and knew the menu very well, meeting our every need. A completely faultless restaurant. Highly recommend and have already booked my next table!

1  Thank redrobyn110
Reviewed 8 May 2016

We had chosen The Colloseum to celebrate my partner's birthday. On booking a table for two for Saturday, I had been asked whether it was for a celebration.

On arrival at this quite small restaurant I must admit my heart sank a little when we were seated quite close to a party of nine, including 5 children. During the next hour or so they were noisy but perhaps not excessively so. However, what what more off-puting, was that, when a table of 4 took their seats next to ours, and we were packed in quite closely, they immediately started talking over our heads to the table of 6 the other side of us! Fortunately this rude behaviour ceased quite soon just as I was on the point of complaining, although it did start up again for a time as the table of 6 got up to leave. The table layout could perhaps have been given more consideration by the restaurant beforehand because that kind of thing does affect the dining experience in what is an expensive restaurant.

I could not fault the quality of the food, and there was no problem about providing me with a gluten-free pasta dish. However, the pasta, was perhaps a little too al dente for some tastes. What wine was on offer was on the pricey side and glasses of wine, at £9 even for 250 ml, with no option of having a smaller glass, was about the most expensive I have come across.

After finishing our main course, I asked for the dessert menu. Five minutes later, I asked another waiter and she told me that all the menus were being used! I waited another five minutes, and asked for the bill. At that point the second waitress said she could tell me what the sweets were, but I declined her offer. As the bill did not arrive straightaway, I went to the counter to pay. At that point the manager said, 'Oh, it's the birthday of one of you!' and offered a complimentary drink, which my partner and I declined. The six items I paid for came to £63, without desserts or coffee.

This was not a particularly pleasant restaurant experience. My partner, whose back was to her aisle, was having her chair knocked fairly constantly, by the waiting staff mainly. The height of the chairs at our table were lower than those at the tables either side of ours, and this added to a sensation of being a somewhat overwhelmed much of the time. It was hard to focus either on the food or on our own conversation. The restaurant, when I had booked, had asked us why we were visiting, and had then overlooked this until we were on the point of leaving!

The upshot is I would only consider going again as part of a larger group.

6  Thank RobinB989
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

Wonderful experience from start to finish. Lizzie was a delightful hostess gently advising on the various 'off menu' options. The food was sublime and of such high quality and freshness we felt it was going to be one we would recall years from now. The guitarist was very talented and we were also entertained with a film shoot being rehearsed on the premises. Great fun!

1  Thank Fieldegp