All reviews vista grill happy hour pool bar pool side tv remote sun terrace onsite supermarket shopping centre weeks break euro deposit great week these apartments lifeguard on duty nice balcony enjoyable stay a lovely stay per week
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Got a great price for 1 wk so booked it, due to cost we paid I wasn’t expecting much. So to arrive to find out pool bar and restaurant wAs closed was annoying however we were like look we’re on holiday just enjoy.
Also supermarket closed at 2 every day again was bit of a pain.
Some evenings no hot water to shower.
So first night I was going to Phone travel agent to get moved but we thought we will give it day. Glad we did as we really enjoyed our holiday here staff so nice and friendly. Crossed to montebello for breakfast on days we didn’t fancy an early stroll down town. Stocked up on cokes beers crisps from supermarket down the town. I would go back here but nxt time I’d ensure all amentites are open.
We had a lovely relaxing week.
Now I had just come back from a holiday in the states and we are going to states again end of year so maybe I’d have a different story if this was my annual holiday.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank juden413
Reviewed 2 June 2018

This was my fourth visit to Puerto Rico (the first week of May), the three previous being 20 years or more ago, and it was the first time I've had accommodation with a sea view. Given the mountainous state of the resort, this is actually something of a nice bonus.

The accommodation itself could probably use a little updating, but it was clean, comfortable and perfect for a lone traveller, though it might be a little pushed to comfortably sleep 3 people, as it claims. There is an on-site supermarket while, not massively stocked, is handy for quick provisions at short notice, and the pool area has plenty of sun beds and is quite the sun trap. There is also an open-air bar that I didn't use, as the opening times seemed a little erratic. Most importantly, for those who are travelling with little ones, the pool area is constantly manned by a lifeguard, which gives an added feeling of safety.

Some things to bear in mind if considering this as your resort and accommodation of choice:

The complex is huge, split-level and branches out far from your check-in at reception. There are a number of lifts, but be ready for quite the walk to your apartment, depended on which block you are allocated. Like most apartment complexes in Puerto Rico, it is in quite a hilly area and should be disregarded if you have any mobility problems. Also, your pick-up and drop-off points can differ: on departure, you will always be picked up on the main road - ask the receptionist for directions if you aren't sure how to get there.

The Puerta Plata has a lot in its favour: the staff - every one of them - are absolutely fantastic and won't hesitate to help you with whatever you need. They all speak very good English, so don't worry if your Spanish isn't up to scratch. It's a very friendly place, and actually not too far from the main centre of Puerto Rico, or the beach. Kettle, toaster and microwave are all there, which often have to be paid for as extras. And while the rooms might show a few small signs of wear and tear - which is bound to be apparent, given the high throughput of tourists - they are clean and secure. And this was the first time ever on any holiday abroad I've actually felt compelled to thank the staff for having me as a guest and shook their hands :)

There are, though, two things you should be made aware of before making a final decision on your holiday destination, neither of which have any bearing at all on the accommodation. Firstly, I was shocked by the prevalence of drug dealers: every time I ventured to the main centre, I was constantly approached and asked if I 'needed anything', or outright 'do you want some hashish?' This became so bad, I ended up staying away from the main centre altogether, even during the day. Either drugs are now legal in Puerto Rico, or the dealers don't care about possible consequences of being caught because they are so brazen and persistent.

Secondly, as any visitor to the Canary Islands already knows, electronics can be bought very cheaply. If you choose to buy anything, pay cash in full immediately: I was told I could make up the shortfall by returning 2 hours before I was due to leave for the airport to come home, and that they also needed my passport and flight details for 'insurance purposes'. Maybe it was genuine, but DO NOT hand over your travel documents to anyone, much less a shopkeeper! With a deal half-completed before I finally clicked, they plagued me with phone calls and even came to my apartment block to find me just before I left to come home! Probably better to steer clear...

If you can put up with the downside of what was once a fantastic resort, expect to have a decent stay at the Puerta Plata apartments :)

Room Tip: Ask for a block close to the pool area, and therefore the exit into town and the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank _craigmcnish7
Reviewed 21 May 2018

This was our 2nd stay at Puerto Plata. The apartments are what you pay for but are kept very clean. I loved staying here in September 2017, hence why we booked again.Bed linen changed 5 times during our stay so I can't complain about the actual cleaning service or the apartments in any way. What we weren't told was that 'ALL' the Pool Bars would be closed most of our holidays and also that renovations of the lower sun lounge area began during our stay. But I'm aware that renovations must take place at some stage!

Firstly, we arrived on 3rd May and we were told by other people on holidays that the 'lower bar' just decided to close on 2nd May for one month. The Terrace Bar (upstairs) was opened until Monday 6th May and closed it's doors until early September 2018 so if anyone is staying here in May-Sept you will have a very quiet holiday. The Monte Bello apartments are next door and the bar/food served until 5.00 pm each day.

We were not aware of the renovations until someone at the pool told us that 'drilling' would take place the next day. We received a letter from our holiday company - Love Holidays the day after the drilling began! Not good enough. The hotel did offer us to move to a different apartment but it would't have made any difference if you stayed at the pool as everyone could hear the drilling! It did spoil our holiday and we were very disappointed as we were not informed of bar closures or renovations! Also you have to pay for wifi at a cost of €25 per week! Very disappointed that the restaurant was also closed. Sign posted on the doors stated - closed 23rd April 2018. It states on the information about these apartments,, i.e., information from hotel and every website I searched before booking that the supermarket is open from 9.00am - 6.00 pm. This is not the case. Opening hours for the supermarket is 9.00am - 2.00 pm. Handy for water but can be a bit expensive. Hypo Dino & Spar supermarkets in Puerto Rico much cheaper.

Room Tip: Rooms at Block C and Block A have a pool/sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina M
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

When we chose this hotel online the photos looked nice and the amenities were listed as “gastronomic delight” restaurant, supermarket and a night club & bar. When we checked in we were told, because of building work being carried out, the restaurant, shop and bar were closed for the duration: but they gave us free WiFi as compensation. The website also stated the beach was a “5 minute stroll”. The beach was in fact a good 15 mins away and involved a trek down and back up 8 flights of concrete steps and a very steep winding slope. Considering the heat, I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone anything less than fit! Final straw, the 2nd day we were there - the hot water packed up so we had to endure cold showers. Safe to say we won’t be going back.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank noleenw2018
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Stayed here from 28th April for 9 nights with partner and our 9 month old baby. Rooms are on many levels accessible by a variety of entries and 2 lifts.

This Hotel is not ideal if you have a pram as lifts are small and from the hotel entries you cannot comfortably get to them. Hotel has 2 official entries; one at the top of the Av Cornisa and one at Pool level. (1 off road level has a big set of stairs and official entry from pool level has a small set of steps and other official entry at level 300 has small set of steps to get into the building). Also, there's no parking for guests other than off road. (Some apartments are owned and there's parking at the top for those only behind a barrier).

The first room we were in on 100 level did not have working WiFI so we got moved to the highest 300 level on day 2. This had a secure balcony (whereas surrounding rooms at 100 did not have private outside seating) with nice views. Seemed a slight grade up from the other room but only by a smidgen (i.e. this one had a microwave).

Reception staff were a mixed bunch from extremely helpful to not helpful whatsoever. Cleaners were always great and friendly as were all pool guards. The on-site shop was HUGE but pricey in comparison to a Hyperdino or Spar. We did not try the restaurant nor bar here but could hear the evening entertainment from our balcony.

You get aplenty towels replaced daily apart from Thursdays, small soap bar, 2 pots of body lotion and shower-gel, a kitchen sponge and a tea-towel and that's it.
Cleaners do not work on Thursdays.

We paid just over €35 per night. €20 for WiFi for 7 days which gets you 1 device - and for 8 days we paid €26 for a safe-key and got €10 deposit back on this.

At our 300 appt I had accidentally left some drips from milk on the sink surface and tiny little ant-like creatures were feasting on it after a few hours. They have open bins though underneath the sink which become quite smelly after a day of heat too. The rest of the appt was absolutely spotless though and kept very clean.
The kitchen unit is very basic; 2 electric hobs of the same size and the most basic of kitchen items you need with little preparation surface. Beds were uncomfortable to the point of morning back-ache although the baby cot they offered was spacious and great. I guess for the price it was OK and a typical 2-star (you get what you pay for) but I don't think we will be staying here again.

We had the pleasure of running into a great mix of nationalities here from Irish to some British to Dutch, Scandinavians and German guests.

To walk into Puerto Rico centre from the hotel would be an approx 15 mins steep downhill walk or a 3 mins drive but nowhere to park other than a 5-10 mins walk away.

At one point I ran out of Aptamil Formula 2 follow-on milk and asked the staff who kindly advised me to visit a pharmacy in Puerto Rico where they sold all Aptamil powdered milk for €22. Glad they did as I hadn't thought of finding it in a pharmacy!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family