The Altamar is bitter sweet / some good some bad Not an horrendous holiday and for the price worth it. Room was excellent but we did have a double balcony one of the biggest in the complex with no neighbours two minutes walk from the pool and restaurant so didnt need to use lifts to get back to our room. This actually made the holiday as you needed to get up at 7.00 in the morning to get a sunbed even though you were not allowed to reserve them no-one took any notice. Luckily we didnt need to bother. If you had a room where you were further up the hill you would have had to get a sunbed near the pool. Other reviews have complained about the lifts - for me they were quirky - a funicular with windows that as you went up the hill had the most gorgeous view. Ten times better than a small enclosed claustrophic lift. The food was actually excellent we went for two weeks so yes could get a bit samey but the quality was just as good as a restaurant. Freshly cooked meats and fish, fresh salad, rice and pasta. It didnt taste like school dinners like some all inclusive. My only complaint was some of the jobsworth waiters (not all of them). At lunch and dinner times I wanted a wine glass with my meal rather than a plastic glass that I agree shoudnt be used near the pool. They had a shelf near the wine barrel where you served your own wine which had glasses on that at meal times I used to take a glass to pour my wine. Not really impressed that I was told on numerous occasions that all inclusive guests couldnt use the glasses these were only for a la carte guests. I am a respectful wife and mother of a teenager not a rowdy club 18-30 holidayer. I still paid over £2,000 for my holiday not really too much to ask for a wine glass at dinner rather than a plastic cup was it ;(. Saying that some waiters actually handed them to you - it depended on who was on. The entertainment was very mediocre. It was all aimed at children until 10.00pm. When you have sat down for your meal at 8.00 you dont really want to sit watching kids skipping to malcolm mclaren or sitting on the dance floor doing organised painting for two hours whilst you wait for the cabaret to come on. I have a teenager who i took on holiday as a child but they used to do the kids separately and still have entertainment for adults - too much kids entertainment before 10.00pm. We gave up some nights and went to the Europa Centre which had an excellent bar called Barbacoa. altogether i enjoyed my holiday i wouldnt advise anyone not to go as it wasnt horrendous but as already advised needed a few improvements
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This emblematic Hotel is located on the high area of Puerto Rico Gran Canaria, its offers 257 fully rebuilt Apartments with wide terrace and impressive views to the see. We also offer a great variety of services and great equipmentfor all kind of guest (families, couples, groups, etc...). All you may require to enjoy and unforgettable holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Altamar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Altamar Aparthotel Hotel Puerto Rico
- Hotel Altamar Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria