“Relaxing Escape”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia
“Relaxing Escape”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I spent a week in the honeymoon suite bungalow at La Cusinga and had a wonderful experience. The setting is incredible, nestled on a hill overlooking the ocean. The food was delicious, each meal better than the next (especially the banana ice cream and the lunches, which were fabulous - the best chicken quesadilla I've ever eaten!) . And the staff was amazing, attentive to detail, warm and friendly. There are trails to hike, and beautiful yoga platform, and my favorite, the magical freshwater swimming hole, where we went to cool off almost every afternoon in between surfing lessons and yoga with the Bodhi Surf School. The property is a private nature reserve, and we were not disappointed with the wildlife - beautiful birds, white-faced and howler monkeys, frogs of all kinds, etc. There is no air conditioning, which took a day to adjust to, but then wasn't a problem in the bungalow with the ceiling fan and an extra fan available upon request. There is no TV or internet in the bungalows, but there is a wifi hotspot up near the restaurant which was more than adequate. It was a truly relaxing escape into nature and we were sad to have to leave at the end of the week.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
506-2770-2549, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you for your review! To take a few minutes to help others learn more about us, it is a kind act! We are glad that you had a good week with us! We love it when people that visit us for a day or two enjoy our place, but more so if you are here with us for a longer time. The Swimming hole is divine in a hot afternoon or after a day at the beach! Thank you again for your kindness and we look forward to your next visit!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
Paris
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed there for a few days in april 2012 and I loved it!!
The highlights of this hotel : the private reserve and the paths where you can spot animals (I spotted monkeys, coatis, toucans, agutis, monarchs), the rooms from which the view is very nice, the food, the adorable employees.
One thing you should know though, the hotel has no bar, and you may want to bring snacks with you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Pura Vida! Thank you for your review and your visit! I am glad you enjoyed it, we had been protecting our place for more than 40 years and the result is that we are one with nature, and you where part of it! Yes we do not have alcohol as we do not have a license, nor do we have soda drinks as we try to be a natural place... but you are always welcome to bring your own and place it in our public fridge. Muchas gracias and look forward to your next visit!
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We spent two days at Cusinga Lodge and enjoyed it very much. Excellent food, cosy rooms with a wonderful view on the ocean, great sunsets and a very helpful staff. A stay at La Cusinga Eco Lodge is a MUST!!! Thanks for all.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Easygo52 thank you for your visit and for your review!!! Love the photos that you added!!! To me each sunset here, after 40 years, is as amazing and the day before! I also love waking up early to see the Dawn. Thank you again!!!
Marshfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My teen son and I stayed 3 nights in La Cusinga in April. and we LOVED it. We loved the hike to the beach and loved our room ( Gamela 2) with our own little porch, lawn and view of the sea. The meals were healthy, interesting and well prepared. The hike to the usually deserted beach was tough but well worth it. Lovely yoga platform, flowering plants, winding walkways.
Great place for someone who enjoys exploring nature in an artistic-simple but stylish setting. Reasonable cost. Loved the sound of the howler monkeys and seeing several cusingas in the trees each evening. The staff is kind, helpful, and unobtrusive. TIp: bring your own beer and snacks if you want refreshments between meals. Nearby highly recommended activities include surf lessons ,horseback riding to waterfall, and zip lining. Overall, I prefer Uvita over Dominical for family.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Gracias for your visit and more so for taking your time to give us a feedback! We see that people are looking for snacks between meals, we will work on adding those as part of our restaurant service for the near future. To me the best part of these feed backs is that we can improve. We do look forward to your next visit and we hope that we can have our snack menu ready for you! :o) Pura Vida!
Kotzebue, Alaska
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at La Cusinga because we bid on the trip at an auction. I researched the place AFTER making the reservations! We stayed 8 nights. I am getting a little sentimental just writing about it. The staff was so sweet and took care of us so well. They loved my husband, who is still at the "buenos nachos" (instead of beunos noches) phase of learning Spanish.They found me a doctor when I went deaf from an ear infection, they took photos of wildlife to show us later if we weren't on site to see ourselves. We sat with some new friends at dinner our last evening and caught ourselves just gazing into the night jungle, feeling as though we were about to leave home. I cannot say enough positive comments about the staff at La Cusinga. Gracias por el helado, Dennis!
I'd like to address some of the comments I came across while researching the lodge. Yes, the paths are stone in places, and there are steps. Please see my attached photos to understand the difficulty (not so difficult). We arrived in the dark after a very stressful drive from San Jose and were a little wobbly the first night. (Nuilyn stayed up until 11:00 p.m. to greet us! Gracias!) In the morning there was no problem with paths and stairs. Just be aware that this is a beautiful hillside property. You're going to walk up and down the hill! In Costa Rica we found that almost everything is "10 minutes." My husband started asking "10 minutes Costa Rica time?" The beach is longer than ten minutes and is down a steep path. I found myself thinking about folks with joint replacements (my husband an I are no spring chickens...). The next day I met a man with a new hip who said it was no problem, just longer than "10 minutes." The rooms are paradisiacal. Wood floors, stone showers, screens without holes and ocean view balconies with a comfortable rocking chair and bench. We loved that there were no panes in the windows. It felt like being an explorer, but in complete luxury. The call of the cicadas got a little annoying at times, but the howler monkeys were fabulous! We had activities planned for almost every day. The staff made sure we had breakfast ready before the usual time and that we were ready for our shuttle or had a map to get where we were going. Olga made us the best peanut butter and jelly sandwich ever. Seriously. We felt a little like chicks with mother hens taking care of us. For my first visit out of North America this was fine with me! The best times of our trip, though, were spent at la poza - the swimming hole. We went almost every day. We saw a variety of lizards, chachalacas, white faced monkeys, little fishes... all from the cool clear waters of our private natural pool. If I find myself in need of a getaway, I will go back to La Cusinga, but next time I won't spend so much time leaving for tours and adventures. Sitting on the hilltop, open air veranda, sipping tamarind or starfruit juice, gazing at the ocean while the frigate birds soar and the toucans pose...

Room Tip: La Paloma feels private and has a great view.