“Amazing Surf Instructor” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bodhi Surf School
Ranked #1 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bodhi Surf School focuses on community engaged yoga and surf vacations and retreats for individuals, couples, families, and small groups. Our goal is to teach you the theory, proper technique, and safety to have you surfing or doing yoga independently. At the Bodhi Shamabala Yoga Center, we have weekly Vinyasa Flow classes and also offer private yoga classes. Bodhi Surf is committed to incorporating sustainable business practices into our everyday operations. We love to share information on our area, both on the community of Bahia Ballena and the Marino Ballena National Park where we give our surf lessons and clinics. We also offer service learning for organized student groups interested in finding out more about Costa Rica. Above all, we aim to "awaken your inner surfer" and provide you with unique experiences that you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing Surf Instructor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I had a one on one beginner surf lesson through Bodhi Surf which ere recommended by TikiVillas and although the two hour class was expensive, it was well worth it. The instructor was friendly, approachable and extremely patient and encouraging. I loved my first surf experience and can't wait to get better. Thanks, Bodhi Surf!

Visited April 2012
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Anonymous_31NJH - Thank you for your kind words about Bodhi Surf! We're glad you enjoyed your private surf lesson and that you felt you got your money's worth. The instructor, Gibran, had a fun time with you and said you did great in the 2-hour session. We hope you'll come see us again for round 2!

Team Bodhi Surf
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Syracuse, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This is my second time to Uvita and I really needed to find a rental surfboard. So, I contacted Travis and Gibran to tell them I was coming and asked if they could arrange to get me a surfboard. I didn't want to waste time looking for one and when I arrived, Gibran brought several to choose from. It was in great shape and I used it for the whole week. These guys are very knowledgable about the different places to surf, too. Nice, friendly people!

1 Thank Wavedave68
achandrahuff, Owner at Bodhi Surf School, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you, Wavedave68, for taking the time to share your experience with Bodhi Surf! It was really no problem at all, we were more than happy to help a fellow surfer out; we know how it can be when you go to another country and have to find a board. We hope you'll come down again!

Nantucket, MA
“Not your typical "surf camp"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

What a great time in Uvita! I have nothing but positive things to say about the team that makes up Bodhi Surf. They were recommended by a Costa Rican friend of mine, and I began emailing Gibran for more detailed information. He was very thorough, helpful, prompt and made my decision easy to spend my vacation there.
I stayed at a local eco-lodge and had times set up for both surfing (5x) and yoga (6x)... I have tried surfing before, but never really got the hang of it. Going every day, while dreading it at the beginning (!), I slowly caught on and was doing fairly well by myself on the last couple of days. Gibran and Adrianne were so helpful, patient, fun--everything you'd want in a surf "instructor". Both were totally laid back, but very into surfing, having lots of knowledge and giving me great litte tips I hadn't gotten from other instructors in the few lessons I've had over the years. And, I felt that I received a lot of attention since half my sessions were just me. Very flexible with time too....All in all, Awesome!! Would love to see them again should I go back next year, and would definitely recommend them.
My yoga instructor Pilar, was also just a true delight. Patient and nurturing, most of my sessions turned out to be one-on-one, which was a real treat. I'm used to crowded yoga classes, so her attention to detail to my practice was terrific. And, the facility at La Cusinga lodge is beautiful. She just has a wonderful, giving vibe and it shows!

Visited March 2012
Tracy C - Thank you so much for your kind and very flattering words! We're thrilled that you had such a good time out in the water, especially since you were slightly dreading it -- and you did SO well, you made significant progress during your time here and were catching great waves on your own. We are also so happy to hear that your yoga sessions were so enjoyable, I know Pilar really appreciated the time as well and felt a special connection with you and the practice. Finally, we want to thank you as well... we had so much fun with you while you were here and it was a pleasure (for all of us) to get to know you a bit better. And of course, we hope you'll come down here again sometime for round two!

washington dc
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Gibran et al were very patient with my husband and I while helpful with the kids. Our 9 year old was up in no time, and the 11 and 13 year olds quickly followed. We had a great time. Bananas and water at the lesson's end, and we got to keep the boards for an hour afterwards. A happy experience and memory. Would recommend to friends.

Visited April 2012
Thank you, evieao, for taking the time to share your experience with Bodhi Surf School. We're so glad that you guys had a great time; I know Gibran and Esneyder had a really fun time out in the water with your family. We hope you'll come surf with us again!

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Name Doesn't Begin to Describe What They Do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

From the moment I started corresponding on-line with Gibran, I was surprised and impressed with the services offered by Bodhi Surf, a company owned by two couples who give the impression that they are young MBAs in board shorts and yoga clothing. I expected only surf lessons -- what I got was that, plus yoga, a great place to stay, and seamless travel arrangements. I booked a flight for my son and I to San José and a flight the next day to Quépos. For a reasonable package price, Bodhi arranged pickup at the airport in San José; a hotel in San José for the night; transportation the next morning to the smaller airport; a rental car at the Quépos airport; a room at the best place to stay in Uvita (La Cusinga -- see my separate review); daily surf and yoga lessons; excursion reservations (Pilar is a full-service travel professional, not just a warm and skilled yoga teacher); coffee; a Bodhi t-shirt; and dozens of photos of my son surfing. Before you leave home, they provide a very professional daily itinerary and information package, with contact numbers and travel advice. Gibran says they are about to break ground on three guest cabins and a yoga facility in Uvita, for travellers who want to live nearer the beach and have a kitchen. I am sure they'll do it well! If you are traveling to the Quépos-Dominical-Uvita region and value honest and reliable travel hosts, I highly recommend them.

Visited March 2012
JEM060 - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and your experience with Bodhi Surf... your feedback helps us grow and develop as a business. First off, we're so glad that you enjoyed your time here and that everything went "seamlessly", we know how important that is in contributing to a relaxing vacation, and so we do everything we can to make things run smoothly. Second, it was a pleasure getting to know you and your son... we had lots of fun both in the water and out, and of course hope that you'll come see us again. Finally, thank you for the recommendation and the kind words, it really means so much to us!