“Honeymoon paradise”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Culver City, California, United States
“Honeymoon paradise”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I couldn't stop saying "wow" at Oxygen. This place is a must see if you are planning a trip to Costa Rica. We stayed their on the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. It is an incredibly romantic setting right in the jungle. The rooms are self-standing, private, bungalows that are glass enclosed so you can see the jungle all around you. Privacy was key for the honeymoon, and even though it was a fish bowl, we always felt like we were alone. There were curtains to draw all around the bungalow for extra privacy too. There is a little couch outside of the bungalow where you can watch the rain during a tropical down pour...so romantic!! I would love to go back.
The entire staff was so sweet and helpful and you could tell they were enjoying working at the resort as much as we enjoyed staying there. Upon arriving we were greeted with the "Oxygen signature cocktail". We sipped our cocktails in the modern, chic dining area situated right next to the infinity pool overlooking the jungle and the ocean. Need I say more? What a way to start a honeymoon.
The food is so good too!! Each night there was a "surprise dinner" that included a salad, a soup, an entree, and a dessert. The first night, we informed them that we don't eat meat other than fish, but somehow they misunderstood and gave us one totally vegetarian meal (which was just sides and nothing to replace the main portion of the meal) and fish. We let it go and asked them to please give us 2 meals with fish the next night, but they made the same mistake the following night. They told us they would take it off of our bill and apologized several times, but we had to remind them to take it off of our bill when we checked out. They got the meal right the 3rd night though! Like I said, the food was excellent.
There is a small waterfall and a little natural pool down a hiking trail on the property. There is so much wildlife in the area and we were greeted by a tucan when we arrived!
They only cater to 24 people at one time, so it's easy to get to know other guests. We had a good time talking to 2 other American couples one night at dinner.
Do not hesitate to go to this place...JUST DO IT!!

1 Thank Andrea S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Firstly if you're going to Costa Rica and staying at somewhere with jungle in the title, then you should not be surprised to have to drive a little off road. Even some of the regular roads are unmade...ever been to Monteverde?

Upon arriving at the property I was simply amazed. It is beautiful. The staff meet you at your car, direct you to a table by the pool, bring you a glass of water and a welcome cocktail and then allow you to relax and enjoy the AMAZING view before taking you to your villa, where your luggage is waiting.

The whole resort is very chic, lots of white, dark wood and glass, so if you're lookng for a traditional Costa Rican style resort then you may want to look elsewhere. Everything is very clean, works very well and is super comforatable, including the bed. Our shower leaked a little, but nothing too serious to complain about.

The food is also very good; breakfast is breakfast (eggs, granola, toast etc), but the dinner is always a surprise as the chef goes to the market daily to get the freshest ingredients. All dishes we had were a hit.

Really the highlight was the staff. They are just so "real" and not stuffy at all. Always helpful and friendly. Bob (who showed us to our room) was especially friendly and helpful throughout the stay.

Regarding tours, we did a day on ATV's which was amazing, the scenery in the area is breathtaking, and also a boat/hiking tour of a national forest (Departing from Bar Las Vegas in Sierpe) which is some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen...also saw croc's, monkeys and a turtle.

It is a little away from the hustle and bustle of any towns, so if you're looking for bars and nightlife then stay away. However if you're looking to relax by a pool, have amazing views, a few drinks, meet some good people, but still have the option to do some great tours then this is the place for you.

We're planning on going back in October or November to just unwind for a few days...can't wait!!!

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank benjhobbs
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We celebrated our honeymoon at Oxygen for 8 nights during the last week in December. As many of the reviews state here – it is a lovely place to spend a honeymoon. It is quiet (no kids or large parties), the setting is gorgeous and the service is top-notch.
The pool area is amazing – comfortable chairs surround an idyllic infinity pool that overlooks the coastline. As soon as you sit down, the attentive staff brings you cucumber water and are happy to bring cocktails or even lunch to you while you are lounging poolside. Some of my favorite memories are of floating in the pool and watching toucans in the lush trees with the sounds of howler monkeys in the distance – it really was out of this world. We spent many days just lying by the pool, swimming, eating and reading – exactly what a vacation is supposed to be.
We really debated about whether or not to rent a car because, though we wanted the freedom to come and go as we pleased, we were a little nervous about what we had read about the treacherous drive up the mountain. In the end we are really glad that we chose not to. Since it rained quite a bit while we were there (which we were not expecting for late December!) we were very glad that we relied on taxis to transport us. Having been New Yorkers for many many years, we were not expert drivers, especially in rough terrain. And the mountain is STEEP. And slippery. Do note that is cost $10 each way to just to get up and down the mountain. That means if you are doing any tours from Domincal or want to eat in Ojachel, you have to pay about $70 r/t just for transport. In the end, we think it was less expensive for us to use taxis since we ended up spending a few days just hanging around Oxygen. Plus, the piece of mind of not having to drive was worth every penny. That said, if you are used to driving a 4x4, the drive up the mountain is probably not too bad.
We ate most of our meals at Oxygen and we found the food to be mostly hits with a few misses. The good news is that the hits were out of this world. We had some really fabulous dinners. The ingredients were fresh and simple but the way that they were combined were inventive and delicious. We especially enjoyed the unique homemade soups and salads. We love long dinners so the 4 course meals were a real treat. Plus we found that it gave us time to talk to guests at neighboring tables and have some interesting and lively conversations. The one thing I was a little bummed about was the lack of seafood. Out of the 8 nights we stayed there, they only served seafood as the main course once but served chicken 3 times (plus twice at lunch). I guess, being on the coast, I expected much more seafood.
The other restaurants we ate at in the area were La Fogata (pizza) and Citrus. Both were great.
The villas themselves were lovely, incredibly clean and very cozy. The glass walls were awesome and created amazing light. We loved the open design and the bed was more than comfortable. I know that there are also a lot of complaints on this site about the bathroom/shower but we did not have any issues with either. I was also scared that there were going to be bugs in the room due to the remote jungle location, but I’m happy to report that we didn’t find any bugs in the room.
But probably the biggest overall disappointment of our stay at Oxygen was the location of our villa. One of the reasons I chose Oxygen’s remote location was for the view – especially since we knew we were going to be spending a lot of time in our villa. I had requested an ocean view (specifically villa #3) but we were assigned villa #8 which was on the edge of the road and did not really have a view. If you stood up at a certain angle, you could catch a glimpse of the ocean but while sitting on the porch, there was no view. I told the staff of my disappointment and requested to be moved to one of the villas with a full ocean view (especially since the first 2 nights the air conditioning was broken) but I kept being told that they were full… To the staff’s credit, they worked hard to fix the air con in a timely fashion and they trimmed the hedges to try to give the villa a better view (which did not work) but we were never moved. I totally understand that they were 100% full but we kept seeing people check out of the ocean view villas and new people check in to them so I’m not sure why our request could not be accommodated for at least a portion of our 8 night stay. Though I was a bit disappointed since I was expecting a full ocean view it did not by any means ruin our stay in the villas.
By the end of our stay we felt like we were leaving our second home and saying goodbye to the staff was like leaving old friends. Overall we really loved Oxygen and would definitely recommend it for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Villas 1-5 had the best ocean views. The jungle villas looked to be the most private.
2 Thank bergen17
connecticut
Reviewed 2 January 2012

If you read this review and are really trying to decide if you should drive the 4 hours to uvita and then climb a dirt road way up into the hills just to stay at a resort.... Do it! Just let me give you a little background on our "adventure" to this lovely place.
We, my husband and I have been planning on visiting Costa Rica for over a year. We have read about Oxygen in Conde Nest (sp?) magazine and we love exciting new resorts to visit. We have traveled all over the world,(literally ALL over the world, you name it, we have been there) and this was our first visit to central america and we wanted it to be great. Well, I am a planner and I had everything planned perfectly. With all that planning, we had a rough flight from Boston to San Jose. When we went to get our car that we had reserved two months before the the trip from Alamo(supposedly the best car rental place in Costa Rica) no car! They literally dropped us off at the airport and we have to find some other small car rental company to rent from. We drove and drove and because of all the trouble with alamo we were really late getting on the road so we were a little afraid of get in after dark. I called oxygen about an hour before we arrived just to let them know that we were still coming, and that were would probably get there just around 5:30 pm or just as it gets dark. They assured us that if we needed anything they would help and ask me if we wanted to join them for dinner that night. I said yes just because I was tired and I know that we would not have the chance to get back into town. So we drove and followed the directions that Flora sent via email, which were perfect! When we got to the resort and saw how beautiful it was and when we were greeted by Zoe and Joan and a cool drink, I literally forgot all the pain and time wasted dealing with alamo and everything negative that had just happened! Then they showed us to our room! I loved the cool modern clean lines of the room and glass walls that so clean and clear and inviting! Then we went up to dinner and my husband is a vegetarian and I eat fish, so I had told Joan that when we arrived! Dinner was amazing! My husband was blown away by how fresh and delicious everything was. After a great dinner,we went to bed which was so comfy and soft. Now the highlight of every morning, was the view from our room. We had a oceanview and when I would open my eyes I would look through the glass and look out and see the clear blue sky, the beautiful trees and a slice of the ocean. My husband arranged a mountain bike tour toxygeroughoygen and he loved it! He loves to bike and his guide took him on a tour that he will never forget. This resort is one of those places that everyone should experience. The staff, the food, the decor, the scenery are just perfect! I told My husband that I wanted to quit my job and get a job at oxygen just so I could stay. We own our own business, so the boss would not let me go! Is there anything wrong with the place? Yeah that is so far away! LOL You do need a 4x4 and the drive up is pretty sharp. But it is fine. It is well worth it!

4 Thank islandtravel07
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I'm sure that many of you who are researching this area are also looking at Rancho. I'm not going to get into the details of the roads up the hills and whatnot as that is fully covered. My wife and I stayed at both Oxy and RP last Feb. They are different. Overall, Oxy is more laid back and more hip in my opinion. RP is more refined and stylish. We stayed in one of the least expensive rooms at RP and while it was nice (great bathroom) it was a bit of a letdown from our room at Oxy. While everyone at RP (owners, staff, guests) were very nice, it just felt a little pretentious at times. Most guests here are staying at very expensive villas (very nice if you can swing it) and, at least while we were there, these guests seemed to all be members of a club we were merely visiting. That may sound weird but it's the only way I can describe it.

If we were to return, I'd pick Oxy over RP. It is not only a better value, it just feels better. The food at RP gets a slight edge (breakfast is great at RP and included) and the service at RP is slicker, Oxy just feels better.

One last difference, the staff at Oxy is pretty transparent. I mean this in a good way. Very accommodating and then they leave you alone. That's the way we like it. If you need people fawning all over you all the time then RP might be a better choice.

Room Tip: Try and get an ocean room as far to the right as you look down from the pool area. The first few ro...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple