Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
StayForLong
All reviews infinity pool ocean view villa costa rica our honeymoon welcome drink couples massage unpaved road pura vida boutique hotel every meal zip lining heaven on earth rainy season waterfall jungle bryan privacy
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 January 2012

If you read this review and are really trying to decide if you should drive the 4 hours to uvita and then climb a dirt road way up into the hills just to stay at a resort.... Do it! Just let me give you a little background on our "adventure" to this lovely place.
We, my husband and I have been planning on visiting Costa Rica for over a year. We have read about Oxygen in Conde Nest (sp?) magazine and we love exciting new resorts to visit. We have traveled all over the world,(literally ALL over the world, you name it, we have been there) and this was our first visit to central america and we wanted it to be great. Well, I am a planner and I had everything planned perfectly. With all that planning, we had a rough flight from Boston to San Jose. When we went to get our car that we had reserved two months before the the trip from Alamo(supposedly the best car rental place in Costa Rica) no car! They literally dropped us off at the airport and we have to find some other small car rental company to rent from. We drove and drove and because of all the trouble with alamo we were really late getting on the road so we were a little afraid of get in after dark. I called oxygen about an hour before we arrived just to let them know that we were still coming, and that were would probably get there just around 5:30 pm or just as it gets dark. They assured us that if we needed anything they would help and ask me if we wanted to join them for dinner that night. I said yes just because I was tired and I know that we would not have the chance to get back into town. So we drove and followed the directions that Flora sent via email, which were perfect! When we got to the resort and saw how beautiful it was and when we were greeted by Zoe and Joan and a cool drink, I literally forgot all the pain and time wasted dealing with alamo and everything negative that had just happened! Then they showed us to our room! I loved the cool modern clean lines of the room and glass walls that so clean and clear and inviting! Then we went up to dinner and my husband is a vegetarian and I eat fish, so I had told Joan that when we arrived! Dinner was amazing! My husband was blown away by how fresh and delicious everything was. After a great dinner,we went to bed which was so comfy and soft. Now the highlight of every morning, was the view from our room. We had a oceanview and when I would open my eyes I would look through the glass and look out and see the clear blue sky, the beautiful trees and a slice of the ocean. My husband arranged a mountain bike tour toxygeroughoygen and he loved it! He loves to bike and his guide took him on a tour that he will never forget. This resort is one of those places that everyone should experience. The staff, the food, the decor, the scenery are just perfect! I told My husband that I wanted to quit my job and get a job at oxygen just so I could stay. We own our own business, so the boss would not let me go! Is there anything wrong with the place? Yeah that is so far away! LOL You do need a 4x4 and the drive up is pretty sharp. But it is fine. It is well worth it!

Date of stay: December 2011
4  Thank islandtravel07
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I'm sure that many of you who are researching this area are also looking at Rancho. I'm not going to get into the details of the roads up the hills and whatnot as that is fully covered. My wife and I stayed at both Oxy and RP last Feb. They are different. Overall, Oxy is more laid back and more hip in my opinion. RP is more refined and stylish. We stayed in one of the least expensive rooms at RP and while it was nice (great bathroom) it was a bit of a letdown from our room at Oxy. While everyone at RP (owners, staff, guests) were very nice, it just felt a little pretentious at times. Most guests here are staying at very expensive villas (very nice if you can swing it) and, at least while we were there, these guests seemed to all be members of a club we were merely visiting. That may sound weird but it's the only way I can describe it.

If we were to return, I'd pick Oxy over RP. It is not only a better value, it just feels better. The food at RP gets a slight edge (breakfast is great at RP and included) and the service at RP is slicker, Oxy just feels better.

One last difference, the staff at Oxy is pretty transparent. I mean this in a good way. Very accommodating and then they leave you alone. That's the way we like it. If you need people fawning all over you all the time then RP might be a better choice.

Room tip: Try and get an ocean room as far to the right as you look down from the pool area. The first few rooms on the left hand side have limited views. Still nice though...
Date of stay: February 2011
5  Thank Jsnjl
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband and I were looking for an adventurous yet relaxing vacation for our 5 year wedding anniversary and our trip to Oxygen was exactly what we needed. We were able to have some adventure by driving along the coast from San Jose to Uvita, and by zip lining and waterfall repelling. The hotel itself was so different from anything we have ever experienced. From the moment we arrived, we felt like family. They gave us a refreshing complimentary drink and some cold towels to wash up after our journey as our luggage was being taken to our villa. The villas are like nothing we have ever seen before. We had a beautiful view of the ocean to awaken to every morning. It was also amazing to be awoken by the sound of howler monkeys and birds daily. the bed was very comfortable and the floors and bathroom were pristine and pretty.
We stayed during the transition from the rainy to the dry season. It rained daily, but mostly in the afternoon, at which point we were ready to relax in our villa anyway. It did rain for one entire day during our trip, but that forced us to relax more and enjoy the view from our porch. We did get a couples massage our third day, right after waterfall repelling, and that was the perfect way to end the day. My husband and I chose to eat at Oxygen all 5 nights of our stay. The five course surprise dinners were amazing, the food was so fresh, and it was easier to stay and eat than to drive up and down the mountain in the dark and the rain. My husband and I can't wait to return!!

Room tip: Ocean view is amazing. I recommend Villa 4
Date of stay: November 2011
2  Thank Rikky06
Reviewed 30 November 2011

First, the staff is excellent. When you get there (not an easy thing to do) you are greeted as if you're a regular with a handshake, a smile, and a signature cocktail. For your entire stay, all of the associates make you feel like an old friend. We especially liked that there was never any bills for dinner, cocktails, or even any discussion of money until you check out. It makes you feel like royalty and everything there is especially for you and your partner.
Second, their chef is extraordinary! We would urge anyone considering a trip to Oxygen Villas to secure reservations for dinner early and every night they are staying. He mixed the local and international ingredients expertly and rivals some of the best restaurants we've been to.
Third, the property is beautiful. Thanks to the glass walled villas, there are stunning views everywhere you look yet, surprisingly, you still feel like you have sufficient privacy to, umm, enjoy your honeymoon.
That brings me to my final point, while I could see any couple enjoying their stay there, its especially romantic for honeymooners. There aren't a slew of distractions or screaming kids running around like the big resorts. Just you and your partner enjoying the beauty of the scenery and each other's company. There are beautiful beaches and things like horseback riding within a few minutes drive but the town of Uvita remains relatively undeveloped as far as the usual tourist clutter. I guess the point is that it this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if slowing your pace a little and taking time to enjoy your stay is what you are looking for. It's not likely you will find anywhere else that will rival Oxygen Jungle Villas.

Date of stay: November 2011
4  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Yes, it's a tricky place to get to, but these folks want to help you get there. As you book and plan, they immediately respond to inquiries about activities, costs and directions. We chose to land in San Jose and spent then night, then drove to Oxygen, where we spent the next 5 days. Just be patient and enjoy the adventure that is driving in Costa Rica. That hill is something else, but the owners' directions are spot on and easy to follow.

We stayed in Villa 3, which has a great view of the ocean. The villas look close together as you pull up, but they are hidden from each other with a clever layout and lots of natural cover. We had a couple of ants bunk with us the first night, but they didn't hang around. The green toilet was interesting, but not as bad as the Grand Canyon (where you gotta pack it out with you). The glass walls are a nice touch, as are the privacy blinds you can pull over to cover them up. The air kept the room comfortable.

We wish we could give the service 6 stars. Upon arriving they unloaded our car and gave us drinks next to the pool. They offered to book trips and tours for us. They invited us to the evening dinner. They never ask for cash or a room number. We felt completely at home.

Starting with the tours: we did the zipline canopy tour and the whale watching. Both were wonderful. Oxygen has a good relationship with the local guides and businesses. They make a call and arrange everything--you just have to show up. The zipline guides gave a quick ecology lesson while taking us up to the platforms. I don't like heights at all but had a great time. The whale tour was beautiful. We saw some humpback families (they didn't jump out--we were told they mainly do that in the rainier season) and large turtles. The whale tour ended with some snorkeling above a little reef with some huge fish darting in and around it. Beautiful.

We spent another day on the beaches, which were incredible. At low tide there is a huge beach with hardly any people on it. We got fried and a little lost, but it was wonderful.

Enjoyed a morning hiking around the reserve and an afternoon relaxing by the pool. They pipe in some mellow trip-hop/electronic music into that area. It's soft like background music and they have speakers in the water so you can hear it when you go under. And the view from the pool area, as well as from our deck, was gorgeous.

The food was great. I'm a picky eater, but the evening meals, though pricey, are excellent and well worth the extra money. The breakfast and lunch is a little more regular, but also very good. The staff also know all the other places to eat, from the burger shack to the open air pizza joint where you can bring your own booze (and which is also draped in vines and flowers).

This place is different, but we were only too happy to have tried it out. The people there are wonderful. I reckon we'll be back there again one of these days.

Date of stay: March 2011