“nothing really positive to say - I left as soon as I could”
Review of Sea View Cottages

and 1 more site!
Sea View Cottages
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Baga
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I went to Baga beach without having booked anything beforehand, and ended up staying in this place as I didn't want to waste much time looking for something. I visited several rooms before opting for a "cottage", which I liked best because it had a little patio in the front - that's actually the only thing I liked about the place. The rooms are very basic, ugly, and pretty much run down. I was unable to use the towels provided by the hotel, as they looked very dirty. (Probably they had been washed, but there were plenty of large brown stains that made them look dirty.) The lack of security seems to be a big issue, as I was warned, about 10 times, that I shouldn't leave anything in the room; on the other hand, you can only access the lockers during daytime... Anyway, I was really happy to leave as soon as I could; the whole stay left a bad taste in my mouth, as the expression goes.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank IsidoraS
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Online descriptions of this hotel put a lot of emphasis on its location. This is unsurprising for 2 reasons. Firstly, it really IS in an excellent place – situated on a quiet but central side street with Baga beach, numerous shops, bars, and restaurants all on your doorstep and no traffic noise. However, the second reason the location is touted as such a great feature of this hotel is because that's pretty much all it has going for it. I know that hotels in Goa are always pretty basic; minimal decor and thin, hard mattresses are standard, but in other, cheaper, 2*hotels you can get a larger room with fridge included, moderately safe electrical fittings, a 24-hour reception service and sometimes even a free lockbox in the wardrobe.
You could purchase a fridge for the price we had to pay for one; the lockboxes were downstairs- locks not included; the electrical sockets were hanging from the walls and sparked alarmingly when in use; my fan whined and wobbled dangerously when switched on since it was attached to the celing with sticky tape; and for your room to be cleaned you had to hand your key over to reception where they were hung on the wall in full view- a big problem since the desk was often deserted- I tried several times to hand mine over anyway and on every occasion they sent me back up to my room to wait for the cleaner. No one taking a holiday should be required to waste an hour sitting around in their prison cell of a room every time they want it cleaned.
All of the problems listed above could have easily been redeemed by the presence of friendly and helpful staff, of which there is no short supply in Goa, but instead we got rude waiters, lazy cleaning staff, downright miserable reception workers and miscellaneous men of unspecified occupation who would always come and leer at me if I was alone and ask me strange questions, which meant that sunbathing in peace was impossible. One of the women on reception snapped at my brother for walking too loudly in flip-flops and later spent a whole day moping around and sobbing at the top of her voice, another started berating me for losing my key when I had it in my hand- very odd behaviour indeed. I have always made a conscious effort to be friendly and considerate to service staff [I used to be one of them] and so, whilst one reviewer has said that the attitude of the staff at Sea View Cottages ‘depends on your attitude towards them’, I'm afraid that I really do have to beg to differ.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank penny-a-word
Reviewed 22 November 2011

i personally love the place... feels like home away from home.. and about the management and staff, it totally depends on your attitude towards them.. so... would sure recommend the place :)
and i highly suggest you get in touch with Vivian who is like the manager of the place,and is a very nice person..

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sheetalpm
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The Good
++ Location is excellent as its a min walk away from Baga Beach
+ Room size was good, TV and refrigerator was OK
+ Pool was nice and clean
The Bad
- Walls are thin so a little noisy but manageable
- Service and staff are annoying
- Bathroom is basic but poorly maintained.

Room Tip: Ask the management to show you around couple of rooms as 1 of our 2 rooms we took had a poorly maint...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank vikram a
Reviewed 19 June 2011

-rooms are okay. da balcony was da only saving grace.. lots of mosquitoes though...
-not as noisy as da other ppl said..
-no hot water..
-filthy bedsheets, pillows n towels.
-no bathroom accessories
- good fridge
-no drinking water
-good size closet n mirror
-horrible security. incase u want a locker, u'll have to get ur own lock!
-breakfast was good except for da late service but then dats just goa...
-easy to get bikes and taxis
-good location.. extremely close to da beach and titos.
-da road to da hotel gets lonely and has no street lights.
-not worth the cost. good place if u just want it for sleep n bath..bt even then not worth wat u pay..

Room Tip: Check da room personally before booking.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple