“Lovely old accommodation in great location”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Richmond
New South Wales, Australia
“Lovely old accommodation in great location”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed here for a week and family from afar also joined us. The staff were really helpful in changing our elderly relatives room so they didnt have to traverse the stairs. All of our rooms with ensuite were clean and spacious with lovely high ceilings. The only downside to ours was a very creaky floor in the bathroom which made it noisy in the room if anybody visited the bathroom early morning etc. The breakfast is very good and the room and common lounge area cosy with the fireplace and a great place to get together for a drink. The hotel also has a cosy little bar with a selection of wines and other beverages. The hotel has tramstops handy to go to and from chappel street and is walking distance to Bridge Road for food, shopping and trams into the city.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have a few stairs and probably better for those who have trouble staying downstairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The hotel is a beautiful old building and the outside is full of charm. The reception area is small but adequate. It gives a three star impression. The person behind the desk does much more than reception so sometimes there's no one to be found. But there is a bell, and they come as quickly as they can. I didn't have to wait long. The reception people are friendly and very helpful with storing bags etc.

The corridors to the rooms are a maze of left turns and right turns, through multiple doors and up and down many large and small sets of stairs. It's odd to walk down a hallway through a door and up half a set of stairs only to go through another door and down half a set of stairs. Carrying bags in and out is a pain. But it is the original design so to preserve it is important. They were kind enough to put my bag in my room for me. But when I left, I carried it out myself and it was a challenge up and down the multiple staircases in high heels and opening all the doors along the way. They probably would have sent someone to get it for me had I asked, which I didn't.

My room was tiny and very basic, with sixties or seventies decor (brown laminated woodgrain look with bits of chipboard peeking though from underneath the broken bits of laminate). The bed was obviously very old with a basic mattress and spring base. It had an old white bedspread on the bed. The photos on the website look much better than real life. But everything was clean. The windows are traditional sash windows with all the problems that go with them, including serious drafts that were so bad I had to stuff the towels in the window frames. But the hydronic heating worked well to compensate somewhat. The bathroom was tiny but clean. There was no soap, which I found strange. Lucky I had a bar in my bag. Everything in the room worked, but it was all quite run down. Strangely, the kettle didn't fit under the tap, so I couldn't fill it. Very odd. I could have used a glass and tipped water in glass by glass if I was desperate. I wasn't that desperate.

The buffet breakfast was very nice, and the breakfast room is lovely in a three star kind of way. The open fires were beautiful and really supplied the ambiance in droves. I really liked it. The woman serving breakfast on the day I was there was quite rude, like I was disturbing her, which was disappointing. Everyone else was nice though. She was the very notable exception and she did singlehandedly bring down my overall service score unfortunately.

The location is excellent. In the middle of Richmond, near shops and restaurants and convenient to transport.

Overall, I thought it was perfectly fine for a night or two, particularly for the price. I paid around $140 per night, which is good for this location. I felt safe, the heating was good, my room was clean and most of the staff were very helpful. You wouldn't stay for a two week holiday unless you were strapped for cash. The rooms are too depressing for a long stay. But for a couple of nights, for central, affordable accommodation, it was fine.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room at the back of the hotel. The front may be a bit noisy as it's a busy road...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Michigan
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The location of this hotel is excellent; a quiet residential area with restaurants and cafes nearby. The public rooms are lovely and the breakfast was an added bonus. The rooms were clean and quiet. The only downside is that the room included no phone and I was not clear on how to operate the TV and cable (both had separate remotes). I chose the non-ensuite option, but the bathrooms were very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the building and an ensuite.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This hotel is in Church Street between Bridge and Swan Streets Richmond. If you want to shop or eat or to sightsee Melbourne you could hardly be better situated. We took a room with an ensuite, which I'd recommend. The room was plain but comfortable and very quiet. The building is historic with some lovely public rooms. There is a generous continental breakfast and the staff couldn't be more pleasant. There are 3 tram lines and 1 railway line within easy walking distance and numerous routes. It's only a couple of kilometres into the centre if you prefer to walk. That will certainly be my base on future visits.

• Stayed May 2012
Longford, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My Husband and I were down to Richmond from country vic to see a Gig and wanted somewhere close to the main street and somewhere to 'crash'. The hotel was excellent value for money, clean, tidy, friendly staff, parking and breaky included. It was on the main st, yet very quiet and for $130 bucks it was ideal. Great place to stay overall.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Chapel Street
Magnolia Court Boutique
#144 of 159 in Melbourne
Mantra on Jolimont
#92 of 159 in Melbourne

Been to Richmond Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK