“The Rescue Cables”

Ranked #1 of 7 Matlock Bath B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The Rescue Cables”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I would like to extend my thanks to Roger and Maureen for their help and generosity when my friends and I experienced difficulties in the nearby river Derwent. Having had our kayaks overturned in the swollen river, my friends and I were in real need of help. I was one of the last to emerge from the water after 20 minutes being swept along. I finally made it up to road level to see two people (Roger & Maureen) carrying my friend into The Cables B&B directly opposite where our boat was banked.

I went across the road soaking wet, shivering and completely exhausted. At the front door I was met by Maureen who invited me inside, offered me a warm drink and went off to make it for me and my friends, who, as it turns out, were already inside.

I was directed to the shower and told towels, fresh clothes and robes were already awaiting me. I grabbed the most welcome shower of my life, finally got dry and put on the clothes, robes and slippers provided. They even made me a cup of tea and left it outside the room for when I’d finished showering.

My friend who had been sick was being looked after by Maureen, who had started a fire in the living room to warm us all up, and was helping him dry his hair. More tea was brought through again and Maureen then went off and gathered our wet clothes and began tumble drying them, while Roger went to make us all some food.

Once the boat had been recovered our party organiser came back in and left some money for us to pay with before going to prepare for our return to camp. Roger then came in with a huge plate of bacon and sausage sandwiches and more tea.

Before we left we offered to pay towards this heroic hospitality, but Roger & Maureen refused to take any money. I finally departed wearing most of the clothes I went into the river Derwent wearing, fully dry, fuelled up with the fantastic bacon & sausage sandwiches Roger made us all, and somehow with the very kind help of Roger & Maureen we were able to go back to our camp on the moors for a further night, to finish our Stag celebrations.

An astonishing turnaround from clinging to the side of an upturned kayak at 15:00, to returning to camp in dry clothes at 18:00. My sincerest thanks to Roger & Maureen at The Cables B&B for all their help. It’s kindness like this that restores your faith in humanity.

2 Thank Carl A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Myself and a group of friends were in the area on an outdoors-y stag weekend and were canoeing down the river when our canoe capsized. We were lucky enough to end up over the road from this lovely little B&B, and the owners, Roger and Maureen, were simply amazing to us!

Not only did they offer us a place to get indoors, warm and dry, but they gave us the use of their showers, washer and tumble dryer and towels and dressing gowns, and made us all hot tea and lovely bacon and sausage sandwiches! The hospitality of this couple to a group of half-drowned, bedgraggled strangers who weren't even their guests was simply amazing! I have no doubt that, without their help, kindness and hospitality, our weekend would have been over very prematurely.

The stag (through no fault of his own - I hasten to add he wasn't "worse for wear" before getting in the boat!) was in a pretty bad way having swallowed half the river and needed help to get in to the B&B at all, and was well taken care of. Roger and Maureen were fantastic to us all throughout, with smiles on their faces the whole time, and nothing was too much trouble for them. Not only this, but they wouldn't accept our offer of some money for their kindness, either.

If this is how they treat a group of people who aren't even their guests who turn up on their doorstep wet through to the core, then I can only imagine how their guests must be treated! If I'm travelling in the area again, I certainly won't hesitate to stay there, as our experience with them was simply amazing. Thank you so much, Roger and Maureen, for saving our weekend!

I can't comment on the rooms at all, obviously, but all the facilities were lovely, and the place itself was immaculate. The food was extremely tasty, and the location (when you're not too busy trying to drag canoes out of the river) is simply beautiful. On a side note, we were informed by Roger and Maureen that they were having a hot tub fitted this week, which must be an added benefit to those staying!

3 Thank djeglin
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Firstly I have to say that our group of 10 close friends did not have the pleasure of staying at the Cables B&B overnight. However we were fortunate enough to experience the incredibly warm and welcoming hospitality that the patrons offered to us in what really was our hour of need.

10 men, high on life and the enjoyment of a stag weekend had got together, on the morning of Saturday 28th April up river from Matlock, and set out in a large boat down river. We were unprepared and foolhardy to say the least and the water was much faster than we had planned for after recent downpours. When the inevitable happened and the boat capsised we all quickly found ourselves struggling to stay above the surface, very cold water and in serious trouble.

Eventually and after being in the water for what seemed like an age we all managed to scramble out at various points suffering everything from exhaustion, early stage hyperthermia and shock, several of our number having come far too close to drowning than anyone would like.

It was at that point that from across the road came Roger & Maureen, the proprioters of The Cables B&B, we were in a bad way and within minutes they had taken us in offering us there home and business, doing everything they could to help us. They offered us there facilities with hot showers, they gave us warm clothes to wear whilst our wet ones were dried, hot drinks and a huge plate of sausage and bacon sandwiches and all without anything but concern for the wellbeing of ten complete strangers and without taking a single penny in compensation for their time and inconvenience.

Instead of a trip to the hospital and having to apologise to the bride to be about the untimely end of her future husband we were able to leave Matlock warm, upbeat and well only as a result of their kindness and generosity. On the basis of everything they have done for us we felt it was only right we let as many people as we could know how high a regard we hold Roger and Maureen and their wonderful B&B.

What i can say for sure is that if you stay a night here and experience even a small percent of the hospitality we received, you will have had the most welcoming and wonderful break it is possible to have.

Thank you Roger and Maureen, we will never forget what you did for us.

A very grateful and relieved Best Man.

3 Thank thelazyfox
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We arrived to a caffatiere of coffee and home-made chocolate fudge cake in front of a roaring wood-burner. Thats it! I was smitten. On our first night (of two) we ate steak and a lamb shank cooked to perfection by Roger. Food and wine and the well-stocked mini bar are very reasonable charges.
Breakfast was excellent - lots of choice whether you choose the healthy option or the full monty.

After we came back after a day out at Chatsworth (lots to see - pity it rained so much) we discovered our room had had some additions made to it - towel swans, rose petals, balloon and a message on the chalk board. Roger had realised it was our wedding anniversary. A lovely lovely personal touch.
We ate that night at 'Balti', Indian restaurant five minutes walk away. Great place, definately recommend but need to book.
Thankyou Roger and Maureen - you are lovely lovely people with a lovely home to share with your guests.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank guyh282
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Still can't believe how amazing this place is roger is an amazing host who is always there when you need him the food is fantastic and he will cook anything just how you like it the b&b is so close to the heights of Abraham and other local attractions but incase you wish to go further there's also a bus stop right outside can't wait to go again and use the new hot tub thanx again for a fantastic weekend

• Stayed April 2012
1.2 km away
Castle Green B&B
Castle Green B&B
#2 of 51 in Matlock

Been to Cables B&B? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK