“Absolute Bliss”
Review of Rhodes Town

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Lisburn, United Kingdom
3 helpful votes
“Absolute Bliss”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I've visited two years in a row now. Such a charming town steeped in history and culture. Loads of great restaurants to eat in too. The locals here are warm and welcoming. This is definitely on my list of places to stay.

1 Thank Sun_Bunny02
scotland
15 helpful votes
“Rhodes Old Town- rude, unfriendly and disappointing”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Went to Rhodes Old Town on an evening trip from our resort. Although the architecture and scenery is stunning, the shops and restaurants leave a lot to be desired. Throughout my holiday i found the Greek people to be warm, friendly and happy to serve you. Rhodes unfortunately seems to suffer from capital city sydrome- the people there were universally rude and unfriendly. I also had the misfortune to be there at dinner time. You are literally man- handled into restaurants and can't walk more than a few feet without being harassed by waiters trying to get you to go into their establishment. I had the double misfortune to end up in Restaurant Plaza- AVOID THIS ESTABLISHMENT LIKE THE PLAGUE! The restaurant is on an upstairs terrace and the staff whistle at you (like you were a dog!) from on high. We asked to see a menu and were told one was available upstairs along with a table in the centre of the terrace with excellent views across the square. However, when we got upstairs we were seated in a corner and immediately expected to order, despite just wanting to look over the menu. The staff (all male) were sexist and rude and the vast majority spent their time leaning over the terrace directing the man outside to women they were "rating". Only 1 "table boy" seemed to be working every table in the whole restaurant so the service was pretty slow too! The food was also terrible (the only bad meal i had in Rhodes) and all in all it really spoiled my last night on what was otherwise a fantastic island.
I would also advise giving the small stalls that sell crepes a wide berth as the staff here too left a lot to be desired.
I would suggest that Rhodes town is best visited during the day when you can look at the historical sites and avoid the shops and restaurants weherever possible.

4 Thank bubbles180
Stockholm
267 helpful votes
“Crusader Heritage”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Returned with my wife after having been in Rhodes separately 33-36 years ago. The place is packed with history. We lived in the old walled town in a small pension and found it very satifsfying indeed. We spent a lot of time exploring the medieval city with its alleys, churches, houses and not least the wall. You can nowadays walk on top of the wall for maybe a third of its length and it is fascinating. It's very well kept and you can see it is a world heritage. As for the newer (northern tip) of the city it's not that interesting. Many older smaller hotels have come upon hard times since most investment now goes to the big resort establishments along the west and particlularly the east cost. But the northern tip is where the action is if you like 'bar streets' and gaudy liqour stores. Beaches in the city are good. We used a very small one next to the old town which we reached by walking through the medieval moat (it never contained water). This beach we sometimes had to ourselves and could watch the big ferries coming and going. The old town has a square with a lot of fine looking restaurants on several floors. They are tourist traps according to the locals. Also look out for holiday scheme agents. They lure you to endless sales talks by saying you have won a prize (usually a one week 'free' holiday). The packages they sell cost around 5000 euro for 5 weeks during 3 years. You have to decide on the spot, tired and hungry.

2 Thank Ugurd
south yorkshire
2 helpful votes
“The island of sun”
Reviewed 29 October 2008

I went to rhodes with my boyfriend in July and will definetly be returning! Our hotel was basic but that was all we could afford. But all you need is basic when your in an excellent location. We were 10 minutes walking distance from the new and old town. Both are brilliant! The old town is fantastic though, the food, the restuarants and bars, the shops and the culture. The shops are open til about midnight! The new town has a huge range of retaurants too. There is a restuarant in the old town where you can sit on the roof and its really beautiful. Its like greek/italian. There is a street called bar street that is just full of bars. There is good music and excellent cocktail bars. I would definetly say its a holiday for couples though. If you prefer more clubs than bars and restaurants then faliraki isnt far away. The weather was gorgeous about 89 to 90! The people are friendly the food is tasy and theres plenty to see. Overall a fab holiday x

2 Thank lauren248
Concord, CA
259 helpful votes
“View of Costa Concordia from old town”
Reviewed 27 February 2008

Our ship Costa Concordia sailed to Rhodes this February '08. I was surprised to see all the walls, turrets, & castle so well preserved. I think many people on our cruise enjoyed this stop very much. You don't have to pay for a tour. Just get off the ship & walk around the Old Town on your own.

There are plenty of shops & restaurants open. If you like history you will enjoy exploring the castle. They have beautiful mosiac floors there.

2 Thank Rodomaster

Been to Rhodes Town? Share your experiences!