All reviews old town windy beach nice hotel mini market sea view a stones throw night porter three star air conditioning breakfast room reasonable size bar street min walk swimming pool bathroom door room cleaning quiet street
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

A brilliant hotel all in all. Extremely friendly and helpful staff, everything you could possibly want from the bar area to the dining area to the rooms. All very clean and well kept, couldn't have asked for a better stay. Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
AglaHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Agla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Guests, than you so much for your 5 star review which at this moment in time we really appreciate. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your recommendation too.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Sorry to say this was not a 4* experience for us, but then possibly this is just a matter of standards and what you are used to. To us this rated 2/3*.
First surprise was that the 'transfer' mini bus dropped us a road away and we had to pull our cases up the potholed road to the Hotel,access very limited, were we pleased we arrived during daylight ! Similarly when we left we had to drag cases down and wait on the corner of the main road for pick-up, obviously we arrived early and were pretty hot and bothered by the time the coach came, not a good start to the journey home.
We were in a superior room with balcony, it was small and nothing special,the curtain kept falling off the rail, that and the 2'6" square shower did provide amusement throughout the week though. A plus the water was always hot.
The food was pretty awful, breakfast only bacon on 2 days and lacklustre selection, cold oily sliced potato always available. The distinct impression was that whatever was leftover from a meal was rehashed in some way for the following meal, or the one after that. We gave up and despite paying for all inclusive ate out apart from breakfast.The food always looked unappetising, there were minimal selections and was without fail lukewarm. It was noted that not all kitchen personnel wore appropriate head covering or gloves when preparing the food.
There is a dress code for the restaurant, not enforced though, sadly it was the women who let the side down, far too many bums (not always toned ones) hanging out from beneath short shorts.
We did encounter problems most days with dirty cups not being replaced when the room was cleaned and the fridge being restocked, getting sugar replaced in the room also proved challenging.. A couple of days in the morning the hot water urns were not working so that the choice was coffee or juices with meal. We tried to order a packed lunch late afternoon one day for the for the following day but were refused because this could only be supplied with 24hrs notice, we were unaware of this stipulation.
Reception staff, we encountered two ladies, one very nice and helpful the other rather indifferent. Unfortunately neither could give information about things to do or places to go when asked specifically about something, and there were no leaflets/flyers in the foyer. The local 'bucket' shop fractionally more help with coach trips and some knowledge of the open topped bus and little 'noddy train'.
Another irritation was at the bar having to give room number every time requested a drink, we were wearing the hotel all-inclusive identifying bracelet, when asked we were told every drink had to be allocated to a room, never come across that before, talk about micro-managing.
That's the negatives - the positives were that the hotel was well placed to walk to either the beach, harbour or old town and there are some really nice restaurants quite close by. The weather was glorious. A noteworthy holiday and a holiday first, I lost half a stone in weight.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank lunchinglady45
AglaHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Agla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Guests,
We were of course very disappointed to receive your review so I will try and answer your negative points. We are glad you liked the location of the hotel and of course the wonderful weather.
Firstly the transfer from the airport was not arranged by us as if it had been you would have been taken to the front entrance of the hotel. Many times we have complained about dropping people on the road but its seems its is more convenient for the drivers but the transfer bus we use seats up to 16 and drops clients as I said outside the hotel. Yes I do agree that the roads on the island are not very well kept but we again cannot do anything about this.
I note that on your reservation form you asked for a low floor facing the pool with twin beds with shower which is exactly what you had and apparently on your arrival you were delighted to have such a room.
The bathroom is small as you said but always clean, in our diary it does mention that on the 21/9 you did report the problem with the curtain which was fixed the same day. The coffee cups are taken to be washed in the machine and replaced daily as is the coffee sugar etc .
Our hotel is not an exclusive all inclusive hotel which is what you might have stayed in previously and that is why we have to ask your room number.
We note your comments about the food and this morning I went to the kitchen and all the staff had gloves and hats on except the serving staff of course.
Both our reception ladies have been praised repeatedly for their excellent service and as I sit here in the office next to reception I can hear clients being given information on trips busses and also boat trips . We have lots of leaflets in the foyer and more to hand when you ask.
I am sorry that you lost weight whilst you were here but if you ate out most days that can hardly be all the hotels fault.
In conclusion the only complaints I can concur with are your drop off and the state of the roads which has nothing to do with us. I will also accept that our food was not to your taste and we are hoping next year that we will do better in this field.
I hope that this answers most of your complaints and wish you a pleasant winter. It is still beautiful here but weather will change this weekend so we are told.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Once again enjoying the warm and friendly hospitality of Hotel Agla. Always sooo friendly & efficient staff, really 5 star rating.
Moussaka on lunch menu rivals with the best, delicious new find, never forgetting the fresh and sumptuous breakfast.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Hotel Friend, We always value your opinion and also ask you as we know you have years of experience in the hospitality industry. Thank you for the great review and I am sorry I did not get to sit and have a drink with you.
Guests like you are hotel friends and I hope you know that.
From all at the Agla

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Just returned from another wonderful three week holiday at Hotel Agal Rhodes Town.
l will not be listing all the Hotel attributes as l wrote at length on Trip Advisor when l
last visited the Hotel - just as good as ever! See my previous comments!
l an very interested in finding out how many people actually read and take notice of
Trip Advisor comments. lf you are in Rhodes Town at the end of May/beginning of
June next year, pop in and see me. Better still, come and stay at the Agla and join
me for a few drinks.

Room Tip: High Room sea view
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Dear Special Guest,
It is really good to hear from you and to know that you enjoyed your holiday so much. We always enjoy seeing you and enjoy catching up with you although there is never enough time.
We hope you have a good winter and that we will see you again before too long.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

This was our first time in Rhodes and we used Tripadvisor to choose this hotel. It is great value for money, 2 minutes from the beach and 5 minutes walk to the centre with all of the shops, bars and restaurants. Angela at the reception was amazingly welcoming and helpful, she insisted on us going down to have dinner before we checked in as we had arrived late in the evening. The room was nice and clean, could have done with a bit more wardrobe space though. AC was working perfectly and had a mini fridge in the room which was nice. I was very impressed with the mobile phone they provided us which gave unlimited free internet and phone calls - WOW! The WIFI was excellent too, better than what I get at home.

We never used the pool but it was nice and cosy, the ironing service is in the cellar which we did not know about until we were ready to leave. They also gave us 2 beach towels to use during our stay. The beds were comfy, TV was ok but nothing that we could understand was ever on.

Areas for improvement:

We found the food to be a bit poor, breakfast was very basic with very little variety, i understand they have to cater for all internationals, but even basic things like an omlette was not available. The toaster took ages to toast and it would not even brown the toast. Dinner was just as poor - maybe it just was not to our taste, but I would definitely avoid half board next time. We only ate their for 3 out of the 7 nights in the end as we chose to eat out and my wife did not bother going down for the breakfast most of the days as she did not find any of it appealing.

The thing that I fund very annoying was the small charges they put on things like 20 cents to print our our boarding pass, 2 euros for using the baggage locker, 5 euros to use their shower on the day we were due to leave as late check out was not available, a cheeky 3 euro charge for calling a taxi - it just left a bit of of sour taste more on the principle that they wanted to charge their guests for these little services.

Overall it was a nice hotel to stay at and I would recommend other to stay with the cautions taken above.

Emjoy :)

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
AglaHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Agla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Guests, Thank you for your 4 star review and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. First of all we have to have channels for many nationalities and therefore we only have news channels in English, however on most of the Greek channels during the day and evening they have series such as Poirot, CSI etc. So very few clients actually use the TV now.
I note your comments about the breakfast and the food and I will investigate this once again as you are the second person this week to mention this. I have to say though we have had 3 reviews praising the food at the same time so maybe it is just different people tastes.
You also mention the extra charge for printing boarding passes of 20 cents which is quite right, personally I always print mine at home before I leave as most of the guests do so this is a service which has a very small charge. You can leave your luggage in the storage area without charge but if you use a locker the charge is 2 euro. Any locked luggage anywhere in the world involves a charge but as I said you again have an option. The one point that is totally untrue is that we charge for calling a taxi, we do not. Using our internet system we order clients taxis and the whole amount of the taxi fare goes to the taxi driver. Again if you wish to avoid paying extra to the taxi you should go onto the road and hail a taxi . All these small charges are not compulsory and can of course be avoided.
Thank you once again for your review which gives me the chance to explain a few of the charges and we do appreciate your recommendation.
We are sorry you were disappointed with the food and i will be talking to all the kitchen staff.