“It's Great and Not so Great... at the same time”
Review of Domus Rodos Hotel

Domus Rodos Hotel
Ranked #45 of 55 Rhodes Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2014

For 30 euros (single occupancy) in the shoulder season, it was the cheapest I could find online - with air conditioning. There's a hostel with dorm rooms but they do not have air con. Maybe it's okay with no air con as there was a constant breeze in end of June. Many pensions can be found in old town which are not advertised online.

The location is excellent for the fact that it is within Old town and you can easily walk to the 3 different ferry ports and the bus station to the other towns.

HOWEVER - it's location is also in the midst of many bars which plays loud music until 6am - so closing the windows and turning on the air conditioner is a MUST.

I had to complain about the LACK of hot water for the first 3 nights as Mike the "caretaker" lied to me and claimed the hot water is always ON. The 4th day I complained, he finally walked over to a cupboard and flip a switch inside. Apparently he only turns on the hot water when he showers in the morning. If you shower at night like me, you'll have to announce to him that you want to shower and WANT hot water - extremely inconvenient as he is not always around.

Lloyd the cleaner is great and helpful - he keeps the place really clean.

The supermarket closes early and is not open on Sundays.
Laundry can be done across the street for 6 euros per load.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on one floor and the hotel is surrounded by bars which are open until 6am so I don...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Stergos F, Owner at Domus Rodos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2015

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I value your feedback. Thank you also for your compliments for the cleaner, which I have passed on to him. I am aware of the issues with the nearby clubs, and am consistently working to try to combat this. I hope that this year the noise levels will be reduced. I have told my caretaker that the hot water needs to available 24/7 when guests are in the hotel. This year, in any case, I plan to install a brand new water-heating system.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights in May 2014. The room was adequate but the shower and toilet a little small for me also its a wet room with no shower curtain.

The Manager was helpful and he tried his best to accommodate our requests. The owner is reliable and also helpful.

Overall this hotel which is in the medieval city of Rhodes is a perfect location for those who like history. Probably suited for short stays and there is a night club nearby that did play music late into the night so get a room at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leozak

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, your feedback is important to me. I am pleased that my caretaker and I were able to be of help to you during your stay here.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My room was big and comfy enough for my needs. Bathroom was spartan, with a broken toilet seat and no shower curtain.
Unlike other reviewers I had no issues with noise, being there mid-week in the low season. On one night I could hear some music from the bar downstairs but ear plugs solved the problem.
However, my room was not cleaned once during my 4-day stay. Towels and sheets weren't changed either.
As I was the only guest for a couple of days, I had to ask for hot water to be turned on before taking a shower. That's not a problem per se. But a lot of water goes to waste because it has to run for several minutes before it actually gets warm.
Well, the room rate was very low, but I still expected better. The owner seems like a friendly chum but I'm not sure he cares about anything than being paid in advance. With hindsight I'd rather stay in the new part of town which has less of that cheap junk tourism that abounds in the Old Town.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is important to me. I am implementing changes at the hotel this year, in repsponse to comments such as yours. The man you met was my caretaker. I have now addressed with him the issue of asking for cash payment in advance - this is not our policy. I have also employed new cleaning staff. The hotel itself will be extensively refurbished this year - this will include new fixtures and fittings as well as a new water heating system.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

The host was fun and kind and the hostess was warmhearted. We paid the three night's payment in advance but had to leave one day earlier in some reason and the hostess woman kindly refund all the money. I said sorry and she said she understood my situation.

The room is cleaned daily.The bathroom is a bit small and has no curtain.
The view is good if you choose the street side of the room. The hot water did not come out unless you ask for the host.

Overall it was a good experience!

Room Tip: You have to close the window if you turn on the air conditioner.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stergos F, Owner at Domus Rodos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2015

Thank you for your kind review of the Domus Rodos Hotel. I value your comments. Please note that we are updating the water heating system this year. We look forward to welcoming you again whenever you visit Rhodes Old Town.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This Hotel is in the medieval city in Rhodes. A beautiful place so you would expect it to be traditional...... It was anything but. We checked in to the room late as our flight arrived at 10.00 pm, we weren't expecting much as it was a cheap overnight stop.

After having a great meal out, we got back to the hotel at around midnight. We needed to sleep, get up early for the 08.30 boat to Symi. That is when it started! In the next building, there was an all night disco that played grinding music (the mirror in the room was vibrating) until 07.00 am.

On the way out the owner was very apologetic and we felt sorry for him. I have worked in clubs singing for years, so loud music does not bother us but this was festival noise levels in a building the size of an old English Pub!

Never again!