All reviews bit dated would stay again ham fantastic location super chatel lift pre shower cheese linga skiing
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

Our group of 9 men stayed here for a short skiing break. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are generously proportioned but are somewhat dated. The shower was adequate. The breakfast was as you woyld expect in France. The best feature of this hotel is the location, being a short walk to the pretty village centre.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2018

We stayed in the large family room on the top floor. Location of the hotel is fantastic , only a 5 minute walk to the Super chatel lift and centre of town. The walk is also littered with bars and restaurants so plenty to see.

The views from our spacious room were fantastic.

We had very minimal contact with the staff ( which I like to be honest ) but the contact we did have was pleasant and they were very helpful .

The free ski bus stops right outside the hotel where you can travel to other resorts such as linga ( 5 mins ) or Pre de la joux ( 10 mins ) .

The only negatives to our stay were that the room was a little dirty. Dust covered surfaces and when one of our children ventured under the bed she came out with dust like dreadlocks ! There was also a single slipper under the bed from previous occupants which points to it never being cleaned.

The bathroom is also tiny with the shower head only reaching my chest area ( I'm 6 ft ) .

Apart from this the stay was enjoyable and I would stay again for the location etc.

I don't think you would regret staying here and I hope should the management see this review they would invest in a feather duster !

Chatel itself is gorgeous and I cannot wait to go back !!!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank John K
Reviewed 14 March 2017

The hotel is a little "tired" but offers cheap accommodation (compared to other hotels) in the centre of Chatel. The ski bus stops outside the hotel and a ski hire shop is 50 metres away. The Avalanche bar is 300m away. You can book for less than a week (when available) which is ideal for long weekend skiers. A tad noisy due to lack of noise insulation, if above the restaurant area, but would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rustyboy1963
Reviewed 9 March 2017

I stayed with my son for 5 nights. Whilst the staff were all very pleasant, it is fair to say, that the hotel is extremely dated in many areas.
Breakfast is sufficient, but with no variation, quickly becomes familiar.
We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was a good flavour and value for money.
The room was small and very dated. The hanging rail in the cupboard was about 40cm long, which is insufficient. A water leak into the cupboard, from above, concerned me, as the electricity breaker unit was in there too!
A broken shower head made for a challenge in the tiny bathroom.
The hotel is in a very good location and we had no issues with road noise, disturbance or quality of sleep.
An unheated ski room is available and seemed secure enough.
An error on my bill was not noticed until I had got home. Despite contacting Patrick (the owner/manager) I have not had the 110 euros refunded. errors are acceptable, but to keep the money after the error is discovered, is just wrong. I hope that Patrick can recover his reputation.
Would I stay again? Certainly not, without the refund being made. Otherwise, maybe.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Nobbydiesel
Reviewed 12 February 2017

Three of us arrived late on Thursday 2nd Feb, due to delay at Geneva airport, we arrived later than anticipated. Although there was nobody in reception, the response to the 'out of hours' bell allowed us to be let in & shown to our rooms by the friendly owner Patrick & a member of his staff. The forth member of our party arrived on Friday evening.
The five person room, 1x double, 3x singles & 2x bathrooms, was basic & could have done with more storage space. However, it was clean, there was hot water in abundance & the heating was very effective. The hotel, in general, was a time travel back to the seventies. All the public areas were very clean & tidy. As we were staying for four nights, we didn’t have the room serviced. There is a small bar, a large dining room & an area with sofas & a TV on the entrance level. The breakfast was continental with plenty of fresh croissants, bread & pain au chocolate plus loads of ham, cheese, yogurt & cereal. Fresh coffee was available with hat water to make tea.
The hotel is on the main bus route through Chatel & the bus stop is literally outside the hotel. An easy walk into town allows access to bars & restaurants. The ski/boot room is accessible through a second entrance & has a security code, no heated boot rail.
We ate in the hotel in the evening twice, indulging in the specials, plenty of good food at the reasonable price of 20 Euros. There is also a separate evening menu & a wine list.
Internet access is included in the cost of the room & worked very well for us.
Overall our stay, Thursday to Monday was a great success, contributed to by Patrick, his hotel staff & their friendliness. We had a great laugh & felt we got good value for money. Many chalets in the region will offer high-end toiletries & food served on slate in competition with each other to offer high class food & at gourmet level. For me, it's all about the skiing & having a nice place to rest your head. The hotel La Bergerie ticks the boxes for location, friendliness & price, however, don't expect Egyptian cotton sheets & the trappings of high-end chalet competition.

Room Tip: there is also a small studio apartment that sleeps 5/6
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends