“Eat here. Trust me.”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 29 May 2012

On day three of our trip, we ventured down the road a few miles on a tip from an online review, and this restaurant did not disappoint. Our first visit started with two of the largest mojitos I've ever seen (think fish bowl) and they were fresh and fantastic. One of the specials was a Thai filet, invented by the sous chef it turns out, and it was out of this world. My husband ordered the tuna steak and declared it the best tuna he'd ever tasted. We live on the coast so this was a declaration to take seriously. We walked home two fat and happy Americans and our bill danced around the $50 mark. On our seventh and final day we unanimously decided that we had to end our culinary experience with a trip back to Alma. I ordered the "best tuna my husband ever had" (and highly recommended by the Chilean chef) and quickly made the same declaration myself. My husband ordered the filet and ate every bite. Again two large mojitos and again two completely cleaned plates. Both the chef and sous chef (who also remembered me from the organic market and our previous visit!) spoke to us before, during and after dinner. The service on both occasions was friendly and prompt and showed a desire to ensure we had an enjoyable evening. How often do you feel like that?! OK, so you understand why I added that comment. If you are in Santa Teresa, Mal Pais, or Playa Carmen, drift past the soccer field toward the blue light. One of the best meals of my life for around $50 for two people. That's what I'm talking about.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

My boyfriend & I ate at ALMA two nights in a row on our recent trip to Santa Teresa and loved it. The restaurant is up a long driveway away from the dusty road and on a romantic, dimly lit verandah balcony. The food is DELICIOUS, as are the margaritas and mojitos. We had the Peruvian ceviche and the curry fish dish the first night, and the following night we tried the sushi and the seared tuna steak. Everything was wonderfully fresh and flavorful. We were also delighted by the friendly service and spent some time talking to the woman who owns the restaurant. (Note to fish/sushi lovers -- she has a contact at the fish market in Mal Pais who gives her the freshest catch every day.) This is definitely a MUST TRY for a romantic dinner in Santa Teresa.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

While staying at the hotel next door we ventured over to the Alma Restaurant for supper and had an excellent evening.

A small restaurant with a great, romantic vibe this place was one of the best parts of our trip. The servers were extremely friendly and made sure we were satisfied with every aspect of our visit.

The food was great too. We ordered the Angus beef steak and Chicken Thai Curry and both were excellent. The prepared drinks were great and this place is highly recommended if you're in the area.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We shared our first three nights as well as our first and last meal at Alma. We feel in love with the staff as well as the food!! My husband and I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant+lodging to all who visit Santa Teresa! A must off the menu are the Margaritas...out of this world. We will definitely be back!!

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We really enjoyed this restaurant. It didn't look like much from the road, but it had great atmosphere, good service and excellent food.