“Kick back and relax!!!”
Review of Kismet Inn

Kismet Inn
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed at Kismet for xmas holiday. This was my 8th trip to Belize in the last 2 years. My first stay at Kismet was in 2009. I have stayed in a few of the other places in Hopkins. I am a low budget traveler, so I have stayed in the other cheaper places in Hopkins. I have found that I have the best time when I stay at kismet. Trish and Elvis are great hosts and will do anything to make your stay an enjoyable one. I have been there *many* times when a guest from one of the high end resorts in the area stops in for a one of trish's home cooked meals and says it was a better meal than what they had at the resort. Many times I have seen the same guests come back for other meals. Some end up changing their vacation plans and staying at Kismet. Kismet is directly on the beach and I can say that nothing beats waking up in the morning to trish's fresh brewed coffee and going to lay in one of the hammocks to stare out at the calm sea. Talk about relaxation!!! Kismet has HOT showers unlike most of the other lower budget places in hopkins. I have stayed in the culture house for a week. It has a stove and a small refrigerator. My girlfriend was able to cook up some special meals she had wanted to cook.
I have stayed in the "suite" off the veranda. It has 2 private bedrooms, both with nice comfy beds. In the front room there are another 2 beds and a table/chairs. I have stayed in 2 of the rooms downstairs that open up to the beach. They are great too! I have taken the tours of the reef that have been offered and had a really enjoyable day. We were able to catch some nice fish that Elvis cleaned and trish cooked them for our dinner. There are bikes to use to tour the village on, or a quick trip to the grocery store. Best of all there is FREE WIFI!!! Internet is not a easy thing to find in Hopkins, and it is really nice to shot off a couple emails to my family back in the states to assure them I am fine!! lol

I love Kismet!!! For the money, you cannot beat it. Its laid back, no worries, I *always* meet interesting people from all over the world. The food is great. The fresh brewed coffee in the morning is great, and the beers are always cold! And I have found it to be a very romantic place, not sure what thats about, but hmmmmm it brings out the best in me!!! lol Kismet, meant to be!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank seahorse21
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Kismet Inn

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Kismet for the weekend. Over the years, I have stayed there at least a dozen times. For a great dollar value, this is a great choice. Located right on the beach, Trish and Elvis will go out of their way to make you feel at home. I must add, that I usually will eat supper there at least one or two nights whenever I stay. Although the evening meal is usually not ready until 7/730, it is always worth the wait. This time I savoured fresh lobster in a hollandaise sauce, with a delicious vegie salad, home-baked wheat bread, steamed vegies and brown rice. It was wonderful... Kismet offers various accomodations - there is a private "Culture House" locacted behind the lodge, which is fully contained for cooking. In the main building, there is a large rental off of the veranda, which has 2 private bedrooms w/fans, private bathroom and another large/spacious front room with 3 single beds, table and chairs, etc. I was impressed with the great range of reading material in the room. Freshly cut flowers were also waiting for me on the table! There are also a few other private rooms on ground level, which open up onto the beach. If you are looking for great prices, great location and great food (Trish is also well-versed in vegetarian cooking), then the Kismet is the place to be! Check it out for yourself!

Room Tip: For groups or family, check out the private area off of the front veranda that I speak about in my r...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Blondieinbelize
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My daughters and I wanted to stay at Kismet..We arrived in the middle of the afternoon, and the Lady "welcomed" us in a very strange way...She had just painted her hens in blue, she said we were sent to her by a Spirit or something...Actually, she seemed to be so "high" that we just went away. We didn't feel safe at all in this place. (We are used to "layed back" places and do not enjoy all inclusive, buth at Kismet...it was really "too much". ) Instead, we found a wonderful place in All Season Guest House where Ingrid welcomed us and made our stay unforgettable.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank isabelle s
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at Kismet Inn. First, the positive: I'm not sure you can find a much cheaper beach front location in Belize. In addition Trish and Elvis were very welcoming. They went above and beyond to make us feel at home. It was almost like living with a host family.Trish offered to make us dinner for about $11 US each. It was worth it--she made fresh bread (my boyfriend is still talking about it days after), two different kinds of fish, a delicious salad, and sauteed veggies. There was water and beer for purchase. The atmosphere was very chill. The two dogs were so sweet and the roaming chickens were fun to watch. We took long walks up and down the beach as well as several swims. Now, the negative: While the rooms are really inexpensive, they are very basic and rustic. My boyfriend had no issues with our dark and dreary room but I have to admit I might have paid more for something a bit nicer. The room was by no means cozy--it was dark and the bathroom could have used a good cleaning--especially the toilet. I did appreciate the mosquito bed net which allowed me to sleep without worrying about mosquitoes or other beach bugs. But overall, I was not thrilled with the room. In conclusion, you'll love this place if you don't care what your room looks like and just want a friendly place to chill on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsAoKay
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This was my first trip to Belize, so I didn't know what to expect. I like to stay in authentic off-the-beaten path kind of places. Seeing how this place was about 3/8 mile from the center of the village, I already knew it was off-the-beaten path. Prior to arriving I had been in contact with the owner and agreed to bring her a couple of items from the u.s. that she had requested as well as reserving a room for 3 nights. I walked from the village to the place and was surprised/disappointed to learn that the owner had left and was not due back in the near future. Fortunately, one of the "resident guest", Conan, kindly took on the role as innkeeper and got me the keys to the hut. Thank you Conan for helping me out. (It was hot and humid and I didn't really feel like walking all over the village looking for another place to stay).

When this place was built (about 12 years ago) it may have been a decent place to stay. Lack of care and maintenance are taking its toll on this place. The window shutters in the hut were totally insecure (unless you consider string secure). This made me uncomfortable because on the first day I learned from the one other guest there that his laptop and cell phone were stolen from his room. A window screen is not enough to prevent a thief from stealing anything he can get his hands on.

Food- not much of it and never knew if and when it would be ready. I went to the store and got snack stuff to get me by. If you do stay there (or anywhere in Hopkins) find Ron the baker man. Awesome homemade breads, rolls, pastries, etc.

After 2 nites in this place (and no other guests to interact with), I walked into the village and stayed at the Funky Dodo hostel. This is THE place to stay. A manager/owner on site who works his butt off to make sure all of his guests are comfortable and well taken care of.

If you are a budget traveler or a curious/adventurous traveler, skip Kismet and stay with Will at the Funky Dodo. You'll be much, much happier there.

Room Tip: I don't know that there are any good rooms there, but I would not recommend staying in the hut...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo