“Wish we were still there in Penang!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Living Room Cafe Bar & Gallery

Living Room Cafe Bar & Gallery
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 14
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Wish we were still there in Penang!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

THE LIVING ROOM
Aimee & Ben......What can we say, but a huge thank you for making our stay so welcoming and a pleasureable experience.
You will not find anyone in the whole of Malaysia to match this couple's hospitality and their unique friendliness.
They introduced us to many people whilst we were visiting the Living Room, of which we hope we can call our friends. We never heard anyone complain and most nights, there was no room at the inn!!
They have an eating area and then you can move to a comfortable seating area, should you wish to remain there for the rest of the evening.
The food is excellent, thus sampling the majority of the menu, we can honestly say, we never had a bad experience. Unlike that of Fantasy Ribs!!!!
So, if you're staying in Batu Ferringhi, Penang, make sure you go to the Living Room and tell Aimee & Ben, with a smile........... that Mike & Gill sent you.
We wish you a very happy and pleasant holiday

2 Thank Gill K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
perth
“Great food nice owners :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We visited the Living Room twice during our Penang trip in Feb and found this little gem.Owners(didnt get their names)were friendly and will go thru the hassle of making some special drinks or food even though its not in the menu.We had the house special squid,lovely.the fried kway tiao was also yum n a couple of other stuffs..overall a very pleasant dining experience n to top it up,it has got a very clean kitchen-at least u know u r getting clean yummy food :)

1 Thank sunbabe_9
Chicago
“I let my expectations get the better of me -- It was just a diner in Penang”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I wanted to give this place a single circle rating, but it wouldn't be fair. It wasn't bad at all. I just thought it would have excellent food. I am NOT a foodie and I wasn't expecting anything fancy, but just good quality food and it really wasn't. It is just like a greasy spoon, breakfast place or diner that you could find in any rural place in the United States or Canada. A place to get steak and eggs or a sandwich only it had Asian hawker styled food as well. It was fine, but due to it's number 1 spot on tripadvisor and all the rave reviews, I thought the food would be...better. We tried their house specialties -- some Asian, some Western. It was like food from a hawker stall in a cleaner environment. Don't get me wrong, I love hawker food. It's cheap and tasty, but it's not using high quality ingredients. Everything we had was like that. I had a rib eye...and it was the kind of rib eye you have to pour A1 sauce all over so that it has taste -- just like you'd get at a truck stop or a diner. Maybe this kind of food is a rarity in Penang, but there was nothing impressive about the food there at all. The atmosphere was pleasant. The staff were friendly and attentive (and knew most of the patrons there). I would say that the average age of the patrons on the night I went was about 68 years old. That takes into account the babies and children present to bring the average down. It was like a Denny's on a weekday -- most customers were pensioners who obviously frequented the Living Room often and loved everything about it. Living Room food was probably a nice break from the nursing home food. As I sat in the Living Room, I was wondering if the kind elderly folks there (who were obviously loving the place) could actually log on to tripadvisor to rate it themselves, or if they had their grandchildren do it for them... It would probably be a cool place to have breakfast and the food was not bad -- it could almost be described as home cooking, but I'm confident that most people are capable of making better food at home. They offered three types of beer in bottles or cans and some house wines. Needless to say, this is not the kind of place that accepts credit cards. Most dishes ranged from MYR6 to MYR30. It's a cozy place with lots of greenery and friendly staff, dedicated regular patrons (some mentioned they have been frequenting since the early 90s) and diner/hawker type food at reasonable prices. I'm not the type of person that regularly eats at fancy Michelin rated restaurants or spends any time contemplating what vintage might be good on the wine lists, but I can confidently say there is nothing gourmet about the food at Living Room and if you are looking for truly good , quality, delicious food you won't find it here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mechatorakichi
Melbourne
“Very friendly people and nice and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The owners are really lovely people that take the time to come and have a chat and get to know you. Nice food that is geared towards the westerner. Well worth the visit. They were always busy and are closed on Wednesdays. We enjoyed the sizzling chicken and the squid was nice also. Very well priced. A main meal costs about $4-$5 and a bottle of wine was $25 - we paid approximately $45 for 3 of us with the wine...I didn't try the wine but my friends said it was good - from Chile.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank xited07
Kent
“Very nice food and spotlessly clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We went on trip advisor and we had lovely meal . My wife had Kaptains chicken and I had sizzling chicken , both meals were lovely and fresh and the price of the beer was reasonable (Tiger beer) 8 ringgit . The owners sat and talked to us for an hour at the end of the night , it was a really nice evening. Many thanks to Ben & Amy

1 Thank BonesyKent