US$ 186
US$ 149
  • Beachfront
Amaite Hotel & Spa(Holbox Island)
US$ 226
US$ 118
BestDay.com
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 133/night.

Casa BlatHa(Holbox Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 60
US$ 54
  • Restaurant
Ca'Rita Hotel & Suites Mexico(Holbox Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 113
US$ 110
Casa del Viento(Holbox Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 132
US$ 129
  • Restaurant
Balam Eco Camping(Holbox Island)(Great Value!)
US$ 20
Villas Flamingos(Holbox Island)
US$ 506
US$ 455
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmaria joseempanadasyoga spaceblack beanssqueezed orange juicegolf cartmexican eggspineapple and papayasurrounding landscapeceiling fans and air conditioningenglish is spokenin townlaid backisland takesauthentic mexican feelhuevos rancherosisla holbox
Reviewed 7 October 2017

If you are like me you spend hours trying to make a decision about where to stay; well, stop looking , this is the ONLY place on Holbox I would stay. I agonized over booking this or one of a few other places, then when we were there I went and looked at those other places, and was so happy that we chose the AMAZING Palapas del Sol
We had a front facing room- gorgeous view, the best bed of our month travels in Mexico, unbelievably delicious food ( we never ate anywhere else- why would you??) great little bar with real drinks (real fruit, a very healthy pour), perfectly clean grounds and beach (which is definitely not the case at many of the other hotels, including the expensive ones), the perfect distance from town- an easy 15 minute walk down the road, or even better, down the beach. The "town" seems like it might be loud at night, and was not clean like around Palapas del Sol. Importantly. for a beach location, by far the best beach loungers with thick comfy cushions, under beautiful big palapas that I have ever seen or laid on.

BEST of ALL...the one thing I haven't gotten to- The INCREDIBLE staff, and I mean incredible. Martin, the manager is extraordinary -he knows how to run a hotel. Eddie the bartender and the ladies who cook some damn good food, all fantastic. I do not know when these people sleep, they are always there to help, pour a drink, tell a story, and on the magical nights, play the guitar and sing. Adriana the owner is just lovely and gives all due credit to her staff.
This place is magical. We don't go back to the same place very often, well other than Paris, but even there we change locations I can not wait to go back to Palapas del Sol.

Room Tip: pick an oceanfront room, the views are amazing, and the rooms are bright and the deck is huge.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank traveltoes
Reviewed 16 July 2017

My husband and I spent the last 8 days at Palapas del Sol and it was an awesome experience. Booking was simple- we communicated with Maria Jose primarily to reserve our room, make our deposit, etc. She was also very helpful in the weeks leading up to our trip, answering any questions we had and helping to arrange transport from Cancun to the hotel. (BTW, that involves a car ride from Cancun to Chiquila, followed by a ferry ride to Holbox, then a golf cart ride to the hotel. Maria Jose took care of all of it for us and it went flawlessly.) When we arrived, check-in was simple. We were given the run-down of hours for the restaurant, bar, pool, etc. and then given our room key. The room (King Bungalow) was spacious but cozy at the same time. The decor was beautiful and rustic. We had a 4-drawer bureau and a couple of shelves in the wall for our clothes, etc. There were books in the room (and in the restaurant) to borrow for beach reading. Although, strangely there were many in German, a few in Spanish and hardly any in English. No matter, we found a few we liked and read to our hearts content.

After dropping our things off in the room, we went straight to the restaurant for our "Empanadas Bienvenidos." There were many choices of fillings and several options of beverages to accompany the empanadas. They were made fresh for us, and were piping hot and delicious when they arrived at our table. We enjoyed the empanadas with the various salsas that came with them. Be careful of the habanero! Spicy, but SOOOO good!

Each day we stayed at the hotel, we enjoyed the hotel breakfast. I almost always ordered huevos rancheros or Mexican eggs (eggs scrambled with tomato and onion, and black beans and avocado on the side). Breakfast also included fresh fruit salad (usually papaya, cantaloupe and pineapple) as well as freshly brewed hot coffee, and fresh squeezed orange juice. We literally watched the juice being squeezed fresh for us each morning.

After breakfast, we'd lounge on the beach. The great thing about Palapas del Sol are the- you guessed it- Palapas. They are open-sided, thatched-roof structures on the beach with lounge chairs, and small tables. The sun is HOT and the only way to stay on the beach all day is to find a little shade. Some of the Palapas have hammocks hanging in them as well, so you're sure to be comfortable all day, no matter your preference. We would take several walks on the beach in the morning, swim in the shallow ocean water (it was coolest first thing in the morning, like bath water by lunch time) and relax on our lounge chairs. In the early afternoon, we would order food and drinks at the bar. Eddie and Martin often tended bar and they mix STRONG margaritas with a smile. We would almost always order lunch from the bar, which would be delivered to us in our Palapa. The guacamole, fresh fish ceviche and chicken quesadillas were our favorites. The portions were generous and everything was delicious and so fresh.

As for activities on the island, there isn't much to do, but any excursions can be arranged through the hotel. We chose to do a Whale Shark excursion and Maria Jose arranged everything for us. Because we had to leave the hotel for the excursion before breakfast would be served, she made sure to have the kitchen pack a bag of food for each of us. They left the food in a cooler behind the bar, and gave us instructions on where to find it, so we wouldn't go hungry on our journey to the Whale Sharks.

The staff at this hotel is warm, welcoming and very accommodating. The hotel itself is clean and beautifully decorated. Every bungalow is painted a different bright color and has at last one hammock to enjoy. The rooms are fully air conditioned and the beds are so comfortable. The housekeeping staff create little creatures and vignettes on your bed using your fresh towels and blankets. It's so fun to come back to your room in the afternoon to see what fun creation they've made that day.

If we ever return to Holbox, I will definitely want to stay at Palapas del Sol again. We saw many hotels along the beach, but none seemed to have the same charm as Palapas, or nearly as nice a stretch of beach. I literally have nothing negative to say about this hotel.

One thing I noted throughout our trip that did not bother us in the slightest, but might bother someone else was that the hours of the restaurant for breakfast and lunch seemed to be a little "loose." We were told at check-in that breakfast started at 7:00. We are early risers, so 7:00 is even a little late for us to be stirring. Often the doors to the restaurant were closed until 7:30 or later. We never minded all that much- we'd just relax on the beach until it opened.

This hotel has a small, but very dedicated staff. You see the same faces through your entire trip and I often wondered, "When do they leave?" The staff was always there. In fact, Eddie, who would bring us our lunch and afternoon drinks and who tended bar all afternoon was the same person who waited on us at breakfast. Martin was everywhere, doing everything all the time. He obviously puts a lot of care and effort into maintaining and running this gem of a hotel. If you have the chance to visit Holbox, Palapas del Sol is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Renee B
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Palapas Del sol is one of the most beautiful and untouched (so far) places on earth. The hotel is on an island 1.5 hours from Cancun plus a 25 minute ferry ride.
You will stay in a gorgeous bungalow and eat lucscious local foods. The water is pristine; the accommodations are clean and right on the beach! The staff is warm and easy to work with. The only drawback is that aside from the sleeping wiarters, the accommodations are not air conditioned. Be prepared to sip your cold drink in 'real' island weather. So worth it!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank joannf827
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Because I am obsessed with maps, I spend a lot of time zooming in and zooming out... wondering who lives there and what the air smells like. Luckily, I find great places like Holbox Island, which not a single person who I've told where I went had heard of it prior (perfect!!). But more than that, I found the perfect place to spend my time there, at Palapas del Sol. Greeted by Martin with a beer and homemade empanadas of my choice, I was instructed (kindly) to sit down, relax, and get comfortable. Martin was so kind the entire time I was there, helping me to plan the couple activities I was interested in. I didn't have to lift a finger or make a phone call. I just showed up when I was told to be ready. He also sang and played guitar for me one night at the beach bar and played my favorite song. This may not seem like much, but when you travel solo, it's nice to have friends you never met before. I also love when people truly love what they do; it's not just a "job." Although some of the staff doesn't speak as well in English as Martin, they make an effort, and it gave me a chance to stumble through Spanish as well. The food and the drinks are amazing, enough said there!! My room was clean and cozy, and I looked forward to the different towel animals every day! I walked literally about 20 seconds from my front door to the beach, which had amazing calm emerald green waters that you can walk out seemingly forever and still stand. The beachfront is well maintained, with adequate hammocks, beds, chairs and shade for guests. You can be served food and drink on the beach if you like as well. There's paddle boarding, horseback riding, golf cart and bicycle rentals, or shopping the different markets and shops in the center of town. It was super hard to leave this place, but that only makes me want to come back again. Thanks so much to all the staff for making my time so enjoyable!!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank caseyv25113
AdrianafromHolbox, Propietario at Hotel Casa Palapas del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Thank you very much for your wonderful recommendation in your review. I have shared your review with all the staff and asked Martin to translate it for his colleagues that do not speak english yet. Eloisa, Maria Jose and Reyna from reception all do speak perfect english and Eddy and Karen make serious efforts to learn english everyday. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to be able to receive you again.

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

This hotel takes place in the quiet and intimate area of holbox. 1.3 km from the main street.
#The staff is very welcoming
#we got the room before 3 because it wasnt full..
#the bar has a nice variety of dishes
To have guring the day such as ceviche, guacamole, pasta, drinks and juice.
#the rooms are super clean and equipped with air conditioning and fans.
#the beach is nice and small but its enough for us..
#Breakfast included fresh juice, coffe/tea, scrambled eggs, fruits, avocado and beans.. shef can make pancakes or French toast..
The place is perfect to relax and have some time with your partner..
I hope it will stay this way.
Loved it