All reviews the river wonderful country explore the island nature cook dominica huts jungle caribbean wishes hurricane insects roads
Reviewed 7 September 2018

Traveling by myself it was great full all of the time. I got to meet some great people. It was rustic like I prefer it. The country is still recuperating from Hurricane Maria, so there isn't wi-fi or electricity, they are on a generator about 1/2 the time. But it's easy to get around the country from this location. I really enjoyed traveling around on the local buses (vans). But leave your fear at home the drivers here are fast, but it seems very few accidents. Also very safe to be here alone. The river across the road is great for an early morning swim or after a day running around.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed about the same different view higher up hill
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Norun49, Ägare at Hibiscus Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Thank you so much for taking your time, we enjoyed to host you at Hibiscus Valley.

Im happy you were comfortable at Hibiscus Valley. With the staff and rooms and got new friends. We have quite few single traveler and they melting in our athmosphere. Yes it is a period of recovering but Dominican are a very patient people.
I use to say about the no wifi – double holiday, time to enjoy and reflect.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Like luxury camping. The flora is beautiful, the river tour is adjacent to the property, and although lots of fun, I knew the $25 was exorbitant. For the amount of people that take that "tour", the construction on the huts could be improved to be more flush as I felt it is somewhat sideways, and bare. At night, the bathroom becomes the host to each insect that wishes a nighttime home, so I must close the door and make my visits quick. The ceiling was nearly completely covered, even though I kept the light off.
The finishes are just all rough, no attention to detail, not enough care.
The meals, however, are great. No choice, but all tasty. Expensive, but tasty. With the cost, where is the investment going back into the property?

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo

Thank you for you taking your time.
Well Im glad you enjoyed the rivertubing. well prices is always a discussion, but in Dominica our prices is well balanced.
We have done a very big improvement since the hurricane passed, it has been very expensive to rebuild, roof missing, hot water tanks blowen away, re wire the whole place, matresses and yes you name it and the difficulty to get material and new things in Dominica I think we at Hibiscus Valley have done a fantastick move. Hibiscus Valley had the roof back on amongst the first.
Other way we do say our nature bungalows is built in a Dominican country style, it is simple but all your need is there. If one need more comfort we have 3 upgraded rooms.
The insects warn us it will be rain, that happens now and again and they are a lot, nothing that is normally there. We at Hibiscus tell out guests that is it a natrual fenomen when out in the nature.
No as I said the details as you mentioned and no care I have wrote earlier. We are still re build Hibiscus Valley and Dominica after the storm which passed around a year ago, with a speed one cant imagen
72 meter in a second with cyclone inside it.
The cost of a meal is a normal gueshouse price. Of course you can get a meal by the road for much less, but we are a certified restaurant and good quality food with a local touch and a health certified. As you mentioned it tasted good. We have a mail dish and if one have other preference we do serve that too, but we do not serve meat.
Hope to see you again in a few years you will see a different Dominica.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

I really really wanted to like Hibiscus. Dominica is a wonderful country and it needs all the help it can get in its recovery. However, despite some good moments, my overall experience at Hibiscus was underwhelming.

It started with the airport pickup. I had not received a confirmation to my initial request so I emailed back the day before arriving. I received a somewhat curt response confirming my pickup. However, no one was awaiting me upon arrival. When I called the number listed on the booking confirmation, there was no answer. A text message was also not replied to. I eventually took a taxi. When I arrived at the property, no apology was offered.

The property is in the jungle, which is part of its appeal. However, mosquitoes, spiders, and beetles are prevalent. All three bite and I managed to be eaten by all three during the course of my 2 night stay.

The property is still not connected back to the grid as of Aug 2018. This has a few implications. First, I would recommend planning to be out of your room during the day, as the generator shuts down between 10am-5pm, meaning the fans in the rooms are not operating, turning the rooms into mini ovens. Second, the wifi is not operating at anytime. And finally, no credit cards are accepted on property, but only with a drive into town. All three of these would have been fine if informed in advance, but the no fan during the day was especially disappointing as I was hoping to take it easy my first day and hanging out outside was leading to too many bug bites.

I also found the food underwhelming and not a great value. I did not expect haute cuisine — I’d spend the last few weeks traveling around the Caribbean — but both the lunches ($16 USD) and dinners ($20+ USD) were neither particularly compelling in taste nor large in size. There is generally one option for lunch and one for dinner. Unfortunately the only other dining options are at least a 30 minute walk away.

Finally, if you are to stay at Hibiscus, I would highly recommend renting a car. There’s really nothing to do within walking distance of the resort and the guided tours are quite pricey (most are $70+ USD)

On the upside, the location definitely felt remote and natural and some of the staff were friendly. But overall I cannot recommend this resort given my experience.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
HibiscusValley, Manager at Hibiscus Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Good day,

we really appreciate you staying with us.We are very sorry that your stay wasn't as expected. We are back to nature so bugs etc we try our best but to keep them out but its very difficult to totally keep them out. Also very sorry for the pick up. You are sadly one of the few guest who did not appreciate our dinner or generally our cuisine.
Thankfully we will be back on the grid in the next few days so electricity will be available again at any time. Please dont forget last year we got hit from a major hurricane so its not in our hands when we will be connected back to the grid but we bought a big generator so at least we have electricity on our property.

So we hoping to see you again in the future.

Dominican regards,

Kevin Burkhardt

Reviewed 7 June 2018

I had the pleasure of staying for 5 months.Nestled in a quiet green valley next to a river is the setting for this wonderful place. The accommodation is clean and comfortable and the staff are very nice and go the extra mile to make your stay pleasant, They have a fantastic chef Nigel who creates excellent dishes.Its a peaceful location with beautiful beaches as close as a 20 minute drive and the local village is just 5 to 10 minutes away. Great for single travellers couples families and groups. wonderful atmosphere an overload on your senses.

Room Tip: all the rooms are unique
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Kai Q
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Sorry, have to change to English. From meeting Nigel at the Airport, until a sad goodbye, everything was interesting, fun and mostly sunny! The rainy jungle walk is the one we will talk about the most, I have not laughed like that in ages. The staff is incredible, from breakfast with Kristina in charge to Nigels dinners the food was incredible, but most of all we really appreciated the friendliness, not only to us but to other staff, and neighbors up and down the road

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Norun49, Ägare at Hibiscus Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Thank you for taking your time to write about Hibiscus Valley Inn and your stay.

I glad you enjoyed your stay and we all do our best to make you have a good time. I glad you like our local dominican atmospher and
ofcourse the food with the local touch. A good laugh is so good.