“Poor social distancing”

Mary Stevens Coffee Lounge
Ranked #10 of 21 Quick Bites in Stourbridge
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 7
Description: We are an independent coffee house bringing our love of coffee and good food to Mary Stevens Park, Stourbridge.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First visit today and was disappointed with the lack of social distancing. Eventhough there was an orderly queuing system outside, too many people were allowed in the cafe to make orders. I'm not sure why customers were not politely asked to wait outside and then called into the cafe- one customer out, one in. This would have avoided lots of people (over 10 people when I was in today) waiting in a relatively small space. It's a shame because the coffee was nice but I did not feel safe at all.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (105)

Reviewed 18 February 2021 via mobile

This is our local go to place with the friendliest staff even when they are under pressure, it gets so busy!! They always have time for an hello and to speak to my daughter. The coffee is lovely too. A gem of a cafe in our beautiful park. Can't wait till you open properly so I can have my halloumi brekkie!!

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 18 August 2020

I've been here a few times over the last few weeks with my family.

Tables are only outside due to Covid but the waiting system for a table needs to be worked on.

We watched from our table as people were told repeatedly to wait on the grass if they were waiting for a table.

There are two areas of grass though, there needs to be a clearly signed area so everyone knows where to wait. We watched people bickering over tables because someone tried to get a table before them.

Staff are a little standoffish, I watched a member of staff tell someone off for not waiting on the correct area of grass and I felt so bad for them.

Food- twice I have had the bacon now and both times it has been extremely fatty and not much actual bacon. My partner had the pancakes and said they were nice.

Drinks are fine but I do find that there is a long wait most times.

It is a lovely area to sit and socialise etc but I feel the food and drink is overpriced for what it is . We have only eaten here over the past few weeks because of the 50% off. Normally, we would only have a drink whilst we are at the park and then an ice cream.

Date of visit: August 2020
1  Thank Feeltherain
Reviewed 8 August 2020

We come here most weekends and have had the odd blip but overall its been pretty good, sadly not today. From beginning to end the service or lack of was shocking.
So, I ordered on Hopt which we have done since coming back after lock down. The young lad that came out with the drinks took them to the wrong table, then when he realised it was table 7 he may well of just threw the drinks over us the way he put them down and walked off (no sugars or spoon), that got my back up but hey ho I went in and got them myself no big deal (I must admit I always find the mannerisms of this guy quite brash).
Its just typical that this morning was the worst possible morning for things to go wrong as we were hoping to be in due to other commitments. We sat there and watched other tables getting their order who had come in after us, so I went in to check out what was wrong. I think the lady I spoke to is the Manager and she is usually so friendly but was obviously having a bad morning. She told me that there was a problem with the till and she would have to manually send my order through to the kitchen. At this point after waiting half an hour for just porridge and granola I would expect a drink on the house by way of an apology but all I got was a sour face, I should of just cancelled the order and got a refund.
It gets worse, the pastry we ordered came out and again they tried to give it to the table behind us!
We sat and waited a bit longer, the final straw was when they took out a couple of porridge's to another table. I called the waitress over (who I believe is the Manager) and explained that we couldn't wait any longer to which she snapped that's fine you can take them away!
A couple of minutes later she came out with a brown takeaway bag and an insincere apology.
So, we arrived at just after 8.00 am and left at 8.50 am with a takeaway bag and a bee in my bonnet.
Sorry to say that we wont be back.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 29 February 2020 via mobile

Went here today to kill a couple of hours and spend some time with family. Went to go into the coffee shop itself, but was VERY busy (typical) and there was no room for a pram. We decided to sit outside in the sheltered area as it was still covered from the wind and drizzle of rain. When my parents got to the window to order 3 lattes (that's all we wanted) we were refused order because we didnt have a dog?! I guess having a 3 week old baby with us isn't "good enough" excuse to have a coffee.
They also refused to hand hot drinks through the serving hatch to a woman, and asked her to send her son round to collect them. Her son was no older than 6, and she was holding a dog (too big for the 6 year old to hold). As most people with common sense would, she refused to send her young son in to carry the hot drinks out.
Absolutely disgraced at the way we were turned away today for not having a dog, and the lack of organisation the staff had! I understand its busy, but still, it was 3 lattes, that's all we wanted! Such a poor first impression I had of this place, and will be reluctant to return!

Date of visit: February 2020