All reviews new owners hay on wye old building evening meal beautiful building lamb poster bed room was clean and comfortable modern facilities warm welcome full english breakfast welsh border breakfast was excellent tasty food sticky toffee pudding the en suite bathroom owners and staff
Reviewed 1 November 2018

The building is fascinating. Built in 1380 and extended later it has been a pilgrims hostel and then a drovers inn. We had a lovely panelled room in the old part of the building. I especially enjoyed the view of the hillside opposite with its black and white sheep. The bathroom decor was rather dated but you could not really complain about the facilities. We were above the bar which made it a bit noisy on the Saturday night, but despite that we fell asleep before the bar closed. Sunday night was much quieter. Both nights we dined in the restaurant and enjoyed the food. Breakfast was very good but perhaps the best of all were the views of the Wye valley. The staff made us feel welcome. I would certainly consider returning as I very much enjoy that part of the world.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2018

Stayed at this quaint country hotel Saturday 6/10/18 with stunning views all around.
Was very lucky as I was given beautiful, big,clean,cosy room with beams, armchairs, comfortable double bed including hot drinks facilities The bathroom was nice with pretty pictures on wall and to lie in hot bath after day horse riding, soaking my aching bones was very much appreciated.
That evening my companion riders and I were served delicious food at the restaurant. Food for me was first class quality
(I ordered sea bass with mussels and tasty sauce and apple toffee crumble with ice cream)
It was presented beautifully on plate and served by lovely chatty young waitress who went out of her way to look after us.
The evening was enjoyable by having whole group of Welsh clay pigeon shooters coming to celebrate their event which made the pub very busy and lively.. (Manage to play scramble to)
Breakfast was good and filling We were served by kind waitress who took our picnic order for day as we were all going back horse riding in hills.
The owner/ manager collected my payment.
I took my lunch out of the bag at reception and notice was given huge orange which would not fit in saddle bag nor did I carry knife to cut it. Was inappropriate.
Asked him if I could please swap it for an apple and was told ran out of apples.
Was so surprised afterwards by person's attitude and tone of voice towards me when I asked if maybe, I could be given another fruit. packet of crisps or biscuits instead (This spoilt my morning riding and lunchtime picnic break completely which is shame as day was beautiful.)
If running hospitality business one should not put ones frustration and impatience out on customer. .
I feel I could not therefore give top marks on review Hopefully this will not happen again

Room tip: My beautiful room was above busy pub. Used earplugs until 23.30 when it was quiet again
Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2018

Third visit this year and yet again we all had clean plates at the end of the meal. The food was absolutely beautiful. We were a party of 9 and all the food came out within seconds of each other. Can't fault it and can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and had a lovely time.
Room was clean and comfortable. It was in the back if the hotel and the room was quiet and cool.
The choice at breakfast was good with both hot and cold options.
We also ate in the restaurant in the evening and the good was delicious especially the homemade bread starter.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Had a lovely stay on a Sunday evening. Comfortable room but was above the kitchen, so noisy at times. The bathroom was modern with a nice shower. Dinner choice and quality was very good, and breakfast was excellent. Beautiful location and views across the Wye valley

Room tip: Room 8 is above the kitchen
Date of stay: August 2018