All reviews cooking school wine tasting cooking class grand piano guided tour cooking course breakfast room ancient abbey unusual place communal areas day hiking monk's cells highly recommend you visit beautifully manicured gardens honesty bar delightful experience whole building
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent five nights here in September. The historic building oozes character - amazing period details in gorgeous public rooms. The gardens are also stunning and the views across surrounding countryside quite extraordinary. While we didn't use it, the pool looked lovely. Plus the breakfasts are without doubt fabulous - the abbey is also a cookery school - the spinach and ricotta tart is to die for! Most of the staff are unremittingly friendly and helpful.
Somewhat less positive was our room, while fairly quiet, was rather dark and a tad depressing. Period furniture is great but most of the drawers in our room didn't open! The bathroom was very dated, and the shower had undoubtedly seen better days. Plus, though billed as a 3* hotel, most evenings the public rooms were shut off for private functions and the stream of visitors touring the building by the hour means you don't get much privacy - and are confined to your room.
I'd certainly recommend staying here because of the character of the building - it's well worth it. I'd suggest you opt for the most expensive room you can afford - and you may avoid the shortcomings we had with our room.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartinC132
Reviewed 23 August 2018

As long as you don't go expecting Badia a Coltibuono to be a full service hotel, I think anyone would really enjoy their time there. It is a beautiful location (in a historic monastery that has been converted into a winery with rooms) with very friendly staff. It does not have a 24-hour reception and some of the services you would get in a hotel, but makes up for it in other ways. It feels more like staying as a guest in a private home than in a hotel – for example there is an honesty bar and you might find yourself having a swim alongside one of the owners. The on-site restaurant is genuinely superb and serves a great selection of the vineyard's own wines plus others from nearby. I also thoroughly recommend the half-day cookery course. The gardens of the Badia are exceptionally beautiful and and the pool is large and was generally pretty quiet while we were there. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable (converted from the monk's cells), but there's no air-conditioning. Communal areas of the house are stunning - some have historic frescoes. It's about an hour's drive from Florence airport and in a really good area for visiting other Chianti vineyards and Siena. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 August 2018

Staying at this thousand year old abbey was amazing, felt like spending a night at a museum. Our room was beautiful, quite large and very comfortable. My husband and I also spent a lot of time in the gardens which are absolutely spectacular. There were other guests at the abbey (we learned at breakfast) but we had the grounds pretty much to ourselves, took a million photos. We did wine tasting and tour (thanks to our amazing guide, Giulia!), the old crypts which are now wine cellars are a must during your visit! And we had dinner at the restaurant next door (it was one of the best dinners I’ve had while in Italy! The food and the views exceeded my expectations). Highly recommend this special place, I will never forget our time here. Oh, and the air was the sweetest, so clean and fresh. I wish we had one more day here so I could do a cooking class (they offer it but I didn’t have time).

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Set in the foothills with views on the edge of Chianti, Badia a Coltibouno offers delicious food and wine sourced only from Tuscany. An unforgettable evening and great service from the team. A walk around the Monastery is a must. Also, there is a small playground for the kids so the adults can enjoy time together!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2018

This place is best experienced if you have at least 24 hours to relax in the breathtaking surroundings. We had one of the apartments in the abbey, Fattore, for 3 people and it was amazingly quaint, overlooking the gardens, and practical. Rustic charm. We got there early to get a tour of the abbey and take the cooking class with Benedetta. She gives a very practical class with recipes that you could actually duplicate in your own kitchen. The class is complete with wine-tastings and a lovely lunch. We then went for a walk in the gardens and relaxed in the pool. We had an amazing dinner at the restaurant, but the reserve wine we had with lunch was not available in the restaurant, which was strange. It is better than the one they offer in the restaurant. Everyone associated with the abbey from Patrizzia, the Hospitality Manager to Tanja, the Receptionist to the restaurant reservations and serving staff is top notch without being stuffy. The cooking class is one of the highlights of our 18 day driving trip through Europe. Love Benedetta and her lovely helpers. What a memorable experience! To top it off...they let our dog go anywhere and were SO accommodating to him while we took our cooking class!

Room Tip: The apartment Fattore is exceptional, quaint and quiet
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family