All reviews ravioli charming hotel would stay here again quiet location fell in love wild boar on arrival day trip chianti region sandro di pools roads wellness grounds property florence
Reviewed 17 July 2018

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for 6 nights - situated off the beaten track in a very rural, quiet location. It was just perfect to wind down. A small boutique hotel, originally a mill which has been very cleverly made into a fabulous hotel. The restaurant was excellent - the staff especially were fabulous - a family owned business and you could tell they really wanted the best for us. Brilliantly located close to a lot of the best wineries and also very close to the city of Siena. We really enjoyed our stay in the peace and tranquility of this charming hotel.

Room Tip: We had a front view, first floor room - very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Wow - we fell in love with this place within minutes of arriving. Tucked away down its own track 1km of the main road, this beautifully restored and converted old mill was a gem of a find. Wonderful staff, a great restaurant, beautiful pools fed by spring water surrounded by stunning gardens - we will be coming back. One must try is the spa area in the basement for two people that has to be booked. For 60EUR and hour and a half in there is an absolute steal. Beds were comfortable and the black out shutters meant that I had three wonderful nights of deep deep sleep. Also try the restaurant - we had a wonderful meal there. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 29 May 2018

We didn't stay here but happened to stumble upon it while we were lost and looking for our wine tour. We were greeted by an incredibly helpful and kind man Vincenzo at reception. He helped us by drawing out a map and phoning the tour guide as we had no service and no way of contacting him. The pool and the grounds looked absolutely stunning. We will definitely be back to stay!

Reviewed 21 May 2018

We stayed at "Le pozze di Lecchi" to attend our friend's wedding in a castle nearby and simply fell in love with this hotel. The staff is basically composed by a whole local family, you can tell they are really proud of what they offer and they are always ready to do the extra mile for their customers. We felt part of the family, Vincenzo and Sandro at the reception made it possible for us to explore the surroundings, booked a wine tasting for our group, shared their experience with us.
The swimmingpool is stunning, amazing views and silence.
We had dinner there only once, wild boar and ravioli are delicious, perfect match to the excellent local wine.
Our last evening we had the wellness center just for the two of us and it definitely got over our expectations. The tub is hand-carved stone!
Breakfast is a plus, fresh fruit salad was delicious, not to mention you can sit outside in a lovely terrace.
Will go back for sure.

Room Tip: We were staying in room 304
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Hotel Le Pozze Di Lecchi (Gaiole in Chianti) from 5/1/2018 to 5/4/2018

We had the opportunity to stay at Hotel Le Pozze Di Lecchi on our very first trip to Italy. We booked the hotel after finding it on Booking.com. The review were good, and the price was right on budget, so I booked. We would be staying at Hotel Le Pozze Di Lecchi, after spending several days in Roma and Venezia (Venice). Since the hotel was in a remote region, it would require a train transfer and a cab ride from the closest (commuter) train station. Since this was our first trip abroad (and I wanted to make the travel experience as easy as possible), we opted to take the bullet train (Frecciarossa trains) from Venice to Florence.

From there, the tour guide (which we used to take us wine tasting in the area for the next 2 days) picked us up from the train station. This avoided us having to transfer from the bullet train, to a commuter train, with all of our luggage. I mention all of this, because you need to know, that this hotel (and all others in the area) are remote. No regular cab service is available (but you can hire a cab).

Hotel Le Pozze Di Lecchi is about a 40min drive from Siena (the closest “large” town). I mention transportation as an issue, as it became important during our stay.
As we entered the hotel (late afternoon), we were immediately welcomed by the manager. I am sorry I do not recall his name, but I’m horrible with names. He quickly checked us in, and asked for our passports, which he kept until the next morning. Don’t worry. He will give them back! He needed them to register us. Of the three hotels we stayed at, this was the only hotel that kept our passports for a bit…but the other hotels were Marriott’s. I’m sure they are a lot more automated!

He quickly explained the features of the hotel and asked about our dinner plans. We told him we had none. He then asked about our transportation, and was visibly surprised when we told him that we had none (other guest had rental cars). He mentioned that their dining room was closed for the night, but quickly recommended a nice little restaurant “just 10min walk from here”. This tuned out to be the excellent Ristorante Malborghetto in the town of Lecchi. He said he could supply us with an umbrella (it was raining a bit) and a torch (a flashlight) and direct us to the path through the woods. We looked a bit shocked, and he offered a “cold dinner” (meats and cheeses) if we didn’t want to walk. We decided to go for it, and the manager called and made reservations on the spot. He then gave us the key to our room (it’s an actual key) and escorted us to the room, via a tiny elevator (We discovered that all elevators in Italy are small, compared to the states).

We booked the Junior Suite (Room 106), and were delighted to get the exact room that is pictured on the site (we later discovered that this was the ONLY room like this). Large bed and beautiful bathroom with a large jacuzzi tub…and no shower. WHAT?! Yep…I made a goof. No shower. The jacuzzi tub has a detachable hand “wand shower” that is popular in Europe. Other rooms had showers (but no jacuzzi tub). This was an issue with my wife (at first), but by the end of the stay, she said she looked forward to a nice jacuzzi in the morning…and wish we have more time to enjoy it!

The room is large (by Italian hotel standards) and rustic. It has all the creature comforts, but I wouldn’t call it “luxury” décor” but more like “rustic luxury”. It a beautiful converted mill and reflects that charm. It was a bit striking, (as we had just stayed in a stunning 5-star J.W. Marriott the night before), but it’s rustic charm (and the excellent and attentive service from the service) win us over before the end of the night.
Tired from travel, my wife and I wanted to clean up and relax a bit. At check-in, I had noticed a small cooler of meats in the lobby, along with a nice wine display. I took the stairs to the lobby and started to select some meats and wine. The manager immediately asked if I wanted some cheeses as well. I told him yes, and he instructed me to head up to the room, and they would bring it right up (along with a bucket of ice). About 10 minutes later, a staff member brought a beautiful display of meats and cheeses to our room. Two nice stem glasses and an uncorked bottle of wine (which I selected earlier). Such attention to detail and friendliness of the staff continued through our entire stay.

They server traditional Italian breakfast in the dining room every morning and dinner in the same room on most nights. They need to know in advance, if you will be dining with them..so let them know in the morning (It’s a small staff). Breakfast would rate a 8 (out of 10), while dinner rated a 6.5.
They have a stunning outdoor pool, fed by spring water. It is NOT heated, so unless you are there in the heat of the summer, it‘s too cold. In any event, it a lovely area to sit and have a drink or two.

They have a very nice spa area, that requires advanced reservations. It’s a private spa for two…so plan ahead. I did not know this, or I would have booked some time for my wife and I. On our last day there, we had mentioned being disappointed in not visiting the spa area. Again, the manager gave us a private tour of the spa rooms, personally. He was obviously very proud of his hotel.

Overall, Hotel Le Pozze Di Lecchi is a beautifully restored mill, set in the rolling hills of the Chanti region. The grounds and surrounding woods are peaceful and equally stunning, drawing you in and forcing you to slow down a bit. My wife and I did something we hadn’t done in 35 years. We took a stroll around the grounds, ending up on the banks of the small stream, under the bridge. We just listened to the wind in the trees for over an hour. It was bliss. I highly recommend this hotel, if you need a little peace and quiet.

Remember, transportation can be an issue (to and from) so plan ahead. Also, the 1.3K road to the hotel is unpaved and not for the faint of heart. Other than that….It’s a wonderful place.

Dwayne C.

Room Tip: The Junior suite has a Jacuzzi but no shower. A hand wand is all you get so be aware.