All reviews elena nappa other guests cooking class chianti region the main house coffee cake lasagna hand drawn map dogs and cats tuscan kitchen home base new friends cook book owner elena tuscan experience glass of wine kitchen table
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Another terrific visit with Elena and her warm & gracious staff. This is the perfect location to just sit and soak up the Chianti atmosphere, or use as a home base for side trips. We went to Vinci for a visit to the Leonardo da Vinci Museum, to Lucca, and as always, to Radda in Chianti. Our late evening arrival allowed us to stumble onto the end of the cooking class, which the other guests/students invited us to join, essentially after the fact. In other words, we got there just in time to eat the fruits of their labors under Elena's tutelage! As a courtesy to the group, we did the dishes afterward. It's that kind of a place. Everyone is informal and friendly. We hated to leave after five days, which means we will return again. Our suite in the main building was charming and comfortable. One of Elena's two four-legged greeters, Pasqualina, has "gone over the rainbow bridge," but Giuseppina was still there to welcome us, even if her greeting was a bit more subdued than usual. This is the place to stay when you're in the Chianti region of Italy.

Room Tip: There are stairs to some rooms, so if you have any challenges, ask for a villa.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
ElenaNappa, Proprietario at Borgo Argenina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear guests, thank you for your warm review. How lucky for all of us that you 'stumbled' upon our cooking class - it was lovely to share the delicious dishes with you and add even more friends to the already close and friendly group. Thank you for loving the Borgo so much and for appreciating what makes it so special. Guiseppina and I await your next visit.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My partner and I stayed 3 nights at this wonderful hotel in Chianti. Our room was lovely and located on the main level. Elena is super warm, friendly and wonderful company. Her ‘angels’ as she calls the two staff are fantastic and really go out of their way to make you feel at home. The beds are very good but I have been having some back issues while traveling so to make it extra soft I slept with a blanket under me. The Angels noticed this and added an extra layer to the bed making it perfectly soft. Take a cooking lesson with Elena. Making home made pasta is a wonderful experience - you feel like you are cooking with a trusty authentic Italian Mama!!! We visited the local wineries and explored the Etruscan baths about a 2 hour drive way. All in all we had a wonderful and will stay loyal her next time. Thank again!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Christine, thank you for your review! I love that I was able to make you feel like you were in 'famiglia' during the cooking class, it was a pleasure to share some of my family's recipes with you. I will pass on your message to my 'angels' - they are truly amazing and I couldn't do what I do without them, so thank you for acknowledging their goodness. Please come back soon to your Tuscan home-away-from-home!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was the perfect based for our several day stop in Chianti. We love the beauty of the location, the well-tended property with many charming details including a welcoming breakfast, well-appointed rooms, and a charming and quirky hostess. The only mild cautions for potential visitors are :1) the only ingress and egress is via a half-mile gravel road that is not for the faint of heart: it is pretty rough going and requires a slow and steady driver; 2) in our room, the bathroom included a large tub with hand sprayer only. This means a little agility was required to wash one's hair. 3) As one would expect for a facility of this vintage, in a number of places the steps are uneven and the footing less than secure. I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone with mobility challenges.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Marian, thank you for your review. I appreciate you pointing out some of the features that might be important to consider for some travellers - I suppose they all add to the rustic charm and authenticity of the Borgo. I'm so glad you chose to make Borgo Argenina your homebase while discovering the beautiful Chianti region, please come back soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Elena was enchanting. Borgo Argenina was the perfect place to experience Tuscany. The vineyards, the breakfast, cypress trees... The highlight was our cooking class!!! Time with Elena in her kitchen, the food...!!!! It was a memory for a lifetime. There couldn’t be a better place! We enjoyed every magic moment!! Elena recommended the sights and cities and vineyards!!! Don’t hesitate to book!

Room Tip: Book a private villa if possible
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Annamarie, what a beautiful review you've left me! Thank you so much, I loved getting to know you and sharing the wonderful evening cooking with you. It is always such a pleasure to watch my guests fall under the spell of the Borgo and the stunning Chianti countryside, and I hope you come back soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went to Borgo Argenina on the first stop of a girls trip. Nestled in the chianti region- a 35 min ride from Siena, Elena’s Borgo offered tranquility and connection to the region. We arrived by taxi - and were warmly greeted by Elena and her dog Giuseppina. After an afternoon nap, Elena invited us into her kitchen as though we were family. Though without a car unlike the other guests, Elena graciously offered her assistance and suggestions for our itinerary including same day reservations with the other guests at a local restaurant and her onsite cooking class. There was an ease and comfort in knowing this wasn’t just a place, it was a home, and that feeling transcended throughout our few days. Her cooking class was the highlight as we shared the kitchen and bottles of wine with the other guests . Would recommend to anyone seeking comfort, peacefulness and beautiful surroundings.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest, what a pleasure it is to read your review. For you to feel at home at Borgo Argenina is the best compliment I could receive. It was my pleasure to cook with you and send you for what I knew would be a delicious and memorable dinner. Please come back soon - the tastes, sights, smells sounds and experiences of the Chianti region are never-ending, and you will always have a Tuscan home waiting for you at Borgo Argenina.